• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ebay tips: buying and selling. Post your thoughts!

outlawmws

On the Run
OK, it was suggested in another thread to start of on Epay etiquette. I took the liberty of lifting the suggestions others made to start this one, and have included the handles of who made the suggestions, while only spellchecking them. I didn’t change them.

I’ll edit the list with good suggestions (not cracks and comedy) so we don’t have to search the thread to find them all…

Description translations courtesy of Gyusher:

eBay terms (Descriptive)

1)- Near mint = you know the answer to that. . .
2)- Powers up but untested = broke
3)- Scratchy controls = could be much deeper
4)- No lights, easy fix = then why don’t they fix it??
5)- Stereo Light is burnt out = might be much more than a light
6)- Light feather like scratches = lots of scratches
7)- Flea bites = chips or other deep scratches
8)- Cant see it unless you look real close= You see it from across the room



Buying On Epay:

Bookasan:

1) Read the terms carefully.

2) Read the positive and negative feedbacks carefully. I have seen positive feedback that mentions bad things about the seller. You should also take a look at the buyer’s feedback when reading negatives. I have 1 neg from some nutcase who never paid, but claimed he did. Said he had proof and I offered him a full refund plus $100 if he showed me the proof. He never did. He had something like 3 out of 5 negatives, all saying basically the same thing.
Anyone taking the time to read my negative and then looking at his, should be able to see where the real problem was.
Look for patterns. Several negs about poor shipping or defective items is a red flag.

3) If you are not willing to take a chance, don't buy on Ebay.

Vintage TX

(4) Check the other items the seller has, if it's clothes, books and piddly items, big chance they don't know how to pack. :no:
Every auction with a woman running the show, damaged decks or poor packing arrived here. :thumbsdn:
(5) Contact the seller before bidding and ask questions. No answer RED FLAG, don't bid… :D

Outlawmws:

6) If they don't specifically list the shipping, and won't until after the close, don’t bid, red flag.

7) Wait to bid. Decide what you’re max bid is, then wait till the last minute. Use a sniper engine if you can’t be there personally.

Krimney:

8) Only bid what you can afford to lose. It's kind of like gambling; if you can't afford to lose it don't bet. With Ebay you have some sort of odds based on the feedback, shipping/pickup, type of merchandise. But in the end you have little recourse if you send $ for an item to a stranger for an item you've never seen before.

Gyusher:

9) Ask questions. History? Why are they selling it? 1 Owner? How long have they had it? etc.

10) Do not bid until you completely understand the sellers terms, shipping and packing charges along with full knowledge of the item itself.

11) Do not assume anything. . .Good pics can cover up a ton of problems.

TWantiques:

12) Be especially careful if considering buying from a new seller, there won't be much feedback to rely on. All you can do is ask plenty of questions...or forget about it. :thmbsp: This is a good example of a gamble...not buying anything worth more than you are willing to lose. :yes:


Selling on Epay:

Outlaw:

1) List your terms, be specific, if it’s used, if it works, what payment is accepted. etc…

2) Use the damn shipping estimators (They are free…) . But keep in mind, it’s an estimate. I make a disclaimer…

Retro Stereo:

2a) I normally just use a flat rate for shipping and handling and have NEVER had anyone complain about my rates,

Krimney:

3) keep the description accurate and simple and the better the pictures the higher the sale price.

Bordeno:

3a) More than any single other thing, a well written description, checked for spelling and grammar, with wry humor included, raises the final price of your auction. You are what you say, and buyers are more attracted by a well written description. Other things have an effect on final selling price, especially clear pictures of the unit itself (and nothing else), but from my experience, a top notch description is what gets the bids.

Styler:

4) After many recent selling experiences, i recommend being very clear about return policies, risk of damage in shipping, and requiring insurance (just include it in S/H) Also, no offense to my Canadian friends, but do not undervalue or mark items as gifts for buyers, its against the law (yes its stupid and unfair law) but has ramifications if there is a dispute. be up front on how a dispute will be settled.

piece-it-pete:

5) From a selling view I'll add that I always err on the side of caution in my descriptions. Better to get 5% less and a happy customer than 5% more and a bad transaction.

6) On freight quotes I too add a buck or two, when it comes in less I'll put maybe the actual costs broken down with the packing list, say it's $.72 less, I'll throw a buck in with it. Holy cow do folks like this, will generally look at the item more charitably, and if there are issues will tend to be easier to work with. Plus, it adds a shine on the service end of the deal, which will show through the feedback left.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
buying on ebay....

Only bid what you can afford to lose. It's kind of like gambling , if you can't afford to lose it don't bet. With ebay you have some sort of odds based on the feedback, shipping/pickup, type of merchandise. But in the end you have little recourse if you send $ for an item to a stranger for an item you've never seen before.

My selling tips, keep the description accurate and simple and the better the pictures the higher the sale price.
 
outlawmws said:
2) Use the damn shipping estimators (They are free…) . But keep in mind, it’s an estimate. I make a disclaimer…

Only problem I have with this one, is I ship using Fedex Ground. The estimators are for UPS or USPS only.
 
bookasan said:
Only problem I have with this one, is I ship using Fedex Ground. The estimators are for UPS or USPS only.

