Elna Silmic II caps - voltage rating?

I just want to hear the music as it was laid down by the musician and engineer. Remastered or not...

If the gear( caps and other electronics ) are adding distortion... I want to eliminate that....

I think it's fair if you choose to add some bass or treble.... But it should be by your choice, not by mistake of gear. Blurry caps only get in the way.

Also fair for the gear manufacturer to Voice the system how they choose.

When you hear a super clean/clear system... You only want more....not less goose bumps....and all the more so if the system happens to be 45 years old.

Too many times we confuse blurry bass for deep bass notes... They are not the same. Caps can affect lows and highs. Blurry bass is the fault of the electronics or the speakers... Deep bass just seems to go lower and lower.... Same for any note.

This why a super clean/clear system general needs more power and can be played louder without being fatiguing. There is much less blurring junk being added to the sound....and then you need more peak power for it seem loud. But you can heard the details cleanly...

You heard the difference between a cymbal and tambourine....bass fiddle and bass organ...

Just my 2 cents.... The right voltage caps will generally add nothing more in $, but will add to the sonics.... Especially true for electrolytics...

Last edited:
Sometimes distortion helps to make poorly made record listenable. Right now I am playing "If you can believe your eyes and ears" by The Mamas and The Papas. Attempt to listen it through Bryston amp resulted in very poo sound, while using SET amp (with 100 times more distortions) made it acceptable.

Who says two wrongs don't make a right.... Maybe it was intended to listen to it with the aid of LSD...after all it was in the middle of the flower power days.... The title seems to suggest it.

Sometimes distortion helps to make poorly made record listenable. Right now I am playing "If you can believe your eyes and ears" by The Mamas and The Papas. Attempt to listen it through Bryston amp resulted in very poo sound, while using SET amp (with 100 times more distortions) made it acceptable.

...or, it may just be the way you're remembering the song, from back in the day. Likely, the audio equipment you originally heard the song on sounded 'good' to you at the time, and you liked the song that way. Now that you're hearing it cleanly, the song is not as you remember it.
Many find this disconcerting, and prefer the original 'sound', as they enjoyed the song back in the day, especially if the song brought out some positive emotions at the time, that they are not experiencing today.
Well, we're less emotional, at least some of us, at our advanced age...
fewer hormones, I guess.:D

...or, it may just be the way you're remembering the song, from back in the day. Likely, the audio equipment you originally heard the song on sounded 'good' to you at the time, and you liked the song that way. Now that you're hearing it cleanly, the song is not as you remember it.
Many find this disconcerting, and prefer the original 'sound', as they enjoyed the song back in the day, especially if the song brought out some positive emotions at the time, that they are not experiencing today.
Well, we're less emotional, at least some of us, at our advanced age...
fewer hormones, I guess.:D

I am not THAT old to remember it when this album was first released. My sistem is transparent to hear most errors in recording and mastering. Using SET amp makes it less sensitive to record quality. Also I suspect that mastering is usually done with specific playback gear in mind, and back then customers unlikely had amplifiers with 0.003 distortion at over 200W power.

Yeah, talk about mastering, there were studios with a crappy 4" car speaker in studio so they could see how it would sound in your car! Oh well.:scratch2:

So I am about to break my voltage rule, kind of....... In my 7t...

I am about to order a 600v 25uf Wima film for a 6.3v feedback cap... Well, films caps do not live by the same rules as electrolytics... The problem beside the 600v... The Wima is 1.75"x1.5x.75" I have the room, but I am having doubts that it will be better than the 6.3v Silmic in there now...

But I am loving the 250v Wima 15uf film caps in place of the Silmic electrolytics coupling caps.... 250v film vs 35v electrolytic.

Electrolytics are critical to used the least voltage... Films are much more forgiving....

Much different rules for films.

JohnK

have messed with quite a few films in Marantz gear.

Wima about 13.00-15.00 bucks?

How about Mundorf MKP 22uf 250V and not that large, same price as wima

Also I can offer you to try I have a pair of Sonicaps .1 uf ready to bypass them silmics with....and at that point the silmic/sonicap combo will be very very hard to beat, you would have to enter Mundorf Supreme territory and not only will it not fit, they are 83 bucks each.

let me know?

So I am about to break my voltage rule, kind of....... In my 7t...

I am about to order a 600v 25uf Wima film for a 6.3v feedback cap... Well, films caps do not live by the same rules as electrolytics... The problem beside the 600v... The Wima is 1.75"x1.5x.75" I have the room, but I am having doubts that it will be better than the 6.3v Silmic in there now...

But I am loving the 250v Wima 15uf film caps in place of the Silmic electrolytics coupling caps.... 250v film vs 35v electrolytic.

Electrolytics are critical to used the least voltage... Films are much more forgiving....

Much different rules for films.

JohnK

I tried the Mundorfs before in tube units.... They were light year over what was in it.

Lets see what the Wimas do for me first. I always bypass larger caps ( film or electrolytics ) will smaller films.... I order a bag full .... Nothing special for the bypasses. Usually a good polypropylene.

I get hung up more on the material and the construction than the brand.

My tube amp build my get the whole hog thrown at it...but even that will be a slow roll... I will start with something good and upgrade once I make measurements.

Some of the coupling caps in the 7c were ceramics... Every other cap in the unit was light years better... But they choose ceramic coupling cap for a reason....to suit their ears or the speaker at the time or the recordings/source material back then.

Jk

keep us updated.

I tried the Mundorfs before in tube units.... They were light year over what was in it.

Lets see what the Wimas do for me first. I always bypass larger caps ( film or electrolytics ) will smaller films.... I order a bag full .... Nothing special for the bypasses. Usually a good polypropylene.

I get hung up more on the material and the construction than the brand.

My tube amp build my get the whole hog thrown at it...but even that will be a slow roll... I will start with something good and upgrade once I make measurements.

Some of the coupling caps in the 7c were ceramics... Every other cap in the unit was light years better... But they choose ceramic coupling cap for a reason....to suit their ears or the speaker at the time or the recordings/source material back then.

Jk

Back
Top Bottom