UPDATED Sansui "áelf" series Alpha A-α7 / CD-α7 / T-α7 / D-α7 / S-α7

JimEGR

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Another little Alpha that hasn't seen much, if any coverage - Sansui A-α7

1994. JDM - 100 volts - 50/60 Hz. Diamond Differential 50 watt descendent of the AU-X1 and others (not X-Balanced like most of it's Alpha siblings). 2 channel. Loudness/Presence control - no tone controls like the later iteration 1997 A-α77. CD Direct mode - built for CD's. Minimalist design.

The difference between the A-α7 and the more of a TOTL A-α9 is the A-α7 runs a less fancy capacitor set, has plastic front cheeks/wings (full wood is an option too), different transformer, has more of a shot peened finish on the knobs vs the machined surface knobs on the A-α9. The A-α7 also does not have all of the copper treatments - full gold plated connections in the back, though.

I've been spending some time listening to both the A-α7 and A-α9. Both units are all original. Like I mentioned in the A-α9 thread, the A-α7 is a little softer overall, and fuller in the low frequencies. By habit, I don't really use Loudness (or Presence). After spending time with both, I prefer the sound of the A-α7. The A-α9 is more accurate but can be challenging to listen to, almost etched in it's superior accuracy and resolution. I am also listening to them both through Zu Audio DW6 speakers which are pretty unapologetically honest - why I like them - they tell me exactly what's happening with the amplifier.

One of the parts I enjoy most about this hobby is listening to music I am really familiar with, and through new and different equipment being able to experience a familiar song in a new and unfamiliar way - the joy of hearing it for the first time again, almost. The A-α7 is probably, currently, my favorite piece in my collection to listen to. The resolution is very accurate and still digestible. Channel separation is surgical. And the immersiveness of the soundstage is layered, deep and engaging in all directions - this is the most captivating part of the A-α7 experience, for me.

This couple hundred dollar 30 year old Sansui is just absolutely, like many of the other couple hundred dollar Sansui's, an unmatched value in Hi-Fi. Keep these works of art on the road! Thanks AK. Having a blast thanks to all of you.

2.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Favorite binding posts. Large grips. Gold plated. Huge gap for wires and also banana plug ready. EASY. Genius design.
5.JPG

6.JPG

More teflon tape keeping unwanted vibes from getting out (or in?)
7.JPG

8.JPG

Was recently gifted a "Gold" copy of Dark Side. Original Master Recording. Analog-Analog-Digital. It really is better.
1.JPG

IMG_7133.JPG

Last edited:
@JimEGR, you are becoming a madman of Sansui collecting. And now with these small form factor JDM minimalist amps. I had seen these around now and again but had never given them much consideration. I really don't need to start adding even more stuff to the collection, but I keep being tempted with posts like these.

Last edited:
@JimEGR, you are becoming a madman of Sansui collecting. And now with these small form factor JDM minimalist amps. I had seen these around now and again but had never gave them much consideration. I really don't need to start adding even more stuff to the collection, but I keep being tempted with posts like these.

Thanks! I am definitely enjoying the quest. And especially these high-value surprises. YMMV but I am very impressed with the A-α9/A-α7. Has me of course wondering how they would sound after a restoration. I am working through my restorations chronologically, and I have quite a few pieces to go before I reach 1994 - I am currently in 1978.

Last edited:
Seems like @Sansuiman and @JimEGR are getting competitive? :rflmao:

Fascinating to read about these smaller JDM models; better yet to read your listening impressions, description of form and pictures, Jim - I had no idea these existed!

Thanks! Less competitive and more like "standing on the shoulder of giants" - an enormous depth of knowledge and experience to build upon here. :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Less competitive and more like "standing on the shoulder of giants" - an enormous depth of knowledge and experience to build upon here. :)

Indeed, and seconded!

The small form factor of the A-α9/A-α7 really has a special appeal to me, especially given the intimidating and difficult to house bulk and mass of the Alpha 607-707-907.

From visiting Japan a few times, it strikes me that there's an aesthetic purity and modesty of these two models that strikes me as very Japanese, like a carefully assembled bento box lunch... (Or for other car fans, the A-α9/A-α7 are like a Mazda MX5/Miata or Toyota GR86 / Subaru BRX, where an AU-α907 is a Godzilla Nissan GTR...)

@JimEGR What are your impressions of the effect of the "Presence" function on the A-α9/A-α7, given these amps have no tone controls?

Looks like that offers choice of a conventional Loudness (boost of both treble and bass), or two levels of boost to the base only? (And off, of course.)

So it seems different from and more basic than the "Presence" variable Loudness control seen on, I think, some Yamaha and Accuphase amps...

Similarly it will be interesting to read your impressions of the performance of the phono circuit. Interesting that Sansui retained that feature in an amp optimised for CD and DAT. I guess there were still plenty of amp buyers in Japan in the early-mid-1990s that still had turntables and LPs.

Indeed, and seconded! The small form factor of the A-α9/A-α7 really has a special appeal to me, especially given the intimidating and difficult to house bulk and mass of the Alpha 607-707-907. From visiting Japan a few times, it strikes me that there's an aesthetic purity and modesty of these two models that strikes me as very Japanese, like a carefully assembled bento box lunch... (Or for other car fans, the A-α9/A-α7 are like a Mazda MX5/Miata or Toyota GR86 / Subaru BRX, where an AU-α907 is a Godzilla Nissan GTR...)

Appreciate your perspective and experience on the form factor. Harkens back to the roots of the word Sansui - the art form. Definitely an attractive statement from well executed design austerity. I think you would be happy with an A-α9/A-α7. It may be smaller, but it is not thin sounding or lacking in dynamism, at all. Paired up with the right speakers it is nearly a be-all and end-all, to my ears. And yes it is easy on the back and the real estate space :).

As far as the Presence functions are concerned to me the sound is perfect, full and natural without. Running Loudness or the Bass Boost sounds very unnatural, and fatiguing - for my room, speakers, CD input etc. All three positions do effectively alter the sound as claimed, and well. I don't have experience with any other Presence controls. And I don't usually run Loudness on any of my other gear - too heavy and too fatiguing to me. An exception is my AU-X701(and AU-a607i) paired up with Vandersteen 2Ci's - the sound is so rich and perfect with Loudness engaged - and zero fatigue.

I haven't had a chance to try the Phono stage yet, I will post once I do. If it is anything like my other Alpha's it will be very well refined. To be continued...

IMG_7172.JPG

Last edited:
LOL I should have expected you would be able to do that physical comparison directly...:rflmao:

Are they similar depth, i.e. footprint? Can't make out the side length comparison in the angled pic....

I have yet to meet a Sansui I don’t like :).

Good question. Shallower, taller and slightly wider chassis on the AU-222. Total volume might be equal to the A-a7. Definitely an interesting comparison! I’ll try to post some side by side with the covers off. Very different topology, but I am curious about the weight comparison and the transformer size comparison. 1968 18 watts vs 1994 50 watts. A couple of compact, 2 channel masterpieces.

43B7D350-5C54-4A86-8D02-B307EA6C473B.jpeg

Last edited:
I have my eye on an AU-α707 MR but I suspect my wife would be more welcoming of an A-α9/A-α7, especially if it had the optional wooden cheeks. ;)

Hoping a big Alpha can sit quietly and unobtrusively in the corner is probably a bit much to ask... Talk about elephants in rooms...
"Nevermind the bulk, just listen... And it didn't cost as much as the modem equivalent" might not fly well.
:whip:

The A-α9/A-α7, on the other hand, offer a certain Q-ship stealth factor...

I have my eye on an AU-α707 MR but I suspect my wife would be more welcoming of an A-α9/A-α7, especially if it had the optional wooden cheeks. ;)

Hoping a big Alpha can sit quietly and unobtrusively in the corner is probably a bit much to ask... Talk about elephants in rooms...
"Nevermind the bulk, just listen... And it didn't cost as much as the modem equivalent" might not fly well.
:whip:

The A-α9/A-α7, on the other hand, offer a certain Q-ship stealth factor...

Yes. The domestic negotiation. That MR is likely (I don’t own an MR) sonically superior to the a7. But it’s not exactly stealthy.

1D3F2521-EC94-4A65-8F65-2A0D047532EC.jpeg

Wood cheeks on the little 7 look sharp!
E66C9D40-1853-4714-8223-F2013D79A46B.jpeg

Last edited:
I kept reading references to "áelf" in the Japanese listings, but context was lacking. Came across this 1994 Sansui marketing material for the "áelf" series. Some nice context with component and package options. I own the tuner and integrated amp from this series. Super curious how those speakers sound too.

It is still very interesting that this series was built on a Diamond Differential platform and not X-Balanced like pretty much every other Alpha is. Having spent quite a bit of time listening the A-α7, though, it is not lacking in fidelity at all in comparison to it's generation's X-Balanced bias. The A-α7 is built around an "Advanced" Diamond Differential design so there may be some special tweaking with the "Advanced" that has rung every last bit of SQ from what was then the 16 year old Diamond Differential topology.

Also interesting this literature nowhere mentions the premium version A-α9 platform, which is essentially the A-α7 with fancy components and fancy controls and cheeks.

Super interesting read (and images). First post Japanese. Second post translated to english.

IMG_1379.JPGIMG_1380.JPGIMG_1381.JPGIMG_1382.JPGIMG_1383.JPGIMG_1384.JPGIMG_1386.JPGIMG_1389.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom