How do you capture your stereo system with the lights down?

70'sMusic

My-Pioneer-(small).jpg Hi Everyone,

Given the vast talent of this forum I need your help with a unique "product" shot. I want to capture my gear running with the lights almost out, but I haven't figured out how to do that without the meters being exposed and everything else almost black, or with a little ambient light added which changes the "look" I am seeking. So, how do you capture your stereo gear with the lights turned down real low or off and still expose for the controls and knobs? Attached is a natural light shot where I have a few lights in my kitchen behind me shinning onto the walls, but that's not the effect I want.

Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

Not sure what you want. Do you mean some ambient light but almost none?
Don't know what camera you are using, but the problem will be that automatic exposure will try to brighten up the average no matter how much you darken the room light. Hence dials will be way overexposed. You must at least have a +/- exposure adjustment on whatever camera you are using so you can over-ride the automatic attempt to make the whole picture lighter.
If you are using your cell phone, it probably has a light/dark adjustment, but it's hard to say if it will have enough range for what you want.

Not sure what you want. Do you mean some ambient light but almost none?
Don't know what camera you are using, but the problem will be that automatic exposure will try to brighten up the average no matter how much you darken the room light. Hence dials will be way overexposed. You must at least have a +/- exposure adjustment on whatever camera you are using so you can over-ride the automatic attempt to make the whole picture lighter.
If you are using your cell phone, it probably has a light/dark adjustment, but it's hard to say if it will have enough range for what you want.

Great point, thank you. I'm shooting using manual and I could easily "fix" it in post, but I know I can do this using light. Enclosed is an example of the original image using the ambient light. My first thought is to use a small video light and shine it on the bottom portion of my receiver to light up the controls. How would you go about bringing out the lower portion of this receiver?

My-Pioneer-at-Night-(small).jpg

Low ambient lighting with directional lights. I just use regular house lamp(s) and or filtered sunlight. Candle light will work, but you'll need to use a slow shutter speed and a tripod. Using these types of light, the hue will be warmer (orange-yellow).

Play with lights, tune the intensity, by moving them farther back or closer. Move them around to get directional light that cast shadows or shine. And mess with the exposure. You can also play with the aperture to tweak the depth of field.

For more info. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/photography-101-basics.65858/

Have fun!

501-1.jpg

Marantz_2265B.jpg

Last edited:
You might try setting up for a really long exposure (>30 sec's) and while the shutter is open take a flash light and shine it around the areas you want to high light. I tried doing this with some shots I took a long time ago of my camera's and it turned out pretty neat.

You might try setting up for a really long exposure (>30 sec's) and while the shutter is open take a flash light and shine it around the areas you want to high light. I tried doing this with some shots I took a long time ago of my camera's and it turned out pretty neat.
I've tried that. You nearly need a tripod to hold the camera steady. It's almost impossible to hold it in your hand without getting a blurry picture. Otherwise, it produces a very good result.

I've tried that. You nearly need a tripod to hold the camera steady. It's almost impossible to hold it in your hand without getting a blurry picture. Otherwise, it produces a very good result.

Very true, I was using really crazy high ISO's like 25,000 and although I could use a higher shutter speed, even with my Nikon D500 it introduced a lot of noise.

Ok, thanks! A little light painting, I'm with you. Forgot about light painting...

Low ambient lighting with directional lights. I just use regular house lamp(s) and or filtered sunlight. Candle light will work, but you'll need to use a slow shutter speed and a tripod. Using these types of light, the hue will be warmer (orange-yellow).

Play with lights, tune the intensity, by moving them farther back or closer. Move them around to get directional light that cast shadows or shine. And mess with the exposure. You can also play with the aperture to tweak the depth of field.

For more info. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/photography-101-basics.65858/

Have fun!

View attachment 1420746

View attachment 1420747

Thank you for sharing! I like that first shot a lot, will try it and share my results. :)

Have fun!

View attachment 1420746

View attachment 1420747

PS: One thing I tried was a long exposure and it worked as far as exposing the image correctly. But, I lost the "dramatic lighting" effect I am seeking.

PS: One thing I tried was a long exposure and it worked as far as exposing the image correctly. But, I lost the "dramatic lighting" effect I am seeking.
Try bringing the light source closer and a shorter exposure. You just have to experiment and try different combinations.

Double exposer.. 1st expose for meters and dial lighting in the dark then turn off the unit and use a grey card to determine the correct exposer for the faceplate and controls.
Digitally you can stack multiple images in post.
PQ.

Back
Top Bottom