• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replacing main filter caps with higher rated voltage..

bobforapples

Angular banjos sound good
I'm recapping a Sansui QRX-9001, it's a real bear.

The 4 main filter caps are 50V 10,000uF. I found a killer deal on some beautiful Panasonic 100V 10,000uF caps... they will fit perfectly and I've used them before, so I know they work well.

I wouldn't double the voltage rating on a smaller electrolytic, but I think this is a different case. Does anyone think it's a terrible idea?

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Caps work best when used somewhere at around 75 to 95% of their rated voltage (I shoot for about 85% when I have that luxury to allow for line voltage fluctuation). Used at much lower voltages (like 50%), they cannot manufacture the oxides needed to develop their rated capacity.

It's your piece, and you should do as you like, but in the same situation I'd go hunting for a more appropriate cap.
 
A killer deal on caps probably means the date code is a few years old. Attached are two documents that discusses storage life of caps.

If the rectifiers can tolleratew the inital inrush current the origianl 10,000's could be upgraded to larger values in the 15,000 range or so. Besides 50v caps 63V would work also.
 

Attachments

Back
Top Bottom