• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

OLA Woofer - Original?

BmWr75

Top octave? pfffffftttttt
Subscriber
Picked up these OLAs with the walnut beveled edge cabinets today. Was surprised when I removed the grills and the woofers looked like this (see pictures) and appear to have metal frames. Was expecting to see the masonite ring. Both woofers are identical and look like they've never been removed from the cabinets. Are they original equipment?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Look original to me. The early ones have the Masonite. Also appears they have recently been refoamed and correctly.
 
Look original to me. The early ones have the Masonite. Also appears they have recently been refoamed and correctly.

The fellow I bought them from claimed he was the original owner since sometime in the 1970s. When I asked if he had refoamed the woofers, he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Just did the finger test on the foam surround and it is pretty rotten. Will plan on redoing them and recapping too.
 
The fellow I bought them from claimed he was the original owner since sometime in the 1970s. When I asked if he had refoamed the woofers, he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Just did the finger test on the foam surround and it is pretty rotten. Will plan on redoing them and recapping too.

Oh. Looks great in the pix.
 
Picked up these OLAs with the walnut beveled edge cabinets today. Was surprised when I removed the grills and the woofers looked like this (see pictures) and appear to have metal frames. Was expecting to see the masonite ring. Both woofers are identical and look like they've never been removed from the cabinets. Are they original equipment?

That actually looks like a Jensen LA woofer for the 5002/5012 based on the paper dust cap. NLA woofers have a cloth dust cap. Looks too neat and original to be a replacement from a refoam job. This would indicate that the woofers were replaced at some point. Please let us know if the magnets are round and if the back plate is raised for more VC clearance.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=2931
 
That is an Advent replacement woofer.
Chances are the guy's woofers either died or rotted and he bought replacements from Advent.
They are still old woofers so the foam is going to be rotten.


So, they aren't original, but they are replacements with the same specs.
 
If that tweeter is original, then those are too old to have had a newer woofer put in them at the factory as most of us agree Advent probably did with the last original Advents in '77 - '78.

The black tape going all the way across the front of the masonite indicates a pre-1975 tweeter when the originals would still have had masonite woofers placed in them.

And, as Pete said, the dust cap looks like it's paper and the originals had cloth.

What are the serial numbers?

Doug
 
What are the serial numbers?

Serial Numbers = A 72267 and A 72730
Dustcaps = paper
Magnets = round

I have a pair of OLAs in utility cabinets with the original masonite woofers. Have already refoamed them. Think I should swap the masonite woofers into the walnut cabinets? Am certain I will keep the walnut cabinets, may get rid of the utility cabinets.
 
Last edited:
Ya, those are from the early seventies (1972?) and would have originally had the masonite woofers.

They were replaced with Jensen era ones which, functionally, is OK.

When I bought a pair of walnuts in which the woofers had been replaced with all-metal woofers, it bugged me enough to where I got a pair of masonites off eBay with close to the same dates as the speakers and installed them.

If I were you and you are pretty certain you are going to sell the utilities, I would swap the woofers.

Doug
 
Back
Top Bottom