electrohome console fm radio not working

beamer62

I just picked up a Electrohome Fiesta tube stereo console. Looks like it is from the mid 60's. Everything works on it, accepts the fm radio. Anybody know what's wrong with it and how to fix it. It has amazing sound for the age of the unit.

Check to see if the tube filaments are lighting. That tuner uses series-strung filaments (like Xmas lights, if one is out it takes out the whole string). If none light, have the tubes tested or at least use an ohmmeter to find the open filament tube(s).

If the tubes do light, make sure you have a decent antenna connected. If so, wiggle the tubes slightly by their tips to see if you get any crackle or noise. Might have dirty and intermittant tube sockets (spray with contact cleaner). Checking tube voltages after that, and potentially replacing capacitors and out-of spec resistors.

RWood

Check to see if the tube filaments are lighting. That tuner uses series-strung filaments (like Xmas lights, if one is out it takes out the whole string). If none light, have the tubes tested or at least use an ohmmeter to find the open filament tube(s).

If the tubes do light, make sure you have a decent antenna connected. If so, wiggle the tubes slightly by their tips to see if you get any crackle or noise. Might have dirty and intermittant tube sockets (spray with contact cleaner). Checking tube voltages after that, and potentially replacing capacitors and out-of spec resistors.

RWood

Is that schematic just teh tuner, or the whole system? I see a OPT powered from a 50C5, and it shows a phono jack, so, if the OP says "everything works but teh tuner" the filaments, and amp must be working...
I don't see a switch to select tuner/phono,,, there has to be a way to select, which may be open.... But, I'm new here, trying to learn also...
Regards,
John

It appears the schematic is the whole system, unless there were more than one variation dubbed Fiesta.

If all you have are 5 tubes, and it is not impossible, just unlikely being it is FM. Assuming for now it is, if FM is not working, it is most likely dirty tube pins. Rocking the tubes as mentioned above would reveal if that were the issue.

Must be the wrong schematic, it's not stereo and there's no FM. The schematic shows a hot chassis All American 5ive tube radio.

Back
Top Bottom