I bought a pair of these off Ebay locally for a friend who was looking for some big sound but is not an audiophile nut like most of us. I thought they would do thie trick. I could not find any info on these on the net or at AK so I'm posting this for reference in case someone else ever runs across them.
These are big heavy suckers. 58 lb each to be exact. They have kind of a false bottom, with an extra panel extending about 1" or so from the bottom and open at the back. I don't know if this has some sound purpose or is just for extra weight padding. Speakers are very blocky. Walnut veneer all around, including the entire face.
Drivers: 12" woofer with perfect foam surround, not bad for 1974. Mid has a nice butyl surround. Tweeter is nothing to write home about, it's a tiny plastic thing but it works. If I were to upgrade these I'd think tweeters first.
Back panel had unused spaces for a fuse and tweeter level control. I put in a fuse holder I had. Also replaced the very cheap spring type terminals with some $3 Parts Express gold plated 5 way posts.
I opened these up just to look and they have the dangdest huge crossover network I've ever seen. Multiple parts including 4 coils, numerous resistors and capacitors. There are more parts mounted on the tweeter. Looks like overkill. I will include a pic, you'll see what I mean.
I oiled these up and they sounded pretty good off a Yamaha CR-1040 (thank you vintageaudio!). They were worth the $79 plus $10 for parts. In some parts of the country that are paved with speakers, nobody would buy these at that price, but there aren't so many heavy old school speakers around here, and you can't buy anything this good at Circuit $hitty for that price. We were pleased.
These are big heavy suckers. 58 lb each to be exact. They have kind of a false bottom, with an extra panel extending about 1" or so from the bottom and open at the back. I don't know if this has some sound purpose or is just for extra weight padding. Speakers are very blocky. Walnut veneer all around, including the entire face.
Drivers: 12" woofer with perfect foam surround, not bad for 1974. Mid has a nice butyl surround. Tweeter is nothing to write home about, it's a tiny plastic thing but it works. If I were to upgrade these I'd think tweeters first.
Back panel had unused spaces for a fuse and tweeter level control. I put in a fuse holder I had. Also replaced the very cheap spring type terminals with some $3 Parts Express gold plated 5 way posts.
I opened these up just to look and they have the dangdest huge crossover network I've ever seen. Multiple parts including 4 coils, numerous resistors and capacitors. There are more parts mounted on the tweeter. Looks like overkill. I will include a pic, you'll see what I mean.
I oiled these up and they sounded pretty good off a Yamaha CR-1040 (thank you vintageaudio!). They were worth the $79 plus $10 for parts. In some parts of the country that are paved with speakers, nobody would buy these at that price, but there aren't so many heavy old school speakers around here, and you can't buy anything this good at Circuit $hitty for that price. We were pleased.
Attachments
Last edited: