Pioneer PD-8500 CD player drawer won't close.

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Had this player for a while. Started having issues playing discs. Opened it up and found the laser lens loose. Pulled the disc clamp arm to access the laser. Glued the lens back & and put the disc holder back on,.had issue getting it back in, finally did. Then had issues with drawer opening & closing. Played with it, pulled the drawer out. Worked on getting the clamp straight. Now it will open but not close when I push the button. I can slightly push on the drawer front & it will close. It will now play a disc fine, just the drawer is mucked. Suggestions?

Last edited:
It doesn't hurt a cd player to nudge the door to get it to close. Most of them work this way anyway. This is the way I have to close my cd rom drawers on my computer.

I know yours is also supposed to work with the button, but is it really that bad? I mean considering its age? At least you can still open it to load it with the button.

Sometimes my 20 year old dvd player drawer won't close when I hit the front button, but it never occurred to me that there might be a problem as I have been nudging all my cd and dvd player drawers for years now.

It doesn't hurt a cd player to nudge the door to get it to close. Most of them work this way anyway. This is the way I have to close my cd rom drawers on my computer.

I know yours is also supposed to work with the button, but is it really that bad? I mean considering its age? At least you can still open it to load it with the button.

Sometimes my 20 year old dvd player drawer won't close when I hit the front button, but it never occurred to me that there might be a problem as I have been nudging all my cd and dvd player drawers for years now.

Ok. Was looking through the SM, section on adjusting the drawer mentioned a steel ball under the metal rail. So I looked around where I worked on it, I had pulled the drawer out, and on the floor I found a small steel ball. Pulled the drawer out again, held the ball in place as the SM said, put the drawer back it. Voila, the drawer now functions as it should. Something so simple, but not knowing makes the difference.

Had this player for a while. Started having issues playing discs. Opened it up and found the laser lens loose. Pulled the disc clamp arm to access the laser. Glued the lens back & and put the disc holder back on,.had issue getting it back in, finally did. Then had issues with drawer opening & closing. Played with it, pulled the drawer out. Worked on getting the clamp straight. Now it will open but not close when I push the button. I can slightly push on the drawer front & it will close. It will now play a disc fine, just the drawer is mucked. Suggestions?

Looks like there is a loading motor with belts I would check in that area . Possibly slipping on the pulley perhaps.? If there is any signs of old grease on geared wheels i would remove and install a plastic safe lubricant. I would think if one has to nudge a drawer there is an issue somewhere.Hope this helps .cheers the manual is on this site if you haven't already got it..
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/pd-8500.shtml

edit: good you figured it out...nice deck I have two pd-m92 from 1990...

Looks like there is a loading motor with belts I would check in that area . Possibly slipping on the pulley perhaps.? If there is any signs of old grease on geared wheels i would remove and install a plastic safe lubricant. I would think if one has to nudge a drawer there is an issue somewhere.Hope this helps .cheers the manual is on this site if you haven't already got it..
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/pd-8500.shtml

Yep. Read the SM & found I dropped the little steel ball under the drawers metal rail. Now working as it should.

Nice, i want one of those... I can't stand stuff that doesn't work as it should couldn't imagine nudging that for 20 years...:cool:

Yes. Made me happy. Nice to have something go right after coming off attempting to get 3 TT's running with no success.

What models of TT's have you posted the issues ,see if info is out there to help?
Well I've had success with a few other tables. These 3 are a Realistic LAB 440, auto function issues, a Garrard Zero 92. Left channel low volume & hum and Pioneer PL-L1000, wonky arm issues.

Well I've had success with a few other tables. These 3 are a Realistic LAB 440, auto function issues, a Garrard Zero 92. Left channel low volume & hum and Pioneer PL-L1000, wonky arm issues.
Sorry not familiar with any of those. Start threads for each and see what happens. good luck.

Sorry not familiar with any of those. Start threads for each and see what happens. good luck.
Thanks. About the PD-8500, really nice CD player. Liked that it is fairly immune to vibrations, unless the lens comes detached as this one did. Can thump on it and won't skip. The lens coming loose and falling is an issue on Pioneer CD changers as the lens were pointing down and reading the discs bottom up.

Last edited:
I had one of those. It was a really nice player and I never even got a chance to listen to it. I had it shipped to me and the seller forgot to lock down the laser. Sure enough when I received it there was a rattle. I opened it up to see what it was and at some point the laser fell out onto the carpet and I couldn't find it. Wife vacuumed an hour later and that was that.
There was a PD 2000 that came up recently but the seller wanted too much. It sold in 3 weeks.

Well I was just playing a CD in the deck last night, not hooked up, so I wasn't watching the display closely. Hooked it to my system tonight. Was playing fine till it reached the 4:30 min mark then skipped in several tracks. So I rew to just before that point and it did it again at approximately the same point. FF to other tracks seemed to play ok. Swapped out the CD with another and it did it at about the same point, not sure how far in as track times are different. So started it on track 2 and played fine until a few tracks in it stopped playing. Any suggestions?

The first 2 CD's I tried ( Peter Gabriel SO & Santana between Good & Evil ) after regluing the laser lens that came loose, jumps at the 4:30 min mark. Making me think the player has other issues after regluing the loose lens. I was careful not to get glue down into the laser. Tried other discs, They seem to play fine. What are the chances that 2 different discs would have same issue at same exact time spot?

Put in a copy of Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night. At :30 sec into track 2 (about 4:30 total play time) it jumped about a min & half forward. So now I am really thinking it's the player.

Reason I'm looking for another CD player is my mid 80's Yamaha is bout to bite the dust. Looking thru my stash I have a Pioneer PD-S802 player, seemed it had some issue while back. Hooked it up & seems to play fine. I'll have to explore it some more.

IMG_8935.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom