• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Latest Rega motor arrives Monday

JohnMichael

Super Member
My Rega Planar 2 was purchased in 1998 and still using the original motor. Rega announced an update a few years ago but I did not feel the need to change. The latest motor will allow me to upgrade to the Rega TT PSU in the future. I like the idea of better speed control and speed change electronically without the need to change the belt on the pulley.

My Planar 2 is modded with the Incognito rewire, Michell Technoweight, DeepGroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Funk Firm Achroplat platter and some RDC cones. The subplatter was a big improvement in speed and why I did not feel the need to have the rigid mount motor. Now that the new motor is supposed to be even lower in vibrations and I could use either the walwart power supply or the Rega TT PSU. The new motor does away with the AC cord and the housing has the two inputs for either the walwart or the TT PSU but as they warn never both.

I have my supplies purchased for this mod and will be replacing the motors on Monday after UPS delivers. I will be listening to two records before and the same two afterwards. I am not sure if I will be able to say how much improvement just using the walwart alone. Regardless I have a brand new motor for another 14 years. I do plan on changing the main bearing lubricant while I am at it.

Will let you know what I hear.
 
Register to hide this ad
Any improvement is a great help in any Turntable, I heard great thing's about the
new motor, lower levels in vibrations is a main reason to get the new motor.

Tube
 
I installed the new Rega motor today. Several solder joints to desolder but only two to install the switch wires for the new motor. So far I have to say it really increases pace, rhythm and timing. Here are some pictures.
 

Attachments

  • 004 small.jpg
    004 small.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 005 small.jpg
    005 small.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 008 small.jpg
    008 small.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I recommend the motor upgrade for anyone who has an older Rega with the o ring mounted motor. The fixed motor has really improved musical flow. Bass lines are easier to follow and with more impact. Most interesting is the change in vocals. The correctness of speed instead of running fast makes vocals sound more natural. Before female vocalists sounded like they were singing slightly sharp. I wish I were at home spinning vinyl but I need to work.
 
Warning, warning

In my enthusiasm I installed the new motor and put it into use right away. Of course the adhesive did not hold. When I called for advice they informed me I needed to keep the table upside down for 24 hours. This is not listed in the instructions but the dealer was aware.

Tonight I will be reattaching the motor and will try to be adult and wait the 24 hours to let it adhere. Like a kid with a new toy.
 
When I installed the motor the first time I needed to remove the subplatter and bearing hub to place a washer between the plinth and bearing hub. This was to align the subplatter with the new motor's pulley. Since I know how easy it is to remove before I attempt to remount I will remove it and the subplatter. Since it will be upside down for 24 hours I do not have to worry about losing lubrication. Also with the platter, subplatter and bearing well removed I do not have to worry about anything bumping into the cartridge.

Now that the subplatter will not need to be taped down I will have a better visual for centering the motor. Then by tomorrow after 24 hours reassembly and enjoying some vinyl.
 
Here is the heart of my turntable, the bearing well and down the well is the ceramic bearing and the Deep Groove subplatter. Tomorrow evening I will put it all back together and have a night of vinyl.
 

Attachments

  • 001 ssmaller.jpg
    001 ssmaller.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 49
I would like to hear your feedback on the subplatter upgrade. They do charge awful a lot of money for simply machined piece of aluminum. But are they worth the $? I was thinking about the maple/birch plinth replacement for upgraded looks for my Planar 3. Not so hot about red plinth.
 
I would like to hear your feedback on the subplatter upgrade. They do charge awful a lot of money for simply machined piece of aluminum. But are they worth the $? I was thinking about the maple/birch plinth replacement for upgraded looks for my Planar 3. Not so hot about red plinth.



First the subplatter is very nicely machined. I have the Deep Groove subplatter I purchased through Music Direct. When I installed it in my Planar 2there was an improvement. This was in the days the motors were mounted on an O ring and had some play to the mount. Also Rega's were known to run a little fast. The greater mass and flywheel effect of the machined subplatter over the engineering plastic subplatter helped with speed and stability.

I am still going to use it with the new motor. I am thinking that the extra mass will continue to help now that I am using a lighter platter, the Achroplat platter, and the mass may help when playing heavily modulated grooves. Stylus drag can slow a table down but I doubt if I could hear it.

All my tweaks have taken place over the 14 years of ownership so none of them seem like too much of an expense.
 
When I installed the motor the first time I needed to remove the subplatter and bearing hub to place a washer between the plinth and bearing hub. This was to align the subplatter with the new motor's pulley. Since I know how easy it is to remove before I attempt to remount I will remove it and the subplatter. Since it will be upside down for 24 hours I do not have to worry about losing lubrication. Also with the platter, subplatter and bearing well removed I do not have to worry about anything bumping into the cartridge.

Now that the subplatter will not need to be taped down I will have a better visual for centering the motor. Then by tomorrow after 24 hours reassembly and enjoying some vinyl.


The table had 26 hours for the pad to cure and I was able to better center the motor this time. All back together and sounding good.
 
The first attempt at using the wood glue to create a better surface for the adhesive pad failed by the next day. Once again every thing apart and I decided on a second coat of wood glue. I gave the wood glue another 24 hours to harden before applying the pad. During that 24 hours I went to the hardware store for screws, washers and nuts. I was still thinking the surface coated in wood glue would work since the adhesive pad would adhere to the motor case so strongly.

I took the motor and visually lined it up with the lines I had drawn and set it down almost exactly where I wanted it. It was pretty well centered but I wanted to move it slightly. At that point the motor was not about to budge. I flipped the table over and yes it was in good position. I tried again to see if I could seperate the plinth from the motor and adhesive pad but when I lifted on the motor I also lifted the turntable.

I have been spinning vinyl without any problems now for four days. This is not long enough to instill confidence but I think I am on the right track. I look forward to the day I no longer think about if things are holding tight. Of course I am keeping the hardware just in case.
 
Back
Top Bottom