Which of these amps would you choose?

tomcatmixd

Musically reclined
I'm looking to replace a vintage receiver with a new integrated amp, tuner, etc. First step is a new amp in the $500 (or less) range. Source will be the following:
1. Phono (Pioneer PL-A35)
2. Cassette (NAD 613)
3. Tuner (TBD)
4. CD (Pioneer PD-M430)
5. Streaming audio (Spotify) from MacBook Retina

Speakers are Infinity Crescendo CS-3006, in a relatively small audio-only listening space.

I'm hovering around the following three units from Yamaha, Marantz, and NAD (found on Crutchfield). The NAD would probably be my choice (all things considered), but it requires the additional purchase of a Phono Amp, adding to its already higher cost.

Appreciate any recommendations/suggestions around these (or other units). Here are the specifics:

integratedamps.jpg

you'll want at least 100 watts if you want your (8ohm) crescendos to give their best, so none of the above.

I would go with the Yamaha A-S500 because it has the most power, and I like the Yamaha sound. Peace and goodwill.

First line of first post: "First step is a new amp in the $500 (or less) range".

Onkyo is a good suggestion, by the way.

First line of first post: "First step is a new amp in the $500 (or less) range".

dammit. been staring at the computer too long.

I would rank the 4 in this order.

1 - Yamaha or Onkyo
2 - Marantz
3 - NAD

Pioneer also makes the A-20, and at 50w x 2, it's the cheapest of the lot. Demo at your local BB?

Well the SNR on the Marantz is the best, but it doesn't have any pre outs and it has the least amount of power. Pre outs are important to me for subwoofer inclusion.

There is a Marantz PM6004 with 45 watts per channel at Music Direct for $450 shipped, but it doesn't have pre outs either. http://www.musicdirect.com/p-50324-marantz-pm6004-integrated-amp.aspx

The NAD has plenty of pre outs, but no phono input so that's probably not what you want.

Looks like the Yamaha is your best bet - more power, phono stage and pre outs.

Appreciate all the quick replies. So three key questions raised...

1. Pre-outs, yes or no. Let's say yes, understanding the cost ramifications.
2. Phono-stage. Again, can be added, if necessary (i.e., NAD).
3. WPC minimum. Do others agree with loquatious that 100wpc is necessary?

Again, thanks for engaging. Going to check the A-9050 now.

According to a quick Google search, your Infinitys are rated at 150 watts. So yes, Ioquatious has a valid point. Howerever, it depends on how you use the amp. If you plan to "rock out" at maximum volume levels all of the time, you might want to increase your budget and go for something with more power.

Yeah, if limited to those three, I'd lean towards the Yamaha. Even if you listen at modest levels, a bit of surplus is a good thing with most Infinity speakers.

IMHO at that dollar amount you could do way better looking at some really nice vintage gear. At 500 bucks that puts you at the door of some nice 100 watt plus integrated amps, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Luxman, Sansui. All hand assembled, they have personality, and maybe even soul. In my experience my Marantz 2275 sounds better than my NAD 218thx with my yamaha RXV-2092 as a pre-amp used in stereo. Again just MHO.

I'd get a decent Rx series Yammie with all the options. I have been testing a rx-v861 for the last month and it's loaded... (mind you it needs cooling or cooler room temp. as it has no internal fans not out of tolerance but not to be placed in a warm room with no ventilation. Yams are made for some power and need cooling for long term life. (lol good advice for all amps)

If preamp out/main in jacks are wanted the Yamaha R-S700 has them, but the AS500 and AS700 do not have them, he might want to think about the R-S700 receiver. I'll tell you, this discussion has made me start to drool just a bit!

I have a Marantz 6004 downstairs in the shop pushing a pair of ADS 400 [4ohm] and
a Marantz SR4023 receiver on my computer system pushing a pair of ADS L630 [8ohm].
Very happy with both and right at the OPs price point.

I own the as500 yamaha i think you should give it a look what ever you decide i think it would be a good chouce with your speakers :)

…Phono (Pioneer PL-A35)
The NAD… requires the additional purchase of a Phono Amp…
“Phono” is not simply what a customer must keep in mind for to choose an integrated or a preamp.

If one uses an “MM” cartridge and his TT has not built-in phono preamp-corrector (“Phono Amp”), only NAD 326 of the three will need a separate Phono Amp.

If one uses an “MC” cartridge and his TT has not built-in phono preamp-corrector (“Phono Amp”) for “MC” cartridges, all the three will need a separate Phono Amp having the “MC” position.

------------

If you want the direct possibility to insert any sound processor into your integrated amp’s circuit (“TAPE MONITOR” feature), but with less output power, then it will be the NAD cited.

If you prefer to have an “indirect” possibility to insert any sound processor into your integrated amp’s circuit, but with more output power, then it will be the YAMAHA cited, having no more “TAPE MONITOR” feature, thus without the possibility to choose input “sources” from the remote control while monitoring, but only manually, meaning the “REC OUT” selector.

Since you stated your listening room is small, 100wpc for those speakers is overkill. 90db sensitivity with 8ohm impedance is an easy load and any of the amps are more than capable of driving them to loud levels in a small room.

Try to demo as many of the amps as possible as well as looking at the feature set you need. Deciding based on power alone isn't the way to go IMO.

All of the amps you listed are highly regarded budget amps and can be the basis for a great budget setup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom