• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Affordable Test Equipment

avionic

" Black Knights " F-15 back shop EW avionics
Subscriber
Found a nice little LEADER LAG-27 Audio Generator on the bay. One of those ( needs repair, As-is ) purchases. I was a little hesitant due to the fact it was a gulf coast location( Louisiana)..I'm thinking " hurricane-storm surge damage".
I bid the min. < $10 -----No other bids..:banana: Once I got it . I opened her up --clean as a whistle inside,almost looked new..Then plugged it in and hooked up a o'scope... We have output..:thmbsp:
Turns out the only thing that needed fix'n was the red dial pointer.
Dial pointer repair required -- drillpress with 1/16" bit...1/16" x 2.5" copper rod, Testors red paint and a wee bit of JBweld....Good as new..:D
 

Attachments

  • 3355671920_7fde191037_b.jpg
    3355671920_7fde191037_b.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC02908.JPG
    DSC02908.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hey thanks Cat.. Next piece I'm looking for is a Stereo FM generator..
 
Gotta love it when it is an easy mechanical fix instead of troubleshooting an electrical issue. Affordable is always good.
 
Nice Score Av, I have been on a analog trip recently as well. I picked up an Olsen VTVM in pristine condition for $15. Not the best in test equip but rather accurate. Well I learned on analog, it is kind of nostalgic.
 
I picked up a nice cherry Sencore SG165 with extras a couple of weeks ago... have seen some other nice similar units close at reasonable prices since then.

John

Hey thanks Cat.. Next piece I'm looking for is a Stereo FM generator..
 
Nice Score Av, I have been on a analog trip recently as well. I picked up an Olsen VTVM in pristine condition for $15. Not the best in test equip but rather accurate. Well I learned on analog, it is kind of nostalgic.
Thanks roggom! I was just looking for a cheap audio gen. As long as I have a Freq.counter or O'scope I can dial in the specific audio frequency desired.
 

Attachments

  • DSC02911.JPG
    DSC02911.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I picked up a nice cherry Sencore SG165 with extras a couple of weeks ago... have seen some other nice similar units close at reasonable prices since then.

John

I like to restore test equipment as well as vintage audio..I have a little calibration lab background from a period in my airforce carreer.
 
Gotta love it when it is an easy mechanical fix instead of troubleshooting an electrical issue. Affordable is always good.

I was prepared for worst case scenario( salt water soaked & corroded all to hell)..But yeah mech/cosmetic fixes are easier to deal with..:yes:
 
Nice Score Av, I have been on a analog trip recently as well. I picked up an Olsen VTVM in pristine condition for $15. Not the best in test equip but rather accurate. Well I learned on analog, it is kind of nostalgic.
I know where your coming from.My first meter was a Simpson 260...First meter trained on in the military was the infamous PSM 6 now thats analog...
Picked up this little gem a while back..Same type of deal - needs repair- <$10 found a couple burnt up precision resistors. Replaced resistors and calibrated -works great..
 

Attachments

  • DSC02915.JPG
    DSC02915.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Years ago, the electronics department of a major university, decided to upgrade their test equipment.
A friend of mine, who worked at that university, gave me the date, time & location of a certain dumpster.
Now he couldn't just hand me the equipment, but HAD to put it in the dumpster.
Where I just HAPPENED to be standing in?
Turned out to be a pretty good haul, with everything 100% operational.
Don't you just love your tax dollars at work?

Steve
 
There are a couple of ST1000A models for auction you know where.

Tom

Sound Technology is the gold standard for FM stereo generators. That is the one to get.
To perform a proper alignment you should also get a distortion analyzer. You can get by with a HP 333 or 334. Make sure you get the model with auto - nulling. It makes it easier to use.
 
<3 Tek 2445

hp_2445_400.jpg


just picked it up at a hamfest this saturday, works perfectly (price was about appropriate for e-bay, but no shipping and I got to test it first!)

avionic: what probe do you use on your 2445? I got a P6122 but it's only 100MHz, am I correct in thinking that I need a P6131?
 
I'm partial to the 6062B probe 100mhz X1-X10 with probe compensation adj. I got my 2445 off the bay a couple years ago. Got a darn good price considering it had just been cal'd.
 
Last edited:
<3 Tek 2445

hp_2445_400.jpg


just picked it up at a hamfest this saturday, works perfectly (price was about appropriate for e-bay, but no shipping and I got to test it first!)

avionic: what probe do you use on your 2445? I got a P6122 but it's only 100MHz, am I correct in thinking that I need a P6131?

P6122 would been fine. More than adequate for anything audio..
 
Found a nice little LEADER LAG-27 Audio Generator on the bay. One of those ( needs repair, As-is ) purchases. I was a little hesitant due to the fact it was a gulf coast location( Louisiana)..I'm thinking " hurricane-storm surge damage".
I bid the min. < $10 -----No other bids..:banana: Once I got it . I opened her up --clean as a whistle inside,almost looked new..Then plugged it in and hooked up a o'scope... We have output..:thmbsp:
Turns out the only thing that needed fix'n was the red dial pointer.
Dial pointer repair required -- drillpress with 1/16" bit...1/16" x 2.5" copper rod, Testors red paint and a wee bit of JBweld....Good as new..:D

I think it's great that I am looking into getting some vintage audio repair and testing equipment and stumbled upon this post 20 years to the day from when it was originally posted. Good times! And good information.
 
I think it's great that I am looking into getting some vintage audio repair and testing equipment and stumbled upon this post 20 years to the day from when it was originally posted. Good times! And good information.
Over here, is only 10 hours difference between postings of people from other side of the pond, where most AK-ers reside :)

BTW, welcome to AK! You will get addicted and never leave.
 
Back
Top Bottom