PCI card for Firewire...

riverrat

professional camper
OK you PC experts, please advise me on adding some Firewire ports to my Dell Dimension 2400. We picked up a Sony DV video camera recently, and it requires a Firewire interface to import the video into my computer.

I've learned that I can add a PCI card with Firewire and USB ports to one of the empty slots on the back of my computer, and I read a short primer on installing such a device (at TigerDirect) that suggests I can probably handle the install.

But there are shitloads of different kinds of these cards. How do I choose?

Left unattended, I would probably just choose one with a couple of Firewire ports and a couple of USB ports, from a manufacturer I have heard of and a seller where I can return it if need be, and hope for the best. But since Murphy is always at my side, I figure the chances are high I'll have some kind of compatibility problem. Hoping to avoid that.

Help!!!

This is very mature and simple technology. Go with the card that has the port setup you need (internal, front, back, etc).

Also, go with a name brand and not some of the elcheapo cards. I've gone for cost and ended up with some bad results and finally decided for the difference of price it was not worth playing the games.

Thanks for the replies folks. I ordered one from Amazon for $25 that had a raft of good reviews, the cable I need and some (probably rudimentary) video editing software.

Back
Top Bottom