Sylvania RQ-3747 quadraphonic woes

foxx1996

Hello!

A few months ago, I picked up a Sylvania RQ-3747 quadraphonic amp, EQ-3755 quadraphonic 8-track player, 4 matching sylvania large speakers, and 2 matching sylvania bookshelf speakers to use with my TV. When I went to pick them up, the guy had the amp and everything set up perfectly to hide a few issues with the amp and speakers.

All 6 speakers, the cone suspension(?) had turned to dust shortly after hooking up the speakers at my place. Unfortunately, the grills of the speakers are nailed on, so I wasn't able to check them when I bought everything. I paid the guy to fix the 4, and when I went to pick them back up, thats when he gave me the other 2 bookshelf speakers, which have yet to get fixed.

As for the amp, hopefully these issues are easily fixable:

First issue: When turning on the amp, theres a small "wump" sound as the amp turns on, and when I go to turn it off, it makes a"ssssSSSSWumpbump" or something similar. Is this an issue with DC offset, and if so, how would I go about correcting this?

Second issue: When I am watching something, or playing a game with moderate low tones / bass notes, the bass coming from the speakers is beyond excessive. I have the bass turned down for both channels, and even then, the sound can be very muddy at times. I have also noticed when there is a lot of bass / low notes going on, there will be random "pops / cracks" coming from the speakers, similar to what wiggling a loose cable sounds like. And on top of that, when the "crack" happens, the bass will go to a very reasonable level, before becoming super muddy again within a few seconds. Could this just be a dirty control issue, or is there a problem in the amplifying circuit?

Third issue: This one doesn't happen very often. Maybe once every couple days? Either way, sometimes when I am using the amp, a very subtle pop can be heard, then the audio starts buzzing / humming like there's a loose ground wire. A quick power cycle of the amp remedies this issue. Thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the service manual, which is why I was holding off doing this work. I thought I would also ask here first before taking it to a local stereo repair shop.

Just a quick update:

After doing some reading, the heavy bass may be because I'm using newer technology with an old amp. However, I would like some confirmation that that's the issue.

I checked the DC offset on all the channels and they are as follows (CD / AUX input, volume down, tone control in the middle, speakers disconnected and the amp in 4-channel mode):
Front Main L -48.6mv R -108.1mv
Rear main L 5.6mv R 72.8mv
Front remote L -51.5mv R -115.6mv
Rear remote L 5.5mv R 70.6mv

Now, according to this sticky (https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amplifier-distortion-dc-offset-and-you.5634/), these dc offsets are waaay out of adjustment. Any help on getting these back into line would be appreciated!

This is SQ matrix decoding and discrete 4 channel formats only. CD-4 decoder was optional (and likely very rare). Does not handle any digital surround decoding. It is not a modern AVR in that sense.

^^+1^^ I recommend cleaning the controls first. @f0427ea provided a great AK tutorial. Most of your problems, if not all, will be solved by this action. So take care of the cleaning (following the tutorial directions closely!) and see which problems (if any) remain afterwards.
I have the RQ-4748 and this series has great sound. It's probably the closest to tube-like sound of any solid state receiver I've owned.
That being said, this receiver is due for a recap as it is approaching 50 years old, so prepare yourself to make this happen.

nice looking quad receiver , there's a brochure available on HiFi Engine for it and the next model up.

"First issue: When turning on the amp, theres a small "wump" sound as the amp turns on, and when I go to turn it off, it makes a"ssssSSSSWumpbump" or something similar."...............that's the main filter capacitors charging when powered up and dis-charging when you turn it off , do this , have all the speaker switches turned off before powering up , wait 30 seconds or so after you've powered up then flip speaker switches , likewise turn all speakers off before powering off your receiver.

Welcome to AudioKarma. It is really cool that you have a great quadraphonic receiver and four matching speakers.

Suggestions:

DeOxit treatment.​

Try measuring the DC offset with the speakers connected. What are the results?​

Good luck.

"I checked the DC offset on all the channels"...............I wouldn't get too hung up on that , the right front amp looks a bit high but not that bad (considering the receivers age) I've got a few quad receivers here with that high of a offset on a channel , they sound perfectly fine and have been stable whenever I've rechecked

and by the way welcome to AK

This is SQ matrix decoding and discrete 4 channel formats only. CD-4 decoder was optional (and likely very rare). Does not handle any digital surround decoding. It is not a modern AVR in that sense.
The CD-4 demodulator for this model is the DQ-3700. It is a rare bird indeed!

Sounds good, I will look into cleaning the controls and a possible recap. I think all of the guitar centers near me have long closed down; however, amazon should have a product on prime shipping.

Should I go ahead and look at replacing all the electrolytic caps, or just certain ones? And, here are some pictures for you to enjoy!

As you can see the bookshelf speakers are in need of a fixing. As for the 4 large speakers, I keep cardboard down there to keep the cat from using the grills as a scratching post >.<

Attachments

• 20200108_142130.jpg
    20200108_142130.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200108_142139.jpg
    20200108_142139.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200108_142054.jpg
    20200108_142054.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200108_142059.jpg
    20200108_142059.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200108_142121.jpg
    20200108_142121.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200108_142104.jpg
    20200108_142104.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 48
Sounds good, I will look into cleaning the controls and a possible recap. I think all of the guitar centers near me have long closed down; however, amazon should have a product on prime shipping.

Should I go ahead and look at replacing all the electrolytic caps, or just certain ones?
I personally would replace all the electrolytics and any tantalum caps due to the age of the receiver, but it depends on how skilled you are at repairing electronics. Recapping a quad receiver is nothing to sneeze at with roughly double the caps of a stereo receiver and occasionally having double-sided boards. It's a challenge for an experienced tech, but don't let that stop you as you'll have a plethora of helpful advice here on AK if you get stuck!

Absolutely! Thanks for the offer!
No prob! Just sent everything off to the email listed in the stickied post.

A new issue arises! Sometime when I am listening to whatever, a small pop can be heard, then the amp starts making a sound similar to wiggling a loose wire on the speakers. I recorded it and uploaded it to youtube. A quick power cycle of the amp usually remedies this, but I think that it may be one of the transistors starting to flake out.

I currently have my audio source hooked up to the aux input, with both front channels turned on. Hopefully the new schematics will make identifying the issue easy! Also, in the documents I have, it appears they may have made revised versions of this amp. If you need those documents, let me know!

(schematics) https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:5b6c9cc9-a024-4579-97aa-25aef3da87de
(service bulletin) https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:5ff2aaa6-08e9-4011-bde2-e29d1b5ef87f
(youtube video)

I wonder if the heavy bass response might be from a mis-matched input? How does it sound with the 8 track player?

I wonder if the heavy bass response might be from a mis-matched input? How does it sound with the 8 track player?
No idea. But, the heavy bass was my fault. Wanna guess what it was? Has something to do with using the wrong input...

Yes, I was using the phono input as my aux input. Not sure why I did that to begin with, but I've swapped back to aux and the muddy bass has been fixed

As far as the 8 track, no idea. I don't own any tapes, nor do I know if the belts are any good.

Many causes possible. A cold solder joint. Old components noisy. Does turning any controls or operating switches other than the power switch affect it? Turning the receiver on and off is causing a current spike through it and temporarily "fixing" it.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom