wich passive crossovers to use with 4675 speakers?

xuor

Hello friends,

I bought a pair of jbl 4675 speakers and they don't come with xovers. The previous owner used an active xover with 2 amplifiers, which is the best way to control them. But for my part, unfortunately, I only have one speaker cable underneath the walls behind each speaker, so bi-amplification is not possible in my case. That’s why I'm looking for passive xovers.

The typical passive xover of the 4675 is the 3160. But it's very expensive on the internet, and there's not much in it. So I am looking at the option of having them made by a fellow audiophile who has the knowledge. Or if not, do you know of another type of passive xover that might be suitable for the 4675? Coming from another speaker number? Or maybe a suitable aftermarket crossover model? I'm a bass enthousiastic, so the xovers would have to be good on the low side of the frequencies.

I plan to install the cover on top of the cabinet, so they should be placed in small black metal boxes so that everything is watchable.

Thank you !!

I'm not that familiar with the 3160 but it was designed for multiple combinations of HF and LF drivers. If you determine the "correct" setting for your combo, you may be able to simplify the crossover schematic (by eliminating some unused parts depending on setting) and build a simpler and cheaper crossover.

Go here and search for "3160" for some literature
https://jblpro.com/en-US/support_downloads

schematic found here...
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jbl-3160-crossover-humming.869491/

(I would look real hard at how to run a second set of wires to run an electronic crossover - the HF section can be pretty small (18-20 gauge :dunno:) since the horn will rip your head off at a couple of watts)

Good luck!

I'd run some more speaker cable in the walls or on the floor. If you have something already in the wall you can use that to pull another set through. Get a DBX 360 active xover and really see what those big JBLs can do. I say this as the new owner of some 4670s. Active is where its at....

Jblnut

Back
Top Bottom