• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fon Lo Thingee Review Impressions.... Amazing!

MuthaFunk

Vinyl Addict
I purchased a Blue Circle Fon Lo Thingee to compete with my Jolida JD9 which itself is a bargain in the vinyl world. The FLT comes from a very high pedigree which peaked my interest. The two sections of it are designed from Blue Circles higher end $7000 and $2200 phono pre-amps!

The Fon Lo Thingee is a truly unique pre-amp that is under the radar right now. It hasn't been in production for very long and I think it's a sleeper at this stage until word catches on.

To describe it's sound I would say "very hi fidelity". Not warm in the least. It's transformed my modest system into one of those incredible high end systems you hear at the boutique shops. I never knew my system had the capability to reproduce the live sound as though the musicians are in the room. I can hear so many details out of my Denon DL-103R and CineMag combo that I coudn't hear with any other budget pre-amps I've tried.

The Fon Lo Thingee seems to have (by my ears) a ultra high end 1 or 2 db lift above 6 Khz or so. The mids are smooth and detailed but not at all in your face like the JD9. The bass is very clean with a great extension down deep. My ears tell me it's almost flat through the mids and down deep to perhaps 20 Hz. This ultra clean upper frequency response gives the FLT the perceived ability to project recordings into the room. While listening to Jazz, I could hear so much more details in the function of the soloing instrument like spit in the trumpet and reed control with a sax. I've never heard details like that on my system before. I always thought the conical stylus on my Denon couldn't track that stuff but I guess it does, just my previous preamps couldn't produce it. The jolida is spec'd to go up to 100 Khz. I didn't hear the same details though the JD9. :dunno: All that detail brought me right into the performance of the solos and really captivated me. I play in a jazz/funk group http://www.quadrafonics.com and we practice in my home studio. I often hear my sax player warming up before a practice in my listening room so I'm familiar with what a live sax sounds like in there and this FLT faithfully reproduced that sound only now it was Coltrane!! Let me tell you, It's a real gas to feel like Miles Davis is in your jam room.:ntwrthy:

I moved on to other types of music to see how this realistic in the room sound would translate to over-produced recordings. With some Earth Wind and Fire pumping through I really noticed that 3 dimensional sound you sometimes read people experiencing. I've never really heard that with the exception of super high priced systems with $40,000 speakers at my local hi-fi shop. Now here it was in my modest system!

Bob Marley Exodus was next on the list to experience and it was again like listening to an album I thought I knew well but this time sounded remastered with much more studio acoustics and room. The bass guitar sounded like a 60's Pbass not just bloated fatness.

Needless to say I'm very impressed with this Blue Circle Fon Lo Thingee and would recommend any of you guys on a budget to preview it. One fellow online user told me he had to sell his Gram Slee Era Gold after previewing the FLT in his system. Pretty high praise considering the following the Gram Slee has and the cost to own one. I personally think The FLT is a sleeper pre-amp and the word hasn't got out yet. I don't think anyone else here on AK has used one so I thought I'd throw this thread / review out there.

Here's a list of the equipment I previewed the FLT with:

VPI HW-19 Mk.4
Denon DL-103R
CineMag Tranformers
Denon AVR-3803 Pre-amp section only
Acurus A250 Power
Paradigm Studio 60 mains
Rythmik DIY 12" Sub
 
Register to hide this ad
That good, huh? Hmm. I can always use another stage. I found the Jd9 quite nice, but I tinkered with it quite a bit, first.
 
WTF, but after reading the quality of the 'housing' makes sense. Thanks for mentioning this product and the review!

2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Is there a US dealer for this? I did some quick searching and came up empty.


I was talking with my local dealer about this today and he said there is 6 US dealers that seemed to be spread accros the country. Blue Circles web site says to contact them for the nearest dealer to you.
 
WTF, but after reading the quality of the 'housing' makes sense. Thanks for mentioning this product and the review!

2.jpg

Yeah, I'll post some pics of my unit. I guess all the money is spent on the compontents and assembly and you save on the chassis. After hearing it, I've come to appreciate the astethics. It has a blue LED that shines behind the silicone that looks kind of cool. Is it uber high end looking??? No. does it sound high end? YES.

I guess you have to be in the pursuit of excellent sound on a budget to appreciate the Fon Lo Thingee.

I should note that despite my reservations that the different power supplies would make a difference in the sound, I found the Biggie Power Supply made a rather large difference. I noticed much more of the highs and clarity even when switching supplies on the fly. It was very noticable. A little checking on why there was so much difference revealed that the supplys actually supplied slightly different voltage levels to the FLT in addition to the capacitance difference between them.
 
I'm a US dealer and repair facility for Blue Circle. PM me if you have any questions.
 
Pics!!

Here's some detailed pics:

IMG_0542.jpg


I dimmed the lights a little but the daylight still came in. You can see the blue LED reflecting off of the RCA's. It looks nice at night with the room lights dimmed as they usually are in my man cave.
IMG_0543.jpg


IMG_0544.jpg


IMG_0547.jpg


There is an extra set of RCA's to put custom made RCA loading plugs in. I'm currently very happy without. Also, there is a MC MM gain switch in there.
IMG_0545.jpg


Here's the Biggie Pipe Supply.
IMG_0549.jpg


Again, the warm blue hue pleases me!
IMG_0552.jpg


This is the standard power supply in front of the Biggie Pipe Supply with the FLT to the right.
IMG_0553.jpg


You also get the ability to replace the power cord when you upgrade to the Biggie Pipe Supply.
IMG_0554.jpg


As you can see it's also a conversation piece as much as the sound it makes. I think this whole concept is simply genius on the part of Blue Circle. Save statement pieces for the wealthy but still provide the sound to the average person. Sure I'd love to have a beautiful system that is as stunning to look at as is to listen to but for now, I'm overjoyed just to hear the recorded musicians play right in front of me right in my own house.
 
Looks really great, is that silicon sealant in the back? I guess they don't want you looking inside. It would be interesting though to get a shot of the innards.
 
Last edited:
Great concept... I think a lot of makers would serve their bottom lines very well by playing to the passionate hobbiest like this.
In fact, just about any high-end product that serves an entirely "disposable income" market could benefit from the "abandon aesthetics for cost" model...

As long as the RTV used is electronics-cure compatible I may try it myself. ;) (Cheap RTV silicone, kitchen/bath sealant for example, can outgas chemicals corrosive to electronics.)
 
Gilbert is well known for his use of silicone.

Here's a recent interview that partially explains some of his views.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107:off-the-cuff

Take a look at bluecircle.com and will see there are also products that are a treat to the eyes.

There's actually an entire line of Thingie's, (stuff in PVC pipes). DAC's head phone amps, preamp. Power conditioners. All well reviewed.
 
From what I can tell, Blue Circle has a long history of using silicone in their equipment from the early 90's I believe.... I don't know for sure but I'd like to think they've figured out what silicone is best for their equipment by now.....

Good point though....:scratch2:
 
I had the opportunity to play with FLT on my Shure V15 type IV with SAS equipped Oracle turntable last night and I have to say it didn't have the same magic. Don't get me wrong, It sounded great and still had much of that 3 dimensional feeling to it but it didn't have the ultra clear definition allowing the studio acoustics to come through as much. I don't know if this is a function of loading or it's just the V15 with SAS doesn't extract the same information as my Denon DL-103R/CineMag combo. The latter is somewhat hard to believe because the Denon is just a conical stylus but I can't say for sure. Either way, it still has my other pre-amps beat for imaging and a "live" sound. The Jolida JD9 is a beautiful pre-amp and in some ways I appreciate it for it's forward sound. If I was playing music at a party the Jolida would be a better choice because the projected sound out of the speakers is very aggressive and allows you to feel the music in your chest. My Project Phonobox II is still a great pre for the money but is bested by both the FLT and JD9.

So the one thing I've found out with the FLT is there definitely is a synergy between the CineMag transformers and the Thingee. I'd like to do some more experimenting as time permits and I'll post back.

I think I'd like to try a high end Grado and see what that would sound like. What other high end MM cartridges might make for a good test for the FLT....:scratch2::scratch2:
 
Last edited:
[QUOTE

I think I'd like to try a high end Grado and see what that would sound like. What other high end MM cartridges might make for a good test for the FLT....:scratch2::scratch2:[/QUOTE]

I lived with a type IV on my only table for almost 30 years , went through 4 or 5 stylus on it . But once I tried some other carts it sat on the shelf , even cheaper carts were more to my liking . I may live to regret that one day :scratch2:

You might want to try one of the prestige line just to see , or borrow one ? But that unit gets lots of great reviews and has the ability to upgrade from the entry level unit , so pretty cool for sure .
 
I had the opportunity to play with FLT on my Shure V15 type IV with SAS equipped Oracle turntable last night and I have to say it didn't have the same magic. Don't get me wrong, It sounded great and still had much of that 3 dimensional feeling to it but it didn't have the ultra clear definition allowing the studio acoustics to come through as much. I don't know if this is a function of loading or it's just the V15 with SAS doesn't extract the same information as my Denon DL-103R/CineMag combo. The latter is somewhat hard to believe because the Denon is just a conical stylus but I can't say for sure. Either way, it still has my other pre-amps beat for imaging and a "live" sound. The Jolida JD9 is a beautiful pre-amp and in some ways I appreciate it for it's forward sound. If I was playing music at a party the Jolida would be a better choice because the projected sound out of the speakers is very aggressive and allows you to feel the music in your chest. My Project Phonobox II is still a great pre for the money but is bested by both the FLT and JD9.

So the one thing I've found out with the FLT is there definitely is a synergy between the CineMag transformers and the Thingee. I'd like to do some more experimenting as time permits and I'll post back.

I think I'd like to try a high end Grado and see what that would sound like. What other high end MM cartridges might make for a good test for the FLT....:scratch2::scratch2:

Welcome to the wonderful world of synergy and component interaction.I am amazed at those who sneer at the suggestion.
 
Flt

Are you the fellow who bought the BP Power Supply from Jim Hickey? If, so this was a great move. If not, you need this with the FLT.

Best,

KK
 
Back
Top Bottom