• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sheppard Floorstanding speakers

bolly

Lunatic Member
Banned
here.
Don't know anything about these... I do wish they were local! :tears:

"Pair of Superb Sheppard Floor Standing Speakers
Each Speaker has 4 Kef Units with Adjusting Reostats for two centre speakers on the front. Size is 29.5" High, 15" Wide and 12" deep (each) with a Teak finish. Kef Units are B139, B110 (Built in a separate integral box), T15 (I think) and a T27."
 

Attachments

  • speakers-11.jpg
    speakers-11.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 53
  • speakers-12.jpg
    speakers-12.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 25
  • speakers-14.jpg
    speakers-14.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 57
Register to hide this ad
Kef Sheppard speakers

I am watching them as I live not that far away,could be tempted , also watching a pair of reference series 104AB , which would you go for??

Cheers
 
I had a pair Kef104AB's cropwalker, if I never had my IMF TLS50...I would never sold them. As to which one I'd choose, kef/sheppard, hard to say... but I still wish them sheppards were local!
 
Go for both! The sheppards, although not well known, use a whole complement of KEF drivers including the active B139 woofer. I suspect they would sound pretty good although I would not have arranged the drivers the way they are on the baffle. You could purchase and listen to them, if good, keep, if not, you probably could double your money by parting them out.

The 104AB's are great speakers for their design (T27, B200, passive BD139 radiator) and were one of KEF's classic designs which has held up over the years. Probably a better looking cabinet except that the front foam grille covers are always rotted away. Once you create some new grilles, the should look good.

Both speakers should be put on stands at least 12 inches off the ground to sound best. I think they will sound somewhat similar given their British and KEF heritage.

Good luck.

Regards,

Bart
 
bolly said:
I had a pair Kef104AB's cropwalker,
You kept that one a secret greg!
Mind if i ask a question? If i'm correct the 104AB has the same driver compliment as my KEF Concertos. Before I go recapping my Concertos in desperation to try and get some more treble out those tweeters, were the 104AB extremely dull and lacking in the treble department, or have i confirmed my suspicions that its just my speakers needing recapped?
 
hi richard, I loved my kef104ab, an excellent sounding smallish-speaker. I never seen or heard kef concertos though.
 
Richard,
My advice is recap your speakers. Shouldn´t cost much and i´ll bet you´ll be amazed at the difference.
Jorge
 
Hi
thanks for your thoughts, I will have a go , the 104AB`s look in superb condition and have there origional boxes, documentation ect so they look the better deal , the trouble is how much?? If I get them it will be interesting to see how they compare with Lentek Transmision line monitors I have!

Cheers Chris
 
where's them lentek pics cropwalker

I foolishly parted with my kef104ab for about $175US :(
 
You have Lentek's Chris? :jawdrop: . I think it would be hard for any speakers to beat Lentek's somehow, certainly in terms of bass. If you ever fancy selling them give us a nod :D.
 
The going price for them on eBay is between £100GBP and £150GBP, but with the orig. boxes and documentation I wouldn't be surprised if the went for £200GBP.
 
kenwood_lover said:
You kept that one a secret greg!
Mind if i ask a question? If i'm correct the 104AB has the same driver compliment as my KEF Concertos. Before I go recapping my Concertos in desperation to try and get some more treble out those tweeters, were the 104AB extremely dull and lacking in the treble department, or have i confirmed my suspicions that its just my speakers needing recapped?

Hi,

Here's some information on the Concerto from a KEF appreciation site (formerly Allan's Online):

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/SpeakerSystems/Concerto/Concerto.html

Also, Here's the link for the schematic of the Concerto Crossover:

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/SpeakerSystems/Concerto/ConcertoCrossover.html
ConcertoCrossoverSchematic.jpg


The tweeters should be disconnected from the crossover and checked to see that they still have good output. Connect a low power amplifier with bass and mid controls turned down. Find some interstation hiss on an FM tuner and use that as a signal source. You should be able to get good high frequency output with a nudge of the amplifier volume control. Do not put a lot of HF input into any tweeter directly as you can burn them out. Just test to where they get reasonably loud. If the tweeters pass this test, then they probably are fine.

Then you should go ahead and recap the two 5 uf caps in the 18db/octave high pass filter for the T27. Alternatively, you might conisder purchasing new crossovers built by Falcon Acoustics. They have been providing commercial and DIY crossovers for three decades and have some purpose built for the Concerto.

See http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/pl28p4.htm and Networks 5, 6C, 33C, or no. 53. Network 53 is the best one of the bunch and has the uprated acoustic butterworth section that supposedly makes the T27 sound the best. It is a bit more expensive but you would then get all new inductors and capacitors with a pedigree design (Malcom Jones, M.D. of Falcon, worked for KEF designing the crossovers up through the 104aB series). I don't think these use "audiophile" type capacitors but you might be able to get them to make up some using polypropylene caps.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bart
 
So you wanted some pics of Lenteks?

I like to oblige.
Chris.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 18
Certainly do!
looking at the KEF Reference 104 AB to use as rear speakers for surruond sound, do you think im going over the top? currently using a pair of K2 Celeste.

Chris R
 
:lmao: over-the-top, I think not! :) I'm still tryin to finagle the wife into lettin me grab a pair of IMF RSPM MkIV :yikes:
 
Back to the start of the thread KEF Sheppard...

I asked a forum dedicated to KEF Drive units and got the following reply!
Posted by Colin R
"Oh dear, you're not the poor chap who's just bought that pair of "ringers" off Epay.

B139B's have been fitted into B139A frames and the T27's are SP1032's not A6535's, for those who didn't see them.
The T15 ceased to be availble to the general public in 1975 and to the trade in 1977, so you can roughly date the speakers if you wish.

As far as I'm aware Sheppard were cabinet makers, who produced audio furniture. I've got one of their record cabinets."

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/

This is a good link if you want to know anything about KEF drive units.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers Chris
 
Back
Top Bottom