Open Baffle Epiphany!

Those PE clones are inexpensive. You must have gotten a killer deal on your Lowthers.

I could tell you but then I would have to .............................. :biggrin: Its a 3 K pair of drivers as Im sure you know. the surrounds were gone I ham fisted fixed that and they sound great to me but I want to go ahead and have them completely redone by the factory. I traded some pristine Sennheiser HD800 for them. I thought it was a good deal the senns basically sat around unused for months. I cant see using cans with OB in the house :thumbsup:

Like others here I have vintage zenith speakers. I have the 49cz852 and 49cz873. I’m currently running the 873 open baffle and with subwoofer. I want to do something different with the extra pair. I know this is the open baffle thread but any thoughts about the zenith speakers in an onken cabinet. I was going to ask at diy audio but no one seems to talk about the zenith speakers there.

Isn't true that 45 tube amps have horrible mid-range & really bad imaging.:rflmao:

One day I may have to break down and buy a Yamamoto 45.

a08s_front.jpg

Had 1 a few years back, I found the Wellborne labs DRD , Korneff, Burgess, & DeJa Vu were all better amps. I dont know what they did with the Yamm. but I found it brite & unappealing

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/yamamoto-a08.html

( this guy owns some of the same amps you list )

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/yamamoto2/45.html

I have a friend on AC who drives his Lowthers with the Yama 45 and loves the combination. Your negative comments are the first I've seen.

Like others here I have vintage zenith speakers. I have the 49cz852 and 49cz873. I’m currently running the 873 open baffle and with subwoofer. I want to do something different with the extra pair. I know this is the open baffle thread but any thoughts about the zenith speakers in an onken cabinet. I was going to ask at diy audio but no one seems to talk about the zenith speakers there.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/tested-t-s-parameters-for-zenith-49cz852.5515/

So I bought some 49cz582 off of BT on a bit of whim and to increase the level of quality in my secondary space. I got a friend to cut some baffles for me but he managed to cut the holes a little too large (hence the zip ties). Currently setup in my main space about 2 feet from the wall (yay apartment living).

My thoughts are mostly in line with everyone else. Imaging is incredible. Vocals are wonderful. Bass is a little lite as expected, but no really much worse than my A25s. Really busy pop / rock seems to crowd easily, and overall they can tend to an ever so slight shrillness on these genres, but who knows when these were last turned on. I bet that they may open up a little with time.

These also take no power to drive. I am running a 8W PP tube amp and cant get the pre past 10 o clock before I am run out of the room. The A25s can on occasion suck up all the power the Grundig has to offer.

I can not wait to listen to them more in the coming weeks.

IMG_20200108_131004270.jpg

So I bought some 49cz582 off of BT on a bit of whim and to increase the level of quality in my secondary space. I got a friend to cut some baffles for me but he managed to cut the holes a little too large (hence the zip ties). Currently setup in my main space about 2 feet from the wall (yay apartment living).

My thoughts are mostly in line with everyone else. Imaging is incredible. Vocals are wonderful. Bass is a little lite as expected, but no really much worse than my A25s. Really busy pop / rock seems to crowd easily, and overall they can tend to an ever so slight shrillness on these genres, but who knows when these were last turned on. I bet that they may open up a little with time.

These also take no power to drive. I am running a 8W PP tube amp and cant get the pre past 10 o clock before I am run out of the room. The A25s can on occasion suck up all the power the Grundig has to offer.

I can not wait to listen to them more in the coming weeks.

View attachment 1723273

thanks for sharing. I got a pair of these drivers months ago and didn’t get around to making the baffles yet. this is some motivation for me to do it this weekend :)

let us know if they open up any more

Continued to tool around the internet and this thread and realized I had a hard (brick) wall right behind my test setupIMG_20200108_133957900.jpg . Thanks to my dearly departed grandmother the previously mentioned shrillness is almost all gone. Apparently crocheting saves ears. And the experimenting continues...

Too bad about the cutouts being large thus forcing the use of zip ties for mounting. I believe your Zeniths might sound even better if they were securely mounted to the baffles using screws. My next step would be to have a “do over” with new baffles or configuring some sort of adaptor plate to screw those drivers securely onto the baffles.

In terms of the baffle cut out hole for the 12" Zeniths they fit in the same hole I used for the Eminence Beta 12LTA and that is 10.95" diameter.

I wouldn't go any larger but slightly less would probably be ok.

Decided to give it a go with the OB thing. So far, I am amazed. Now I don't have $$$ speakers to compare them to, but they are at least equal to the new Polk t-50's and they only cost $38 as I did not go for the high dollar Visatron's. I used Visatron BG17's at only $18/each. They are so good, I am considering adding a crossover and a larger driver.....

Kevin

Attachments

• 20200111_184315[1].jpg
    20200111_184315[1].jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200111_184332[1].jpg
    20200111_184332[1].jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200111_184341[1].jpg
    20200111_184341[1].jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200111_184417[1].jpg