Your favorite Fisher tube gear

It's all one chassis (R-3). 4 6V6 in aparallel Push-Pull config. It's a Beast. See 1950 Coronet on the Fisherconsoles.com site. Mine is the Warwick cabinet.

Here's the R-3. Note the 4 6V6's behind the transfo. The R1-2-3 units were in production late 1949 thru Aug 1955. Not my Chassis. Mine is a bit rougher.
index.php

BELOW is the R-31-S, last of the Upright console Head unit's. Note the 2 EL-84's in place of the 6V6's outboard of the transfo. The R-20 is essentially the Mono Version of the R31-S. The chassis of the R1-2-3, and R-31-S are the same size, as were the 202/J-10/K14/K15/K100/R-20/R-30. The R-20 is the last of the strictly Mono units. The R-30 & R31 are essentially the same (except for years) and have a 2nd channel preamp (similar to a 510/610 Consolette), that plugs in to the 560 companion with a 30A amp. Both had a MPX output for an outboard Multiplexer. The R-31-S was a 1960 model. Transformers are absolutely Humungous on both of these units. This is before I cleaned it and overhauled it.

index.php

My restored 500C is the only Fisher i have or have heard so i will pick that one:) I was pairing with Forte 1 which sounded Awesome but my Tannoy Berkeley's are in rotation now and they seem that have sweeter bass response but i havent listened enough to decide which i like better if any. I really like the phono stage too and tend to stick to my MM carts with it.

500C.jpg

FWIW, my Fisher 660A is a keeper. It's dead quiet and extremely musical (and plays very well with my 604E Duplexes).

400-CX-2 preamp. Carefully restored about a decade ago with capacitor replacements where needed. It even has Telefunken 12AX7s (with Fisher label). Gorgeous sound. Not sure how many 400-CX units Fisher built or where they all went, but for whatever reason not something that often shows up on the bay or other sites for sale. That has always seemed strange to me.

I also have tuners, but mostly for nostalgia. FM-90X and FM-200. And multiplex adaptors.

My only Fisher now is a X202-C, it really is a nice sounding amp, and thanks to Daves
help I was able to put in a bias pots that and the balance control makes it a better amp.
I really have to set it up again but I've been playing my solid states :yikes: and other tube
stuff so I'm pretty due to switch something out and put her in.

8A392128-1BA9-4025-8191-2DA740549999.jpeg

It’s such a hard decision. My 800c just has more strength, authority. But the 400 receiver and x-100b on certain well recorded songs just sound, “in the room.” Using the x-100b along with the FM200b gives better FM performance but with all the lights just looks beautiful. They all respond to tube rolling and that does change the sound. But IMO they all sound so similar that the recording you’re listening to makes a lot of difference. Even the recording on FM and definitely the station.
But what is becoming addictive to me is bringing these beautiful units back to life.
I remember this question when asked a few years back someone answered, “ The one you’re listening to.” I find that so true.

I bought my first tubeamp this spring. A wonderful and wonderful sounding Fisher x-100 running el-84.

It’s warmer but just as detailed than my Sansui AU9900A. A beautiful amp.

Best regards,

Jan Fensten

Attachments

• 79E5E359-6D51-4211-9A40-696099E8DD3C.jpeg
    79E5E359-6D51-4211-9A40-696099E8DD3C.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 19
Beautiful. I’ve never heard an EL-84 or 7189 amplifier before but on this forum they say they are great.

Beautiful. I’ve never heard an EL-84 or 7189 amplifier before but on this forum they say they are great.

I was cautiously optimistic about 7189 amps too until I refurbished my X-101st. My 1st 7189 amp was an X-100-3 which sounded very nice but, the X-101st with the larger output transformers was more detailed and the sound reproduction more captivating.

Up until then all my Fishers were 400's.

I'm still keeping an eye out for a X-202 (7189 amp) which if I'm not mistaken has even larger transformers than the X-101st.

It's a wonderful journey and I'm very grateful to all the fine knowledgeable folks here who have taught & helped me bring these magnificent stereos back to life. The many innovative modifications take them to a higher level of reliability.

Back
Top Bottom