That's a good idea though, I use FedEx Ground myself and they are normally about 30% cheaper than UPS or the USPS. So if I use the UPS shipping calculator, that's more $$$ for me in the end! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I'm just kidding by the way. I normally just use a flat rate for shipping and handling and have NEVER had anyone complain about my rates, probably because I have actually lost a buck or two sometimes, and then there are the times I have made a buck or two, it all evens out in the end.


Retro
 
Description, the power of the written word...

More than any single other thing, a well written description, checked for spelling and grammar, with wry humour included, raises the final price of your auction.

You are what you say, and buyers are more attracted by a well written description.

I just sold a Luxman PD-284, granted, it had the original box and manual, for $251. I was surprised it brought that much - I'd offered it on AK for $150 the week before.

Other things have an effect on final selling price, especially clear pictures of the unit itself (and nothing else), but from my experience, a top notch description is what gets the bids.
 
bookasan said:
Only problem I have with this one, is I ship using Fedex Ground. The estimators are for UPS or USPS only.


I use FedEx ground also now( just switched over), and my future disclamers will reflect this... :thmbsp:
 
I havn't had a single complaint about shipping either.
I use a flat rate for smaller items and parts or raw speakers, but "charge actual shipping" for larger items like receivers and speakers. I have no problem
giving someone an estimate before they bid and I answer those emails all day long. I usually pad it by just a couple of bucks. Not to be greedy, but just in case. sometimes I make a couple extra and sometimes I lose a few.
The other day I tried selling a power amp with a flat rate of only $9.99, thinking it may increase bids, and I would just take it out of the sale price.
Of course, the winning bidder was on the other coast and it cost me almost $30 to ship. Don't think I will be doing that again.
 
PICTURES! Good ones if at all possible.
I spend a lot of time taking what I think are good pictures and I can tell you it does increase the final bids.
 
I had 3 people Email to complain about why thier item hadn't arrived yet? In all 3 cases they paid with a check, and sure enough, the 10 working days had not passed... Now anyone that mentions paying with a check, gets a rehash reminder of the 10 working days to clear, but it's up to them! :D
 
disclaimer

after many recent selling experiences, i recommend being very clear about return policies, risk of damage in shipping, and requiring insurance (just include it in S/H) Also, no offense to my Canadian friends, but do not undervalue or mark items as gifts for buyers, its against the law (yes its stupid and unfair law) but has ramifications if there is a dispute. be up front on how a dispute will be settled.
 
Tips

Buyers
1)- Ask questions. History? Why are they selling it? 1 Owner? How long have they had it? etc.
2)- Do not bid until you completly understand the sellers terms, shipping and packing charges along with full knowledge of the item itself.
3)- Do not assume anything. . .Good pics can cover up a ton of problems.

eBay terms (Descriptive)
1)- Near mint = you know the answer to that. . .
2)- Powers up but untested = broke
3)- Scratchy controls = could be much deeper
4)- No lights, easy fix = then why dont they fix it??
5)- Stereo Light is burnt out = might be much more than a light
6)- Light feather like scratches = lots of scratches
7)- Flea bites = chips or other deep scratches
8)- Cant see it unless you look real close= You see it from across the room
 
Buyers Tip

Be especially careful if considering buying from a new seller, there won't be much feedback to rely on. All you can do is ask plenty of questions...or forget about it. :thmbsp:

This is a good example of a gamble...not buying anything worth more than you are willing to lose. :yes:

Terry
 
Good tips! From a selling view I'll add that I always err on the side of caution in my descriptions. Better to get 5% less and a happy cust. than 5% more and a bad transaction.

Oh yeah and on frt quotes I too add a buck or two, when it comes in less I'll put maybe the actual costs broken down with the packing list, say it's $.72 less, I'll throw a buck in with it. Holy cow do folks like this, will generally look at the item more charitably, and if there are issues will tend to be easier to work with. Plus, it adds a shine on the service end of the deal, which will show through the feedback left.

Pete
 
Great comments all! :banana: I'm seeing some repeats, but this early that's OK, I'll wait till most of the dust has settled, and do some judicious editing to combine and give it more structure. :yes: I'll think of something to continue to give credit, possibly shared credits as there are variations of a theme in several. I have a couple of thoughts on how to do the credit thing.

Keep em comming! :thmbsp:
 
My experiences

This might get long winded but I put together a list of things I try to do when buying and selling. . .

So far I have a 100% positive rating of 295. . . not very high by some standards but it works for me. . Not for everyone but it does work for me. . . Big subject. . . I think I only scratched the surface. . .

EBAY Etiquette

Buying
1) Never bid on impulse
Impulse buying is the single biggest reason for buyer’s remorse.

2) Never bid without knowing the seller’s terms and conditions.
Shipping charges, packing charges, packing materials charges, plus any hidden other fees. How he wants payment, PayPal, Money Order (what kind) echeck, personal check and yes cash in a thick envelope. . .

3) Never bid without knowing exactly what you are bidding on.
Too many buyers, even experienced buyers take a lot for granted sometimes. I have seen the item for auction buried under other equipment. I think we all remember the power meters on ebay recently; at first it looked like a complete amp but not so. . . When buying vintage gear be sure you know what you need to know; output power, different functions, specs and exactly how it functions.

4) Never bid without reading the description completely
Descriptions can be a treasure trove of information even if only one sentence long. The seller tells you about his gear but more importantly he tells you about himself. The way he describes the piece, where he got it (estate sale ring a bell). A simple description will tell you if he knows the piece, where he got it, if he does this for a living or a hobby. Often “0” feedback newbie’s are selling their receiver that they bought brand new. Emails are in order. Don’t ever think you know it all or sure as hell you will get burnt. Even secretive snipers need to ask questions before they bid. I sell too and I hate it when I get a buyer out of the blue when I have been corresponding back and forth with who I thought would be the winner only to have it snatched up at the last second then the buyer wants to try and get a better price or ask questions after the fact.

5) Never bid unless you are fully intent on buying the item.
Often you will be the only bidder or the high bidder falls out unexpectedly and now it’s yours. Also don’t expect just because there is a higher bid than yours and you start bidding on another item only to win them all and then not be able to pay for all of them. . . It happens. . . Take bidding seriously, the seller does. . .

6) Never bid to mark an item; use eBay’s watch list
I know it is easy to place a minimum bid on something to mark it only to find out 7 or 10 days later you just won and now you have 50 to 75 bucks in shipping charges staring you in the face on top of that 10 dollar bid. . .

7) Never bid the first time you see the item; come back to it.
Coming back to the item makes you think about it. You would be surprised how much more you see the second and third time.

8) Never bid for someone else.
Your good buddy might just stop being your good buddy if what you just bought for him/her turns out to be junk or a shipping nightmare. . . Let them buy their own or have a damn good understanding first.

9) Never bid just to find the reserve.
You might just pop the reserve and find you just bought it. Ebay frowns on bid retractions and they follow you just like feedback. . .

10) Never bid to help the seller (shill bidding)
Big no-no. . . I think we all know the answer to this one. . .

Selling
1) Always answer emails
Buyers are fickle, sometimes they send emails just to see if you are paying attention. If they don’t know you and they are good buyers they are going to get as much information as they can. Besides with many eBay sellers just wanting your money a good repeat buyer is like money in the bank. I can’t tell you how many times I have sold an item for the minimum only to have the buyer come back and buy the big ticket item from me. Being on a buyer’s favorites list is better than money in the bank.

2) Always provide through and accurate descriptions with good pics, no great pics.
You do not want to fool anyone period. Soon as it hits their door the truth come out. A good accurate description solves many problems before they get started and good buyers appreciate accurate descriptions, might not pay now but it will pay off when you need it to. Like when you are selling that one of a kind item for top dollar++. Remember the favorites list??
A good camera will more than pay for itself. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words . . .?? Truer words were never spoken. “Glamour Shots” Yes sir. . . Big, good, clear warts and all pics. . .

3) Always check your bidder’s feedback
Nip it in the bud. . . If you state no negs then do not let negs go unanswered. A bidder with negative feedback bidding on your auction after you told them not to or to email first just told you that your bidder did not read your description and you want your description read fully and understood completely.

4) Always keep bidders honest; newbie’s that don’t ask first, letting a bid stand with too many negatives.
As above. . . Don’t let it stand thinking someone else will win. . .Bidders look at the bidders list and they look for canceled bids if for no other reason than to see if you meant what you said. It just might cause a poor buyer from clicking that BIN button and causing you grief after the sale.

5) Always cancel bids where it is obvious the bidder did not read your description.
Again I can’t say enough about this. . . Often it is a judgment call . . . every time I have had a problem buyer I knew inside before hand, simply from a misunderstanding over something they did not know because they bid from pics not from the description.. You want that description read and understood.

6) Always post your email answers and questions on your auction
Bidders read those questions and it is a great way to add useful information to your description without revising the auction. . . Questions can come from anyone.. . besides it makes your auction look busy and it just might push a fence sitter to the BIN button if he/she thinks others are interested too. . .

7) Always be available and prompt with your responses to questions.
Fast responses will make sales for you. . . No one likes sitting around waiting for answers. They might just go to the other Z99-1250-9000 auction. . .

8) Always be alert to scammers; looks like a duck. . .
Too good to be true. . .most times it is. . . We all have read about scammers in the “Off Topic” section so I wont go into it here only to say “Pay Attention” the money you save might be your own. . .

9) Always pack carefully and ship promptly insured. . .
No better feedback for a vintage audio sell can be had than “Great Packing” this WILL make you MONEY. . . Use good materials, study the section here on AK about packing. Do it right even it it is a 1 dollar item. . . Remember the “Favorites” list? Nothing will get you there faster period. Good packers are gold. . .take care of them by buying from them. . .

10) Always provide tracking numbers and follow up on sold items.
You take care of your buyers and they will take care of you. A great way to head off negative feedback and to build your customer base. Buyers appreciate an email asking them how it’s going with their new piece they just bought from you. Want to get on that “Favorites” list?? Take care of your buyers even when it hurts. . .
 
Back
Top Bottom