Phono EQ Design + Retrofit to Early Stereo Shure M65 Preamp + Mono Preamps

tubeactive

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Phono EQ Design + Retrofit to the Shure M65

Phono EQ Graph 50-PR.jpg
Various Phono Playback Curves and annotated info.

The SHURE M-65 PHONO STAGE:
DSCF0980.JPG
DSCF0944.JPG
DSCF0974.JPG
Two M65 Units, underside by underside. The first is lightly modified. The other is retro-resto upgraded with three different phono EQ choices: RIAA; AES; 700/800 Hz; plus beefy power supply capacitance "reservoirs" for each channel...

Introduced in 1960 and popularized quickly, Shure’s “Stereo Conversion Preamplifier” phono stage has come to be known as one cool looking and sounding phono preamp. It’s small, cute and sometimes the chrome finish can still be found in stunning condition. Sonically speaking, the factory installed phono stage has some unique playback equalization curves. With only one pair of input jacks and output jacks, the M65 is switchable for Phono, Special, Tape and Mic playback. Most spinning disc users will be using only the Phono position.

Shure uses a unique parts content in their Phono playback EQ curve with 44db of gain for the M65 Function Switch “Phono” position. The “Special” switch position is indeed very special. This is the “stereo conversion preamp” input, converting high impedance, ceramic cartridge inputs on an existing amp into magnetic cartridge inputs with 45db of gain. The Tape switch position is designed with NARTB playback EQ for tape deck heads, with 40db of gain. The Mic switch position is unequalized with 63db gain. 63db is a lot of gain for a 12AX7 phono stage to stay quiet. If you had your turntable plugged into the input jacks, then accidentally switched to the Mic input position, whoa now, that will be some loud sounds….Be careful when switching this input switch. Not only does the switch allow the blastingly loud Mic gain position, the switch itself is a sealed switch, which was noisy during the switching. Caution: Keep your Volume way down as you audition switchable, high gain stage noise and hum possibilities…

According to Shure’s one page, two sided 1960 brochure, the M65 phono playback EQ “incorporates a 3db rise at 10KHz, designed to complement the high frequency characteristic of most magnetic cartridges.” Deciphering the actual phono playback circuit, Shure digresses from the RIAA specified phono EQ. With the RIAA playback EQ curve specifying + or -2db from 30 to 15KHz for playback conformity, Shure can implement their unique playback curve and still publish a phono playback frequency response of (+ or – 1.5db) from 25 to 15KHz for this function’s “nominal characteristic.” Thus, like many manufacturers, their plus or minus 1.5db tolerance is in addition to the plus or minus 2db tolerance permissible within the actual, original RIAA playback curve’s “nominal characteristic” specification.

Let’s get right to the phono EQ circuitry implemented by Shure in their M65 preamp, shall we ? The type of equalization used here is the classic, active feedback topology. Two resistor-capacitor (R-C) parallel combinations of parts are connected in series. One R-C combo is the Bass Boost “pole” while the other is the Treble Rolloff “pole.” The overall feedback network connects to and “starts” from the output, then is fed back to an earlier gain stage. In this case, the overall feedback network connection “returns” to the first gain stage cathode. This active feedback topology utilizes two frequency discriminating network poles, wired in series, which mathematically combine to derive the actual midrange Turnover frequency. The M-65 also has a cathode to cathode, 100KOhm resistor, for some more lowering of distortion and output impedance. As I am initially "prototyping," I lifted this positive feedback R on one end, for possible implementation later...

The RIAA phono playback equalization curve, EQ for short, specifies three frequencies, which relate to the Turnover and Rolloff required. These three freqs. can also be referred to as time constants in microseconds (uSec. or uS):

50Hz (3180 uSec.) for bass, 500Hz (318 uSec.) for actual Turnover, plus 2122Hz (75 uSec.) for treble Rolloff. These RIAA specified frequencies and their associated time constants represent the transition points, or “asymptotes” of their frequency response plots. The 50Hz signifies the point of bass resonance or levelling off and shelving in gain. 500Hz signifies the +3db point above the flat portion of the response curve, with 0db referenced at 1KHz. 2122Hz denotes the -3db point, beginning the required treble Rolloff. So, the actual "flat" portion of the RIAA playback EQ response curve starts a bit above 500Hz and only extends to a bit below 2122Hz. The Turnover denotes the point where the midrange begins its’ upward slope toward bass boost. Rolloff signifies the beginning of the downward slope which “de-emphasizes” the pre-emphasis of the treble which was recorded and cut onto the master disc. Proper playback restores musical balance by reducing the inherent disc surface noise, while boosting the bass which was reduced during record cutting, originally intended to extend playing time on a disc. Hopefully, our preamp’s phono playback EQ curve is close to the exact inverse of the recording curve which was used to “cut” the master disc at the mastering/record cutting studios.

