• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony APM-690's in the house (pix)

Round is cheaper because parts are readily available and the shape itself is structurally stronger than a flat square piece of the same material.

Price: Round < Square
Popularity (directly attributed to price): Round > Square
Performance: No real conclusion can be made other than it will cost more to make a good sounding square driver than a good sounding round driver. The shape of the pistonic style driver will not affect the sound, all else being equal.
 
Flat woofers. Hmmm.

Okay how about a side-by-side comparison between a Carver Amazings round flat woofer, KEF B109 styrofoam oval, and APM square woofers.

If it's actually the low resonance of the flat plane, it might not matter. If it's edge effects, it would.
 
I do not see any pictures

I think you just called me about these. :D

389745848_GwaWE-L.jpg


389745852_67tfv-L.jpg


389745855_2xfSA-L.jpg


389747326_DUjzD-L.jpg
 
those are nice looking sonys.


I have a compact sony stereo with apm speakers - it needs repairs.

it also has amfb - active motion feed back - some sort of motion sensor system built ito the woofer.

I also have a near mint sony cfd 5 boombox with apm speakers.


I need to find a big apm speaker like yours - very nice
 
Thanx for the pics. The orig ones from the 2005 thread expired so I couldn't see them.

The rare real-wood curved cab models had multi-magnet assemblies behind the squares:

apm-4-4.jpg


Found that coolness on this page

This could pre-empt uneven stress & breakup distortion on the wafer.

It may be that Maggies take the concept of overall stress on the driven element in a better direction, but it would be fun to hear APM drivers in a full-blown DIY TL--since it's unlikely I'll get the largest IMF with the KEF woofer.
 
Back
Top Bottom