• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rega 24V and TT PSU upgrade

JohnMichael

Super Member
As some of you may know I upgraded the motor in my 14 year old Planar 2. I noticed an immediate improvement but with audible memory being brief I wondered if the tweak was as good as I initially thought. I certainly would not swap motors again to relisten to the change.

I figured a way to compare the before and after. Since I had transferred some vinyl to cd for use in the car so I had my before source. Now with the new motor I rerecorded parts of two records so I could compare the same music. I was listening only to differences in speed and stability due to using a different cartridge and phono preamp.

Comparing the recordings has been interesting and questions my ears. The new motor has created a solid image, more focused soundstage and more coherent vocals. The older loose mounted motor allowed the image to shift slightly and sounded a little phasey overall. As the motor moved slightly in it's mount you can hear those shifts in sustained notes But not with the rigid mount motor.

I mentioned my ears because now I wonder how I tolerated the speed issues. Now that I listen to the updated table I know I would not be able to go back. Maybe this lesson has better trained my ears when listening to turntables.

The CDs were made using a Sony stand alone cd recorder. Levels adjusted and no noise filtration or any computer processing used. An interesting experience.
 
Register to hide this ad
My experience tells me that speed stability is something that either jumps right out at a listener, or it doesn't. For me, speed stability is paramount, and no I don't have perfect pitch. The human ear is amazingly forgiving of pitch anomalies, but once you hear it correctly, you immediately question how you could have missed it for so long. Chalk it up to experience.
 
Thanks for the description! I have a 24v with TTPSU like you, and had noticed a slight instability, which has been slightly reduced with the double belt pulley from Michael Lim in Indonesia. However, it is the speed/attack and Image solidity that is the real benefit here, using white belts.
I also have a Technics SL1200II which I can easily compare to, but I always choose the Rega. There are some LPs that will always have some slight warbling, which we just have to get used to, or just listen to a cd if it bothers that much.
 
As some of you may know I upgraded the motor in my 14 year old Planar 2. I noticed an immediate improvement but with audible memory being brief I wondered if the tweak was as good as I initially thought. I certainly would not swap motors again to relisten to the change.

I figured a way to compare the before and after. Since I had transferred some vinyl to cd for use in the car so I had my before source. Now with the new motor I rerecorded parts of two records so I could compare the same music. I was listening only to differences in speed and stability due to using a different cartridge and phono preamp.

Comparing the recordings has been interesting and questions my ears. The new motor has created a solid image, more focused soundstage and more coherent vocals. The older loose mounted motor allowed the image to shift slightly and sounded a little phasey overall. As the motor moved slightly in it's mount you can hear those shifts in sustained notes But not with the rigid mount motor.

I mentioned my ears because now I wonder how I tolerated the speed issues. Now that I listen to the updated table I know I would not be able to go back. Maybe this lesson has better trained my ears when listening to turntables.

The CDs were made using a Sony stand alone cd recorder. Levels adjusted and no noise filtration or any computer processing used. An interesting experience.

It is easy to enjoy the gear you have, and even question the need for upgrades, UNTIL you hear something better. Then there is no going back.
 
It is easy to enjoy the gear you have, and even question the need for upgrades, UNTIL you hear something better. Then there is no going back.


You are so right Bigerik. I have noticed that several times in my audio journey. When I finally stepped up to the Marantz SA8001 from a budget player the improvement was easily audible. I do not think I can ever go budget.

Same with my MFSL OML1's which is a great little speaker. The solid cabinets let you hear the music with little contributions from the cabinets. I also have a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's. It's larger panels after listening to the OML1's contribute to the music but not in a good way.

Now that the Rega is sounding so good I am spinning more vinyl. Of course now I would like to hear a table that would be several notches above the Rega.
 
Back
Top Bottom