McIntosh XLS112 - Nice Subwoofer

jdandy

The McIntosh XLS112 was delivered today. Heavy for its size. Good thing I own a hand cart. I'd have never got this thing upstairs with out it, that and some help from a neighbor.

I have been playing with the XLS112 now for about two hours, so I'm a long way from having it dailed into my system, but initial impressions are it is dead silent, very powerful, goes deep, zero cabinet resonace, and once dialed in will be a solid contributor to my main system's sound. I am already pleased with what I am hearing.

When I installed the left and right cables inside the walls, and through the attic, I also included a stereo mini jack cable so the XLS112 power amplifier can be controlled by the preamp. Of course, without the mini plug, the sub will auto-sense an audio signal, turning itself on immediately, then after 30 minutes of no audio signal the internal 400 watt amplifier returns to standby automatically. Ultimately, I will turn the power on and off using the preamp, but for now I am letting the sub turn on automatically. That way it will remain energized when I turn on and off the C2300 "output 2" during the setup period without deenergizing the amp each time I do an A/B comparison. Once I have the XLS112 accurately adjusted I will plug the mini stereo plug into the XLS112 amplifer and into the preamp "output 2" power port. That way the XLS112 will power down instantly when I turn the C2300 off.

I haven't done enough listening and adjusting yet to give a decent audio report, so for now I just wanted to say it is here, and in the system.

Attachments

• XLS112 Sub 2 sm.jpg
    XLS112 Sub 2 sm.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 87
  • XLS112 Sub 4 sm.jpg
    XLS112 Sub 4 sm.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 87
  • XLS112 Sub 3 sm.jpg
    XLS112 Sub 3 sm.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 90
  • XLS112 Sub 5 sm.jpg
    XLS112 Sub 5 sm.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 109
  • XLS112 Sub 6 sm.jpg
    XLS112 Sub 6 sm.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 103
Congrat's on the sub! It looks like a perfect match to you main speakers. Well done! :thmbsp:

I was going to say the same thing...

Looks like they were made to match the PMC's.

Can't wait for the full review.

Congrat's on the sub! It looks like a perfect match to you main speakers. Well done! :thmbsp:

The XLS112 subwoofer comes from the factory with silver trim pieces on the side of the grill. McIntosh offers several other trim options. I orderd the Natural Cherry option, and it didn't take ten minutes to installed them myself. I had hoped they would be close to the Cherry on the PMC's, and I'm very pleased that it is a perfect match.

You will definately enjoy the sub. Not the loudest, but very accurate, responsive, and with PG & McPower behind it, highly controlled and no woofer bleed.

I really enjoy mine :)

I spent about six hours with the XLS112 subwoofer last night, adjusting the crossover, and gain settings, then A/B testing the subwoofer in and out of the system while using a JBL low frequency test CD, a sound pressure meter, and various pieces of music with strong bass performances. The results were very satisfactory, but it was getting late, and I was getting tired, so I stopped until this morning.

Today, I relocated the XLS112 from the left side of the widescreen to the right side, in an area out of normal foot traffic. The original location made the sub too vulnerable to a misplaced footstep possibly going into the grill cloth, or worse, the subwoofer cone. I did not want to chance it. In the new loction, the settings I made last night were still very close, but I went through the routine again. It took about three hours for the final tweaking, and resulted in the crossover being set at 85Hz, and the gain control at about the 11:00 o'clock position, or about 35% by my guess. The McIntosh 400 watt internal amp has power to spare.

I find the XLS112 subwoofer to be very clean, not loose or boomy at all. This pleases me, because the transmission line bass on the PMC EB1i speakers is solid, tight and deep, and I did not want the sub to extend the lowest part of the bottom octave, and be flabby souding while doing it. The XLS112 is fast to respond to rapid dynamics, and just as quick to stop. The damping factor between the amplifier and the driver, and the amps ability to control the subwoofer is commanding. The cabinet, a combination of extruded aluminum and wood, is solid, dense, and does not add artificial resonance to the XLS112 output. The entire sub, all 87 lbs. of it, is rock solid, and exquisitly constructed. I chose to use the ceramic cone feet, but McIntosh also provides flat bottom slider type feet.

The sound is outstanding. I know it is there, but it is not intrusive. The subwoofer's addition to the sound stage is its ability to create the deepest sounds in the lowest octave with authority, while remaining totally harmonious with my main speakers. It is almost invisible, with the exception of the lowest frequencies, and its contribution there is without glare. It doesn't yell, "Look at me", it whispers, "You know I'm here". That is exactly what I want from a subwoofer, and the XLS112 delivers this with finesse, and without hesitation. The XLS112 is an excellent subwoofer, one I consider a valuable addition to my main system. This was definately a good move.

I have the XLS112 perfectly integrated with the PMC EB1i speakers, and they have been cranking all day to my pleasure. Right now I'm listening to the new Fourplay SACD - Energy, and the sound is mesmerizing, liquid, solid, extraordinary. I am already at the point of no return. The XLS112 subwoofer is an essential part of my system now.

Zone B

Does anyone know if this sub can be used on a zone B of the original MX119, as I have some XLS320's that could use some McBass.
Michael

Does anyone know if this sub can be used on a zone B of the original MX119, as I have some XLS320's that could use some McBass.
Michael

Sure, you can just split the left channel zone B out to create a feed for the sub. You could even put a splitter on both the L & R zone B outs and feed a crossover to mix the content, then feed your sub.

Congrats on the new toy! Pay attention how it will "flesh out" instruments and enhance the soundstage. :thmbsp:

Sure, you can just split the left channel zone B out to create a feed for the sub. You could even put a splitter on both the L & R zone B outs and feed a crossover to mix the content, then feed your sub.
Is there no direct crossover in the subunit to set the frequency to the XLS320's?

I was listening to Jimmy Smith - The Incredible Jimmy Smith CD today, and was in total awe at how his Hammond B3 peddle bass notes rocked the living room. So solid, so deep. Just amazing. The XLS112 sub is an essential part of my whole system. I would not want to be without it.

I love my XLS112, but Ivan has me drooling after a Gotham... :D

God I hate him sometimes... except I don't....

Back
Top Bottom