RCA cables vs Subwoofer cable

mpdhrd

What is the difference between high end insulated heavy guage RCA connectors and a dedicated subwoofer cable. What is actually done differently in the manufactering of the SWcable so that it is better for the low frequency wavelengths and whatnot?

I was at a local electronics store looking for a no-big-deal SWcable for my basement office stereo that has my old Polk Audio PSW10 when the salesmen handed me a shielded Monster RCA cable by mistake... but then it occured to me that if i got a Y-splitter for the receiver and then used the RCA to both inputs in the amp of the sub, am I doing anything to lower the quality of the signal or potentially damage the sub?

Nothing but the name in most cases...maybe better shielding in other cases due to the typically longer length; but I wouldn't bank on it.

absolutely nothing, and that's the truth

same impedance, same line-level signals, same wiring style (ie, normally twisted pair, not coax, etc.), same same

Using a y-cable is pretty much useless if the sub has a mono input (normally L side), using one won't do anything harmful as you're dealing with line-level signals all the way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Last edited:
Using a y-cable is pretty much useless if the sub has a mono input (normally L side), using one won't do anything harmful as you're dealing with line-level signals all the way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Agreed; in most cases a "Y" isn't necessary but in certain cases it can be useful.

Some people seem to have trouble with automatic turn-on of the sub (if so equipped) and report that using a "Y" fixes it. Also, feeding both inputs with a "Y" can increase the apparent gain of the sub which in some cases could be useful. There was much debate over this latter point on AVS so I tried it myself. On my Definitive Tech PF1500 sub, with all other things equal, using a "Y" versus a single feed into either left or right provided ~5dB more gain. If you double feed, it would be theoretically double the voltage so 6dB increase, but not all input circuitry seems to work this way so it's usually 3-5dB observed.

Some were perceiving this loudness increase as the sub becoming more powerful but, of course, it is not more powerful; only the gain has increased.

Last edited:
Awesome guys, thanks! I exchange the sub cable for the RCA since it was cheaper anyway. Perhaps I'll experiment with the same thing on the main HT sub (elemental design A5-350) and see if i can squeeze out a little more output even though it really doesnt need it!

Awesome guys, thanks! I exchange the sub cable for the RCA since it was cheaper anyway. Perhaps I'll experiment with the same thing on the main HT sub (elemental design A5-350) and see if i can squeeze out a little more output even though it really doesnt need it!

Increasing the gain will make the sub louder at any given volume setting but it doesn't make the sub more powerful...unless you didn't have enough gain to drive max output in the first place. If the sub is part of an HT system, and you add the "Y" cable, you'll just have to back down the settings in either the processor/receiver, or on the sub, else you'll be too "hot" with the sub after adding the "Y" cable.

Back
Top Bottom