Looking For a Good Streamer

dr*audio

Fish fingers and custard!
I am looking for a good music streamer. I want to:
1. Listen to radio stations all over the world.
2. Stream audio from any website, like Hoopla.
3. Play shared music directories from my Linux computer over the network.
I could get an Andover Audio Songbird, but it doesn't support Hoopla. If I want to play Hoopla or music from a website I would have to play it on my cell phone and connect to the Songbird by bluetooth.
Is there a streamer I could get that I could just navigate to any website and play music?

Sounds like you need a computer (or a tablet), not a streamer device (generally audio only).
I have a copy of PiCorePlayer running on a Raspberry Pi - with lots of available features and plugIns, but I have not seen a hoopla feature.
It will handle a lot of web radio sites - look up stations and add them as favorites or whatever,
and you can point it to a drive with your music files, but it's not a web browser, per se.

PiCP-Buttons-20211218.png

Qobuz-SRV-TPA-192_5624.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a computer (or a tablet), not a streamer device (generally audio only).
I have a copy of PiCorePlayer running on a Raspberry Pi - with lots of available features and plugIns, but I have not seen a hoopla feature.
It will handle a lot of web radio sites - look up stations and add them as favorites or whatever,
and you can point it to a drive with your music files, but it's not a web browser, per se.

View attachment 2434672
I thought of using a tablet or micro computer with an external DAC but I wanted it to be as self contained as possible. If I have to control it through the cell phone that would be ok, I just don't want to have to stream from my cell phone to the streamer if I can avoid it.

Define "self-contained." I can see my RPi on my WiFi network and control it with my iPhone, my iPad, or my MacPro upstairs.
Once I had loaded some preset "Favorites" (the buttons in the first image) I can actually tap buttons right on the touchScreen to make choices, pause it, etc.
Of course, the DAC underneath is connected to my preamp and amp via RCA cables.

Define "self-contained." I can see my RPi on my WiFi network and control it with my iPhone, my iPad, or my MacPro upstairs.
Once I had loaded some preset "Favorites" (the buttons in the first image) I can actually tap buttons right on the touchScreen to make choices, pause it, etc.
Of course, the DAC underneath is connected to my preamp and amp via RCA cables.
I would ideally like to buy one unit, with analog outputs to connect to my stereo. I don't mind controlling it with my smart phone. Just don't want to have to buy a separate DAC. Something similar to the Songbird, that had a built in web browser.

At one time I would have suggested a Volumio Primo as an "all in one" solution, but they seem to be having issues with their recent major version upgrade.

Most of my builds use the Raspberry Pi Zero W ( and the new Zero 2 W ) as platforms for streamers. You still need a DAC, I've used a good phone dongle which makes for a compact device.

Mark Gosdin

I just had a thought: I have an older smart phone I've been using for this purpose, just plugging the headphone out into the Aux input. What if I just bought a DAC to use with it? Heather, how is that Topping DAC? Does it have a USB input? Or is there a good DAC with a bluetooth receiver in it?

Well, since the Andover Audio Songbird will do everything I need, I ordered one. Thanks for the suggestions.

The Bluesound Node 2i provides access to hundreds, if not thousands, of radio stations worldwide via iHeart Radio, Radio Paradise, TuneIn, and others; and will stream music form a number of subscription services. The Node 2i can access music saved to external storage devices via a USB input. I do not know if it is setup to run with Hoopla, but I'm using both Qobuz and Amazon HD with mine. It has a built in DAC with analog outputs for connection direct to your stereo, and has several digital output options if you ever get the itch to try an external DAC. The Node 2i can be controlled via Bluetooth from a smartphone, tablet, or computer.

I’ve had a bluesound Node2i for more than a year. I’m so impressed with it I bought two more for other systems in the house. There’s nothing even close that can do what it does as well for the same money.

He's already bought a hardware solution - https://www.amazon.com/Andover-Audio-Songbird-Internet-Streamer/dp/B08LW2MCCD/

And for $150, he's WELL under the cost of the Bluesound Node 2i device.
And - he sounds pretty happy with his choice.

Well, since the Andover Audio Songbird will do everything I need, I ordered one. Thanks for the suggestions.
The Andover Audio Songbird sounds marvelous! Using TuneIn I am listening to my local classical station, which besides being plagued with interference, uses compression and limiting on the audio. Listening on the Songbird, the compression is gone, along with the noise. Sounds like a CD.

I think I would have gone with WiiM which I believe has a newer version of the Linkplayer software. Though, I am not sure how their DACs compare. It will do 24/192 out of the optical port , though, while I believe the Songbird only sends 16/44.1 out of the optical output.

I think I would have gone with WiiM which I believe has a newer version of the Linkplayer software. Though, I am not sure how their DACs compare. It will do 24/192 out of the optical port , though, while I believe the Songbird only sends 16/44.1 out of the optical output.
I have no use for the optical output.

I have no use for the optical output.
Yeah, I think some other people will read this and I want them to be aware that the Wiim has newer software despite the fact that either would fill your needs. The Wiim can also be found for around $90. It has features like AirPlay 2, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, etc. All features you don’t need, but something that might be useful when people are looking at thread titles with “streamer” in them.

In order to get the highest bitrate out you have to use the optical out then? I would plan on hooking up to my old reciever with cables. Amazon HD would be the same as well? Needing a optical out of the Wiim? For $90 it looks like it would take care of all of my needs.

In order to get the highest bitrate out you have to use the optical out then? I would plan on hooking up to my old reciever with cables. Amazon HD would be the same as well? Needing a optical out of the Wiim? For $90 it looks like it would take care of all of my needs.
The WiiM does up to 24/192 out of its aux out or its optical out. The Songbird is capped at 16/44.1 out of the digital output.

I bought a Up2stream 4 or 5 months ago. Looks like same company. It really struggles with Amazon. I have 100/50 internet and other programs are lightning fast. I wish I would have got the Wiim instead,more features and looks. Can you comment on how Amazon music plays through the Wiim? Thanks for all your assistance so far.

I bought a Up2stream 4 or 5 months ago. Looks like same company. It really struggles with Amazon. I have 100/50 internet and other programs are lightning fast. I wish I would have got the Wiim instead,more features and looks. Can you comment on how Amazon music plays through the Wiim? Thanks for all your assistance so far.
I listen to Amazon all the time on the Songbird with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom