• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL mega-comparo

Fred Sanford

Addicted Member
Um, we seem to have created a monster :yes:. The original idea was to hear some JBL L7s alongside some JBL L300s...so I offered to have some L7s brought here this coming weekend to sit next to my 4333As just for some casual listening. Should be fun, right? Except that all of us freaks that are attending own multiple JBLs, so of course everyone will throw a couple small samples in the cars just for a bit of flavor variety at what has become an all-you-can-eat JBL buffet.

OK, so here's the list of what's probably going to be here on Sunday:

4333A
HP420
L110
L100 (multiples)
L46 (multiples)
TR225
L7
L5
L1
S38
120Ti
T3

...along with some power options, of course:

Crown PS-400 (multiples)
Crown DC300A
JBL/Urei 6260
Adcom 2535 (multiples)
Altec 1270
Yamaha P2100 (multiples)
Yamaha RX-V1000
Nakamichi RE-1
Denon PMA-920
Elan Z-amp
ADA Rhapsody
Audio Control Architect

It's not PowerMan territory, but should be fun. At this point, I'm figuring we'll have the L7/4333A/120Ti thing going in the living room, and crowd the recording studio with the other toys- there's only 16 JBL/Altec cabinets there normally, what's a few more?

Comments and hopefully some pics to show you on Monday...stay tuned!

je
 
Register to hide this ad
Awh, wish i could donate mine

JBL l166s....

But im in MN, if anybody wants to drive them out there and back, i can donate for a bit.
 
Looks like a great way to spend a Sunday, let us know the overall vote count and the winner as well as the amp of choice!


-Mike
 
Looks like a great way to spend a Sunday, let us know the overall vote count and the winner as well as the amp of choice!


-Mike

Don't know that we're shooting for a winner, mostly it's for the L7 owner to decide if he wants to pursue some L300s/4333As.

I should compile a list of the JBLs these folks are leaving home...it's a lot more/bigger/better than what they're bringing.

je
 
Well, we did it, and it went well but wasn't very scientific...just as much blabbing as listening, but it was fun. I'll type more later (still have cleaning & re-wiring to do), but it was very interesting :yes:

Here's the JBLs that attended:

4333A
HP420
L110
L100
L46
TR225
L7
L5 (stayed in the mini-van, never came inside :grumpy:)
L1
S38
120Ti
L20T3

...and a couple other speakers were heard here & there:

Canton Karat 20
Canton Plus S
NHT SW10 sub
Velodyne VA-1210X sub
M&K V3B sub

There's also lots of beer left over, so I might have to do this again...

je
 
OK, here goes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



4333A (Higher extension of high frequencies than any other here, by an obvious margin. However, I think the 2405s were set a touch too loud, especially with the grilles off. 2231As are tired, and don't drop down as low as I think they should, might also not be as clean/clear as they could be due to spider sag & the questionable old Ashly crossover. I'm also still unhappy with the 800Hz area, right around my crossover point. A new active x-over is likely in the future, at the very least I need to borrow an RTA & calibrated mic. Overall very clean sound, easy to differentiate individual instruments & voices. I honestly think we hurt their sound a bit by having the L7s forward and outboard of them, that plus the grilles off made the horns harsher than what I'm used to in that room.)

HP420 (Placement dependant, strained in the low mids where the 5" driver picks up from ~140Hz, JBL tweeter is nice, aftermarket tweeter is only OK. Not bad, and surprising kick when "Rrroudness" button kicked in.)

L110 (A little dry when played right after the 120Ti/L7/4333A segment wrapped up, but in the assignment I've given it [near-field monitor] that's not such a bad thing. Accurate, solid, non-fatiguing.)

L100 (Sounded good on the Tempest song Mark hard-headedly insisted we use as reference [:D]; the tweeters always seem to grate on me, and the free-running woofer irritates me where it fights with the mid. Current config of a shelf near the ceiling and ZilchPlugg stuffing its hole isn't terrible, and the Crown DC300A is solid but not as pretty sounding as the Yamaha P2100 I was using previously.)

L46 (I'm liking these more and more every day. I think the pairing with the Elan Z-Amp is a good one. Placement near the ceiling seems to give me some reflections from the tweets, but I don't hate it. They do seem to be a very localized source, which isn't always good for surround- as in, it sounds like 5 distinct sound sources, instead of a nice, enveloping environment. Velodyne sub is good, but adjacent wall is too flimsy & often vibrates.)

TR225 (Eh. Big Eons. Absolutely fine as vocal monitors in my small studio, and came in handy for a couple of easy outdoor DJ gigs. )

L7 (I'll try to stay away from "...for the money"-type statements, 'cause there's just no question that these are killers for the $200-300 deals we're hearing about. Solid, pleasing, smooth. I'd grab a pair if I had a location for them. Probably could have done them better justice by making sure we were balancing the highs & lows with the power amps, but I can't say that there was anything glaring, just that it was a guess. They need to be out away from the wall, so I'd think you'd need a big, or at least sparsely-furnished room.)

120Ti (We started with these up on barstools as stands, to get the drivers up near the height of the L7s. Mmmmm...only OK, a little anemic. Dropped them to the floor, and the punch showed up. There's certainly a happy medium, if we spent more time with placement. These were outboard of the L7s, which were outboard & forward from the 4333As. Tough crowd, tough room, and these I'm sure suffered for the lack of care & attention we gave to their setup. Played with two of the 60W amps within the 2535s- the amp didn't seem to struggle, but we weren't pushing it. At this point we also did the same with the L7s, with input jumper straps in place.)

L5 (stayed in the wannabeemer mini-van, never came inside. )

NOTE- these next few were heard on small stands, maybe 12-14" high:

L1 (I liked it. Solid, not terribly articulate midrange, but not annoying or vague either. Didn't sound like it looked, never really sounded like a smaller speaker to me. I should have compared it to the HP420s, now I'm kind of curious to hear those tweets in an A/B.)

S38 (I didn't like it. Interesting look & configuration, lacked definition in the mids and might have actually been the worst we heard for high-end extension. Heather mentioned that her previous pair had an obviously different sound, so take that for what it's worth.)

L20T3 (Boxy, kinda like thumpin' on cardboard. Always drew my attention to their size. I think I could do a lot with better placement, and maybe a sub would free up these woofs to offer up some clarity to the midrange.)

...and a couple other speakers were heard here & there:

Canton Karat 20 (I really like these for surround, very natural for voice & sound effects, and they don't bring attention to themselves visually or audibly. Also great for lower-volume music listening, slightly hyped highs & a theater-type sub are a kind of built-in compensation for that use. Strained a bit when compared with the bigger JBLs for higher-volume tests, but didn't embarrass themselves.)

Canton Plus S (tossed quickly on the pile after the L20T3s and L1s, they were good but obviously satellites in search of a sub. Interestingly, these seemed to simply NOT play low freqs it couldn't handle, where the L20T3s tried to push it out & ended up hurting the overall sound. I like these for ambient music in a room, again the highs are a bit hyped so a mellower amp & less in-your-face placement pays off nicely. I've used these consistently for over 20 years, they've been real troopers.)

NHT SW10 sub (Ported 10". I love it for the size, I've had some little electronic quirks with it but think it was well worth the money.)

Velodyne VA-1210X sub (10" front-firing driver, 12" down-firing passive. Beefy. Its current shoved-in-a-corner location is an audio compromise, it's obvious that the left side of the room is heavier than the right. Two smaller subs up front would actually be a better approach, I think.)

M&K V3B sub (12" sealed acoustic suspension. Actually barely even on, under the desk with the L110s. The L110s are running full-range, the M&K is actually only in place to keep me from pushing too much low-end into my mixes- as soon as I can feel the bass against my legs, there's enough in the mix. I like it, but it's got a specific function to carry out in this config.)

je
 
Some pics of my systems/rooms, before the invasion of gear, beer & people:

Living Room
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0198 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0198 (Large).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 4,235
  • IMG_0199b (Large).jpg
    IMG_0199b (Large).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 97
Control Room & Studio/Theater/Man Cave:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0203 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0203 (Large).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 4,770
  • IMG_0208 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0208 (Large).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 6,383
  • IMG_0216b (Large).JPG
    IMG_0216b (Large).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 3,222
  • IMG_0217b (Large).jpg
    IMG_0217b (Large).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 268
Sweet mancave. I was once a working musician, got married / had kids / had to get a real job. :D Did lots of writing / producing / recording so that room looks fun to me. Good stuff.
 
Sweet mancave. I was once a working musician, got married / had kids / had to get a real job. :D Did lots of writing / producing / recording so that room looks fun to me. Good stuff.

Thanks- that's the idea. I'm generally the utility player- if other people can write good songs, even skeletal outlines, I can play some or all of the instruments & record the parts & help on the arrangements. I also love messing with guitars & amps, so I like to keep a variety around in order to have options. I've always worked in AV and pro sound, so it's kind of still related to my day jobs. That's my excuse, anyway. It's certainly paid for itself, at the very least.

Come on over!

je
 
Looks like we're doing this again soon...same crowd of people, with maybe an addition or two. More speakers, though...here's who might be representing JBL this time:

6.5" 2-ways:

L20T3s
4401s
L20Ts
L1s

10" 3-ways:

L110s
L50s
LX600s
L96s
L80Ts

Big guns:

4333As
L250s

Random extras:

L46s
HP420s
L100As
L5s
Dahlquist DQ9s
Canton Karat 20s
Canton Plus Ss
Canton Quinto 510s
Canton Patio 160s

...stay tuned for more news...maybe even some pictures this time.

:rockon:

je
 
Back
Top Bottom