The Shure M65 has a bass pole of 1800pf (.0018uf) in parallel with (signified by //) 7.5Meg Ohms. The M65 treble rolloff pole is composed of 470pf(.00047uf) in parallel with 100K Ohms. Each pole has a time constant, in uSec. or uS, computed by simple R x C = Time Constant. With the two poles placed together in series, they mathematically interact to derive the actual Turnover frequency, also formulated in uSec. In order to convert uSec. to frequency, the mathematical constant of 159,155 (1Hz) is divided by the time constants to yield the exact frequencies, in Hertz.

Therefore, the M65 has its’ bass pole R x C measured as .0018 x 7,500,000 = 13,500 uS or almost 12Hz bass resonance, which can appear as close to turntable rumble territory in some playback systems. The Rolloff pole is .00047 x 100,000, which is 47uS or 3386Hz, not the RIAA curve spec of 75 uSec. or 2122Hz. Hence, this is the curve designed in by Shure, with the "+3db at 10KHz" indicated in their published M65 brochure. How will this sound ? Briefly, this little chrome cutie has impressive bass, sweet mids and lively highs.

But, it also has what I call juicy sounding, or rich mids. Why does it have juicy mids ? Let us look at the analyzing math to see why.

Introduced in the very famous Stanley Lipshitz treatise on analyzing all types of phono preamp EQ circuitry, as published in the Journal of the AES, Volume 27, Issue #6, June 1979, here is the not so complex formula to prove or disprove the specified playback curve’s Turnover frquency conformance:

(R1 x R2) divided by (R1 + R2) results in the resistive multiplier. Then, this multiplier # is multiplied by (C1 + C2), the capacitive multiplier, to arrive at the actual Turnover Frequency, in uSec. Finally, using the mathematical constant of 159,155(which represents the time constant of 1Hz), by dividing the derived uSec. # into 159155, we arrive at the actual frequency of Turnover, in Hz. To illustrate, here is the M65 math computation:

7,500,000 x 100,000 / 7,500,000 + 100,000 yields the resistive multiplier. That resistive multiplier #, multiplied by the (.0018 + .00047 cap combo), the capacitance multiplier, results in the Turnover, but in microseconds. R x C = uSeconds. 159,155 / Turnover uSec. # arrives at the genuine Turnover frequency, in Hz.

If my math was correct, the Shure M65 has a Turnover of nearly 710Hz, not the RIAA specified 500Hz. This is the reason the Shure M65 can be accused of possessing juicy mids…The M65 playback EQ curve begins its’ upward 6db per octave slope for bass boost at a higher than usual frequency, causing rich sounding mids, along with the impressive bass and lively treble. As a multitude of owners of M65s have realized, this sonic character, in combination with certain phono cartridges and sound systems, can sound endearing to many ears.

We can now think about how we can improve the M65 RIAA EQ adherence for better measurable and listenable, possibly reference grade results. Plus, how about we make the "Special" and "Tape" selector positions function as additional choices for differing phono playback EQ curves ? We can simply use the above analytical formulae and change R-C values according to our phono EQ curve preferences. Or, we can use the same math and parts’ values for all three M65 function positions, but use different capacitor and resistor type choices, like polystyrene vs. polyester (mylar) vs. mica vs. polypropylene caps and carbon vs. metal film resistors. It is your choice, once you can decipher the actual preamp EQ wiring layout with the function switch sequence. Tedious, yes, but it’s not rocket science…

As a confirmed audiophile, I can enjoy trying different combos of certain specific capacitors and resistors with the same circuit for a knowledge base of which caps I prefer. Yet, as a terminal music appreciator, the sweet sound of music via spinning grooved discs is more important to me, these days. It's all about playing the records....I do closely match stereo channel’s EQ Resistor-Capacitor parts values to 2% or lower, though. Tight tolerances for matching parts values give great results.

Some of the music before the RIAA curve was standardized circa 1955, was actually “cut” onto record discs with different playback curves. There is sufficient information available on which discs used which playback EQ curves. Moreover, when delving into the world of early mono 45s, EPs and 78s, the RIAA playback curve does not always work its’ magic.

Two of the playback curves I consider essential, besides the RIAA EQ curve, are the “AES” curve and the “800” playback EQ curves. In 1950, the Audio Engineering Society presented their recommended phono playback curve, mathematically averaged from the many playback curves record manufacturers used before the RIAA was recommended as the standard circa 1953-1954. The AES noble intention in 1950-1951 was simple. If the sound and broadcasting industries could actively standardize, then more equipment and records would inevitably sell better. Literally, commercial and consumer concerns could be met. We would have better phono playback and buy more discs, while the sound industries could produce more enjoyable, consumer compliant equipment, thus creating more demand for software and hardware.

The “AES” phono EQ curve specifies a 400Hz (398uS) Turnover and a 2500Hz (63.6uS) Rolloff for a “ -12db at 10KHz” spec. Bass boost was left optional for studio engineering and record cutting personnel to “mix and cut” at will, provided the end product sounds good via the “AES” playback EQ curve. Many of the earliest 78s and some of the early mono microgroove LP, EP and 45s sound really fine using this playback EQ, especially when the disc was encoded and cut with the complimentary, recording curve specifications. When you look at the top of the page playback curves chart, you would'nt think the 1.7 to 2 db difference in treble rolloff curves between RIAA and AES could sound so significant, but your ears/brain will recognize this and let you quickly know which phono EQ curve is correct for the spinning disc.

The original “800” curve had a Turnover at 800Hz with a -8 db at 10KHz Rolloff spec for one of a few RCA 78 rpm curves. Later, “800” EQ changed to the original 1949 RCA 45 rpm spec, with an 800Hz Turnover and -12db at 10KHz Rolloff, which RCA allegedly utilized from 1949 through 1952, with many of their discs. The “800” curve was known as the “Old RCA” playback curve, not to be confused with RCA's "Old Orthophonic" curve for 78s which had a 500Hz Turnover and -12db at 10KHz Rolloff. Yes, all these curves can be confusing...In late 1952, RCA introduced their all new, drum-roll please, shout the horns, “New Orthophonic” playback EQ curve for all speeds of their discs. Of course, the “New Orthophonic” phono EQ curve was soon destined to become the RIAA standard playback curve.

Have you ever heard the early generation 78s, acoustically recorded, up to 1925, played back with our more modern record players, using a magnetic cartridge through an RIAA equipped phono stage, only to comment how dull the old shellac sounded ? Those very dull sounding discs can often sound much better using the “800” playback curve. Looking at the chart at the top of the page, note the "extra mids" that a 700 to 800Hz Turnover can provide. Slightly dull sounding shellac discs, can often reveal more recorded details using the AES playback curve compared with the usual RIAA curve. This was some of the reasoning for my three EQ choices…

DSCF0954.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0946.JPG
    DSCF0946.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF0951.JPG
    DSCF0951.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Phono EQ Design + Retrofit to the Shure M65: The Retro-Resto Retrofit :

DSCF0966.JPG

DSCF0950.JPG

Looking at the underside, here is the Function Selector switch, now providing three different phono playback EQ curves. The bass pole network 2200pf // 7.74Meg Ohms is common to all three phono curves available. The switch's Phono setting, for the standard RIAA playback EQ curve, consists of 2200pf // 7.74Meg Ohms, in series with 720pf // 104K. This simply required changing the original 1800pf ceramic caps to 2200pf polystyrenes while the original 470pf ceramic caps, which are across the 100K resistors, are replaced with 720pf silver-mica caps.

The selector switch's "Special" position is now set for the "AES" playback EQ. With the original switch arrangement, there are two 150K Ohm resistors on the switch, in series with the common bass pole network. Across these original 150K resistors, which now measure closer to 155K Ohms each, I installed the 410pf mica caps.
R x C = TC or 155000 x .000410 = 63.55 uS. 159155/63.55 = 2504.4 Hz as required for the "AES" EQ Rolloff. Using the analytical math in the first post, actual Turnover is 396.6uS or 401.3Hz; very close to the 400Hz AES spec.
The overall "AES" network is 2200pf // 7.74Meg in series with 410pf // 155K.

As an option for later, the "Special" setting also originally switches in 1Meg Ohm resistors across the bass pole. I disconnected one end of the original 1Meg resistors, but left them in place if I later want to change the bass pole capacitance or resistance. If you check the schematic, on the lower right you should be able to see the switch sequence. While keeping this switch sequence in mind and alternately studying the actual parts and wiring layout at the switch, repetitively, we can soon decipher which parts get replaced or rearranged...

The switch "Tape" setting is now arranged for an "800" type, phono EQ playback curve. Looking at the switch wiring, there were originally 27K Ohm resistors wired on the switch, as the treble pole for the original Tape Head function. I removed these resistors and in their place I installed each R-C parallel combo of 80K // 620 pf. Thus, the overall network for the "800" type EQ curve is 2200pf // 7.74Meg in series with 270pf // 80K Ohms. Here are two units, one "Before and one "After" my Retro-Resto:
DSCF0974.JPG

DSCF0961.JPG

In order to ensure the installed precision EQ networks and existing parts values stay as measured before this retro-resto installation, an extensive amount of small, copper or aluminum "alligator" clips are used during soldering and de-soldering, heat-sinking for any touching parts. For the polystyrene caps, quick soldering is imperative, besides my heat absorbing measures.

Now that the parts could use some warming up and breaking-in, before any sound quality opinions can be considered, I am also planning on rearranging the power supply, with separate cap banks for each channel, a la dual mono fashion. Dual, high capacitance cap banks will yield better separation and soundstage effects, as well as increasing dynamic range impact, which can help my quest for natural sound in high fi. I will let you know...

More info to follow...

Attachments

• DSCF0953.JPG
    DSCF0953.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF0966.JPG
    DSCF0966.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Phono EQ Graph 50-PR.jpg
    Phono EQ Graph 50-PR.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0974.JPG
    DSCF0974.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
We sold them quite regularly. But I much preferred the phono stages in Mac and Marantz tube pre-amps. Of course after SS had been around for a while the M65 was just obsolete being to noisy and colored. The bass was mushy and the highs were in a fog.

I hear you...Shure M65s are among what I have called "those cute, chrome cutie phono stages" through the years...I was first traded one in the very early 1980s. I already owned a Paragon E and soon after a Luxman CL-32. The Shure M65 was a surprise. It wasn't better than my reference E, just different...Flashing forward, nearly forty years later, I still own the Paragon E and the Shure M65.
I enjoy examining the acuracy or inaccuracies within our preamp stages. Then, with some retro-resto, I try to add some optimization. In this case of the M65, having three phono EQs, quickly switchable, makes it quite versatile for spinnin' stereo and the older discs. The soon to be installed "dual mono" cap banks will step it up even more.
If anyone is lucky enough to find one these days, I hope this thread helps them optimize their units...

Last edited:
Thank You setup1 ! You are right about the similarities ! The M65 and PAM-1 have the same cathode to cathode, 100K Ohm feedback R for each channel. Both preamps use a high "bass pole" network resistance, 7.5Meg for the M65 and 10Meg for the PAM-1. But, the original Dyna manual schematic shows a rather high .0032uf bass pole cap across the 10Meg., while the Shure has a .0018 across a 7.5Meg. Then, the Rolloff is so much more versatile on the Dyna, with three choices for RIAA, LP and 78. The Shure is simply hot up top, in stock form.

However, like the Shure M65, the Turnover math also does not prove correct with the Dyna ! 500Hz being our target, here, the actual Turnover for each, according to their published specs, yields approx. 700 Hz for the M65 and 407Hz for the PAM-1! Phono EQ Rolloff for the Shure is only 47uS or 3386Hz. RIAA Rolloff on the Dyna is right on, with 75uS or 2122Hz.

As my Phono EQ obsessions prevail, I decided to decipher the PAM-1 even more. Surely, as a matter of fact, a simple bass pole cap change, identical with my retro-resto Shure M65 application: 2200pf or .0022uf could replace the .0032uf stock Dyna bass cap.
In so doing this simple swap, here are some impressive mathematical results for the Dyna PAM-1 updated Phono EQ:
For the RIAA, Turnover: .0022//10Meg and 750pf//100K yields 292uS or 545Hz, fine and juicy. Higher than needed Turnover freq. is my preference, rather than a lower than wanted frequency....Looking back to the early/mid '50s though, a 400Hz "AES" Turnover was the norm, pre-1954. Interestingly, the Marantz 1 mono pre also began with a 400Hz Turnover for their RIAA position. Dyna wasn't crazy...
For the 78 position: .0022//10Meg and 250pf//100K yields 243uS or 656Hz, helpful with dull acoustical and early electrical 78s, but only minimal rolloff. Why no Scratch filter, like the stereo PAS ? Practically speaking, it is a rare 78 which does not need some extra rolloff...We could turn the Treble control down for some noise reduction...
Now the treat ! For the LP position: .0022//10Meg and 990pf//100K yields a 316uS Turnover of 504Hz ! That is some accuracy !

The Dyna PAM-1 has some serious potential ! Two of them, combined with the Dyna Stereo Controller, made a great, classic, early stereo era, full function preamp.

Thanks again setup1 ! Always great to hear from you ! Best Regards....

Last edited:
Great info! Thanks for the insights and hoping to see you soon. Kutztown in Sept. perhaps?:)

Thanks again, my friend setup1 ! As you also know, sharing the information is imperative for our hobby/obsession. I am hoping to see you soon, as well...but, I am still not sure with the September show...

I finished the Shure M65 "dual" cap bank for each channel's power supply. Positive results occurred immediately ! Better bass control, dynamic impact, more relaxed mids and much better soundstage efx (efx = effects for those unaware). I highly recommend a beefed up power supply with separate capacitance "reservoirs" for each channel, for any preamplifier. Pix to upload soon....

Last edited:
I edited a bit and added a pic showing the upgraded, dual cap bank, power supply on my Retro-Resto Shure M65 with three phono playback curves.

Last edited:
I would like to build a mono version of this circuit which will be used to feed a crystal cartridge input of a 1950's Grundig tube radio.

I'm curious what would the sonic characteristics be with replacing the treble R/C pole with a 150k resistor when feeding a high impedance ceramic/crystal input of 1M or greater?

Also, what secondary voltage should I look for when selecting a transformer?

Thanks!

Hi @WizardWG4...The 150K will have minimal sonic effect on the treble, but mathematically in combination with the M65 bass network pole, provides adherence to the 500Hz Turnover, correctly. But, after you "pad" the high output of the ceramic/crystal cart, in order to pass thru a sensitive and high gain, mm phono stage, you will still need a Treble Rolloff network; which the 150K will not do alone. Then, if you add the treble cap across the 150K, now the actual Turnover frequency changes. The first two posts, above can assist with the math needed to analyze. Using and converting a constant amplitude transducer like a ceramic, into a constant velocity device like a mm, is not always helpful...Maybe, you can optimize the sound quality of your Grundig in other ways ? How about some R-C networks employed at the turntable or the Grundig electronics ? After searching here at AK and then starting a post about your project, you might want to investigate other, various audio and antique radio forums, with search words like "ceramic cartridge preamp" or "preamp for ceramic cartridges" and new info awaits. Try this one for starters:

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=299925

That particular forum has been around since computer screens had yellow and green letters. Many "veteran" record player folks have posted at the "ARF" through the years. Ceramics and rebuilt crystals are in high demand there...If you then google search "curious minds and ceramic cartridges" another cool thread might delight you...Happy searching...

Many crystal cartridges and some ceramics can easily overload a magnetic cartridge preamp, which can sound dreadful. The response of piezo transducers, ceramic or crystal, requires very high input impedance, usually 1Meg or more. One of the early ceramics I have used is a circa 1955, EV Ultralinear 82 or 84. Rated at 1V output, I had it rebuilt by a crystal fanatic in Ozlands, decades ago. It will instantly clip any magnetic preamp I have tried. It requires a 2 Meg input R to have any bass at all, seriously. With 1Meg input R, tinny. With 1 Meg input and 700K in series with a record player amplifier's tube grid, bass starts. Then I tried 2 Meg input R to ground with 400K in series to the tube's grid, and Wow ! Fast and detailed bass, and the treble was very usable. In fact, those amps, RCA RS-164, have about three "passive EQ" networks off the Volume control taps and tube grid, which I had to disable and reconfigure, to accommodate that particular cartridge. Maybe, your Grundig could use some of those R-C networks...

Some ceramics can easily work with a magnetic preamp, but they must have low output, or be "padded" or loaded down at the input. Small caps in series and low value resistors to ground can make it happen, but...why bother ? Crystal and ceramics are constant amplitude, efficient transducers. Why squelch their output and possibly change their sonic abilities ? Sonotone published and offered networks for their 8T and 9T ceramics to be optimized via magnetic preamps. Many who try them rave about them. I have tried the 8T and 9T but have not entered that realm of raving yet. I have some favorite ceramics but I would rather use a mm or mc cart... ENJOY your audio journeys....

Thanks! I will definitely check out those resources. I was thinking of mounting a mm cartridge on the turntable in the Grundig console but I may stick with a ceramic initially and see how that sounds. The 9Ts have definitely gone up in price but I have a BSR SC12 I can use. The original cartridge is mono so I'll be summing the stereo cartridge channels. I have very few mono records in my collection plus the original tracks at 9 grams. Yikes!

Well, the M65 has logged some hours and sounds better every listening session. Those phono EQ parts and the 600V rated ppn coupling caps must still be "breaking in." At this time, I am almost considering replacing the first coupling caps with Vit.Q type PIO caps....

I was getting ready for a listening session with my retro-resto M65 vs. a Fisher PR-66, which also features RIAA optimization, plus pwr supply caps separate for each channel...

As I warmed up the M65, I realized the ppn cplg caps are still on the harsh, bright side, still breaking in. Vintage PIO caps with glass/ceramic to metal seals usually break in rather quickly.

So, I changed the first coupling caps to a pair of tried n true, matched Pyramid PG1X .047/400V types and can soon begin the shoot-out...Stay tuned...

The Shure is still "settling in" as the NOS Pyramid, mil spec cplg caps are breaking in. But, it is sounding marvelous rather quickly.

I fired up the competitor, readying for a showdown. The Fisher PR-66 stereo phono stage sounds very endearing. Width, depth and height are very fine, with layers of depth within the soundstage.

Test discs were the Larry Coryell and Philip Christian acoustic guitar duet from the German session, plus the Paul Simon "Rhythm of the Saints" essential LP.

As impressive the Fisher PR-66 sounded, the Shure M-65 immediately stepped it up a notch, imho. "Richer and more defined" was my initial thought for the Shure M65. 3D imagery and soundstage efx were also enormous with the M65. The clincher for me was the accuracy and "speed" heard with the acoustic guitar LP. Plucks, fingering and string sliding squeaks were right-on. Delineation and musician placement sounded very realistic. While the Shure wins this round, the PR-66 is still worthy enough to stay ready, proudly residing on the shelves.

In order to clarify my listening session, both units were warmed up before the showdown. I chose similar brand and era tubes. Placed closely, the cable switching was done within seconds. The Fisher PR-66 has a Mullard ECC83 small plate and two Mullard D getter EF86s. My fave Shure M-65 uses two Mullard ECC83s, also small plates. While the Shure M65 actually originally came with Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7s, the small plate Mullards are my preference with this phono stage.
YMMV...I could easily listen to either of these preamps all day, every day. Retro-resto mission accomplished....

Cool update! @tubeactive

Classic 12AX7 phono circuits w/o cathode followers typically require a minimum of 250k load at the output, i.e. Dyna PAS 2/3. Is it the same with the M65 and PR66?

Thanks!

Hi...Actually, the Shure M-65 brochure lists output impedance as 5000 Ohms, recommending less than 75 ft. interconnects (sic). Load impedance is not listed, but typical safe practice is "ten times source impedance, for the load." This indicates 50K Ohms or higher input R should be sufficient. 100K Ohms is even better.

My retro-resto Eico HF-85, like the Dyna PAS, has a semi-high output impedance. The Eico lit claims a 2000 Ohm Line Out and 5K Ohm Tape Out. While I have heard slight hi-freq. loss using PAS into some amps, I have never encountered that with my HF-85, Lafayette KT-600 or Paragon E.

Some of the chrome cutie phono stages I used to write about, plus the early GE phono stages do recommend 250K "load" impedance. Then again, some lit claims 100K or higher load impedance is adequate.

When using these non- cathode follower equipped, "plate follower" type preamps and phono stages, using short length interconnects, 18 inches or less, is highly recommended. This helps counter the possibility that the load impedance and cable capacitance (rated as capacitance per foot) does not cause an audible low pass filter. Low pass filter is of course synonymous for a hi-cut filter.

Aux In and other Line Level inputs can often benefit from increasing their input resistance. If ur tube pre has an Aux In of only 50K Ohms, you could easily reconfigure the input R value/arrangement for higher input impedance, in order to safely accommodate these non-cathode follower opt preamps.

Many power amps can also benefit from increasing input resistance. Simply put, low impedance inputs can "load down" high impedance sources, causing high freq. gain loss.

Speaking about the Fisher PR-66, I have not seen any lit, other than the Sam's Photofax...Connected to the Aux In of my HF-85, I have not encountered audible treble loss with the PR-66, M-65, the early GE UPX-003s or any of the chrome cuties. In fact, with the retro-resto optimization and flattening of the phono playback curves, the treble resolution and delineation of these M65 and PR-66 phono stages is impressive sounding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom