"Major League II" - What high-end speakers were in Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn's House?

Gang-Twanger

Resident Wharfedaliophool
The film came out in 1994. I tried like hell to find a clip or at least a picture from the scene where you see them, but no dice (I would do a screen-capture from the DVD, but I don't know how). Anyway, they show them at 57:45 in the film, right when Vaughn's snooty agent/girlfriend (German blond hottie Alison Doody) is walking down the spiral staircase, about to get dumped by Vaughn who's waiting at the bottom (The speakers are right behind him in plain view).

Now, I've seen these speakers before, but I just can't remember who made them. Kind of a cross between the big Legacy stuff and the big TAD's. They're about 4ft tall, on stands, and they have a sort of '4-sided oval' shape (contoured on the top and bottom) with what looks like two 12" woofers one on top of another with a big tweeter above the woofers and an identical one down below them on the bottom, all front-firing. The cab looks to be a walnut color. Nice-looking stuff. I've definitely seen these a few times in the past, but I'm drawing a blank on the name. They were pretty-popular among the high-end crowd back then, if i remember correctly.

Anybody?

The film came out in 1994. I tried like hell to find a clip or at least a picture from the scene where you see them, but no dice (I would do a screen-capture from the DVD, but I don't know how). Anyway, they show them at 57:45 in the film, right when Vaughn's snooty agent/girlfriend (German blond hottie Alison Doody) is walking down the spiral staircase, about to get dumped by Vaughn who's waiting at the bottom (The speakers are right behind him in plain view).

Now, I've seen these speakers before, but I just can't remember who made them. Kind of a cross between the big Legacy stuff and the big TAD's. They're about 4ft tall, on stands, and they have a sort of '4-sided oval' shape (contoured on the top and bottom) with what looks like two 12" woofers one on top of another with a big tweeter above the woofers and an identical one down below them on the bottom, all front-firing. The cab looks to be a walnut color. Nice-looking stuff. I've definitely seen these a few times in the past, but I'm drawing a blank on the name. They were pretty-popular among the high-end crowd back then, if i remember correctly.

Anybody?
I'll check it out tonight since I own both movies.

I'll check it out tonight since I own both movies.

Thanks, man... They're in a few scenes before that one at 57:45. Just start looking for scenes of Vaughn in his big, expensive mansion. The speakers are how I described, but I forgot to mention that they also have these rectangular (verticle rectangle, that is) panels attached to the left and right side of each speaker, and each panel houses two large-sized, front-facing dome-drivers (like the dome-mids on ADS speakers).

I'm sure you'll recognize them right away... But they look impressive.

Thanks, man... They're in a few scenes before that one at 57:45. Just start looking for scenes of Vaughn in his big, expensive mansion. The speakers are how I described, but I forgot to mention that they also have these rectangular (verticle rectangle, that is) panels attached to the left and right side of each speaker, and each panel houses two large-sized, front-facing dome-drivers (like the dome-mids on ADS speakers).

I'm sure you'll recognize them right away... But they look impressive.
I do recognize them, but the bloody name escapes me. Nice looking for sure.

I do recognize them, but the bloody name escapes me. Nice looking for sure.

Yeah, I remember seeing them back in the '90's, but I don't have a clue about the performance.

There's a guy I know who has a beautiful assortment of high-end gear (Krell and that sort of thing... He has at least 3 or 4 pairs of modern-day high-end speakers that sell for over $20,000 per pair), but the guy doesn't know (or doesn't WANT to know) a thing about placement, synergy, soundstaging, timbre, etc. I can't help but think, what a waste of such great gear. But this guy is probably an audio guru compared to Rick "Mild Thing" Vaughn (unless Vaughn was cellmates with an audiophile or something).

right when Vaughn's snooty agent/girlfriend (German blond hottie Alison Doody) is walking down the spiral staircase

Doody is Irish not that it matters. As for the speakers, they do look familiar, I do want a pair, and no I don't know what they are.

cubdog

Doody is Irish not that it matters. As for the speakers, they do look familiar, I do want a pair, and no I don't know what they are.

cubdog

Whoops... That's right... I must have been thinking of the character she played in "Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade"...(Elsa Schneider). SHE was German. But you're right, she's Irish. She could be Antartican, and I'd still shag her senseless.

Legacy Audio Whisper series, not sure which model, I think.
Regards,
Jim

You mean Legacy Audio speakers from the '90's, right? I ask because I was thinking Legacy as well, but I can't for the life of me find the model. I remember seeing them back in the day, but I was into car audio at the time and wasn't paying attention to the home stuff.

Back
Top Bottom