Technics SB-7000A

JonVH

Hello guys,
I was wondering what you think about the original SB-7000A linear phase coherent speakers from Technics. From what I have found, they were well regarded, compared to modern speakers in the $5000 group. Any comparisons? Any mods? Thanks!

technics_sb7000a.jpg

Last edited:
They areactually pretty good IF you have good foams (replacemen foams are hard to obtain!) and the tweeter is still in good working order as they tend to blow rather easy..

These do sound very good when all is right! I suspect the tweeter is a recap issue. Good luck on getting them at a good price in good working order!
DC

I heard a set of 7000A's in a showroom somewhere back in the day and they sounded great. System was all matching Technics with the Linear Phase, a monster receiver, an SL table, cassette, and RTR. Beautiful equipment. My buddy had a pair of 6000's and I liked them as well. I have a pair of 5000A's and really like them. 5000's have inverted cloth surrounds.....not sure why they didn't use cloth with the larger models :scratch2:

One of the coolest looking series of speakers ever made IMHO.

Great speakers. Rubberized foam, rather than standard foam surrounds, so if they've been cared for, the surrounds should be okay.

The most outstanding feature of these speakers is their dynamics. While the bass isn't super deep, it is punchy and there is a lot of it. The mid and treble response is very smooth and accurate. Imaging is also very good.

I picked up a pair a while back for next to nothing and did a complete resto on them last winter. Cabs were salvageable with some bondo and rustoleum's satin black is a dead ringer for the original finish. I also recapped, rotated all the drivers, redid the grill cloth, swapped that goofy speaker connector for binding posts and decreased the huge port hole a little bit. I put them up on some speaker stands and they've become one of my favorites. They're also easy to drive and happy with just about any amp you choose that's 100 wpc plus.

I had a pair of them a few years back and I had always drooled over them in the original brochures and seeing them at the stores in Little Rock. I sold mine off because it was "herd thinning time" and I had too many other speakers I preferred the sound of better. But if I ever come across a pair of the SB-7070's, I just might have to bite. The addition of the mid-bass driver definitely makes up for that extra bite in that area between the woofer and small midrange.

(not my picture)
technicssb70701.jpg

I just bought a pair for $300. One woofer is repaired (visible glue), otherwise seems perfect. By far the best speakers I have ever owned. Recently financially well off enough to be able to afford this level of speaker. I wanted something close to a "party speaker" but capable of decent imaging, and I think this is it. Certainly a bit weak on low volume performance, but mid volume sounds great.

they're very good speakers and loved them when i use to own them. defiantly under-rated speakers. if i had a larger living area i would still own them cause they ranked to one of my favorites of speakers ever owned or heard. if can get a pair for a great price, the fragile dome tweeters are still working perfectly and original i would hop on a pair again.

I just bought a pair for $300. One woofer is repaired (visible glue), otherwise seems perfect. By far the best speakers I have ever owned. Recently financially well off enough to be able to afford this level of speaker. I wanted something close to a "party speaker" but capable of decent imaging, and I think this is it. Certainly a bit weak on low volume performance, but mid volume sounds great.

i would never see these as party speakers.... the dome tweeters are way too fragile and delicate on them for any type of ''cranking''....if want party speakers i would of just gone for some older peavey sp2's or older jbl pa stuff for partying....

I have a pair and love them. Everyone who has heard them has been impressed. The midrange sounds best if you tilt them back by placing a 2 x 4 under the front. This may be because the foam under the midrange on mine is missing, but they sounded so good as they are and tilted back I left it off. I have them in my basement system, which is also my home theater and the bass is incredible. Not accentuated, just very solid bass.

I've got a pair of SB-6060's that I got from the neighbor for free. Real sleepers. I have to believe the SB-7000's are good too. Mine are large though. Always pushes the WAF if you know what I mean.

I have the complete Technics pro series setup. A nice set of the 7000's in my library and they do kick some serious butt. I have had to work on the tweeters on one of the speakers. I bought a set of extra mid ranges and a spare woofer just to have around. They have a great look and were very well built and sound great.

Nice score. I picked up a pair of SB-4500a (10 inch and tweeter. Excellent sounding, but as they are extras, I couldn't leave them alone. When I opened them up, I found almost no bracing except, the speaker cutout waste was glued to the back of the cabinet and there was VERY little stuffing. I braced the cabinet in all directions, added light damping on three sides and a small bit on top of the braces to curtail errant midrange. The crossover has inductors the size of small spools of thread. So - I loppe off the top containing the tweeter...and Econowaved them. Next to my 4430s, these my second favorite. They're very efficient and the dispersion is SO wide, They are remarkably good. So much so that I want to find a more stout 10" woofer that will play low, reach 2KHz smoothly and perform in the 1.5 cu. ft. box. Any suggestions? AGAIN - good score, especially for that astronomical outlay.

I have the 5000a's - love them - have lusted over the 7000's for years but these are the next best thing - if someone ever sells the 7000s locally, I'm sure to snap them up.

Nice score. I picked up a pair of SB-4500a (10 inch and tweeter. Excellent sounding, but as they are extras, I couldn't leave them alone. When I opened them up, I found almost no bracing except, the speaker cutout waste was glued to the back of the cabinet and there was VERY little stuffing. I braced the cabinet in all directions, added light damping on three sides and a small bit on top of the braces to curtail errant midrange. The crossover has inductors the size of small spools of thread. So - I loppe off the top containing the tweeter...and Econowaved them. Next to my 4430s, these my second favorite. They're very efficient and the dispersion is SO wide, They are remarkably good. So much so that I want to find a more stout 10" woofer that will play low, reach 2KHz smoothly and perform in the 1.5 cu. ft. box. Any suggestions? AGAIN - good score, especially for that astronomical outlay.

More informed people than me can comment on the minimal stuffing, but if they are ported wouldn't you need to limit the amount of stuffing? Otherwise wouldn't that defeat the purpose for the port?

Yes, correct. All Technics had in there was a dense, cloth-like material covering just the crossover on about a third of the back panel. I switched it out to R-13 fiberglass insulation and only lightly (half thickness of the R-13) covered the back, the top and the side nearest the port with an additional tiny sheet of it covering the cross brace to limit internal reflection. This exercise, along with bracing, took out the resonance that was apparent.

They areactually pretty good IF you have good foams (replacemen foams are hard to obtain!) and the tweeter is still in good working order as they tend to blow rather easy..

These do sound very good when all is right! I suspect the tweeter is a recap issue. Good luck on getting them at a good price in good working order!
DC
What foam are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom