Has anyone ever heard of Wharfedale W.50 Series??

Bigwoo

I have only heard of the E50 model series and have never heard of these model W.50's. There's a family cleaning out a pair of W Series W.50 locally and I'm wondering if these are worth driving across town for? I can only guess that they are from the mid 80's. The lady sent pics and mentioned that they're quite heavy, so I'm cautiously optimistic.... Any sound experience with these?

I've got an old pair of beautiful JBL cabinets and I thought that maybe if nothing else, I could use these drivers.....:scratch2:

Attachments

• IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 63
I have E.50s and E.90s and love their sound. They're the best speakers I've ever had by far.

Unfortunately, I've not had experience with the W series. to the untrained eye, the drivers look pretty similar.

If they're not going to cost much, and it's only a short drive, I wouldn't hesitate. Having said this, if they're in good condition, I personally would make the effort regardless.

If you do go for it, please let us know what you think!

Dan :music:

I'd go, too. 95db sensitivity is quite efficient; opens up lots of amp choices, including ultra low power tubes. Or, thunderous, explosives dynamics with solid state.

I have a pair of W.30s and they sound very nice. I particularly like them with my Pilot Tube amp.

OK, Thanks guys. I'll take a chance for $50. I'm on my way to get them right now. I'll report back this coming weekend as soon as I can make the space for them.

Not many crap Wharefdales around, bet those sound good. Look very similar to the E line with different tweet and maybe mids.

Hi guys,
I picked up the Wharf's early in the week and have been pretty impressed. This is my 1st experience w/ Wharfedale. They sound especially great with classic rock/hard rock, so no complaints at all from my end of the deal!
I'm pretty surprised by the detail that was sunk into the mid's, cabinet interior and crossovers....
Not too shabby!

FYI to Dan,
I'd dare say that these sound better (meaning a bit warmer and more rich/textured) than my vintage James B. Lansing's and vintage RtR's and are comparable to my TOTL vintage N.E.A.R set, which is saying a lot. Probably no way I'm going to gut these for the JBL cabs....Too nice the way they are.

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom