• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

US postal service blows goats

Mike Bama

More volume, please!
I have been tracking a SX-737 since it was shipped from Wisconsin, on 7/18, and I was told it would take 4 days. No problem there. On 7/23 I check tracking, and it showed leaving Atlanta on 7/22, 140 miles away. I thought to my self, geat. It will be here Saturday 7/23. WRONG! :worried:
As of this morning, it is still just showing it left Atlanta on 7/22. :scratch2:
I should have told em UPS, or FedEx. :yes:
I guess you live, and learn. Hopefully it will be here today.
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, if it was dropped off at the Post Office late on the 18th, it went out on the 19th. 5 business days (the usual) would make TODAY your lucky day! It is probably sitting at your local depot waiting to be delivered.
 
The USPS is nortoriuosly bad in updates of tracking numbers.. I have had items DELIVERED and the website was saying that the shipper had made a label and was waiting for the package to enter the system. I had it in my HAND.... 2 scans one at local package facility on incoming and one at the destination post office.. I used to sweat usps tracking numbers, but not anymore.
Here's hoping you see it today!!!!! :banana:
 
Like Parky said, with USPS the chances are better that it will be delivered in one piece. But with that you sacrifice delivery time.

I have a cousin that works for FedEx in Denver that said they are told to unload the trucks as fast as they can regardless of how it gets done. And unfortunately for the packages it is easier to throw them then to set them down somewhere.

john
 
I had a preamp shipped from New Jersey to Maine a couple years ago. It took almost three weeks to arrive via USPS. I kept emailing the seller who claimed to have shipped it. I think the post office put it in a trailer for a couple of weeks and forgot about it. I was wild. But, on the bright side, It arrived in one piece.

Since that time, I am willing to take my chances with UPS or Fedex. At least they have a decent tracking system.

The Post Office doesn't really have a tracking system. They have a service called "Delivery Confirmation". :thumbsdn: It only lets you know that the package has been delivered. Hence the name "Delivery Confirmation". I even called my local post office and asked them. They told me that they don't offer tracking services. They are my last resort for shipping. And I prefer that people ship stuff to me via UPS or Fed-Ex and email me the tracking number. Hopefully the shipper is smart enough to pack the stuff accordingly.

Besides, If you check out shipping prices, After about 5lbs, or maybe a little more, it's actually cheaper to ship UPS or Fed-Ex. I don't think the post office likes to ship big or heavy items. I work in a shipping dept, so I know this for sure.

Be patient. Hopefully your receiver arrives today.

Paul
 
mg196 said:
Well, if it was dropped off at the Post Office late on the 18th, it went out on the 19th. 5 business days (the usual) would make TODAY your lucky day! It is probably sitting at your local depot waiting to be delivered.
Why would have not gone out the day it was dropped off? It was supposed to be 4 days. However, I didn't count the 18th. From the 19th to the 23rd is 5 days. My point was the package left Atlanta, 140 miles from me, on the 22nd. Don't you think it reasonable to have expected delivery on the 23rd? Pretty lousy service, when they can't even make 140 miles over night.
 
Well Mike, you are right, but...

For me, it all comes down to how the package is handled. Provided I am not under some deadline, if I have to wait an extra day or week...or even two weeks...and the item arrives in great condition, it doesn't realy matter to me. Sure, I would be a little irritated, but it's really no big thing.

Even though it may be 140 miles away, it might have to be unloaded and reloaded several times.
 
mg196 said:
Well Mike, you are right, but...

For me, it all comes down to how the package is handled. Provided I am not under some deadline, if I have to wait an extra day or week...or even two weeks...and the item arrives in great condition, it doesn't realy matter to me. Sure, I would be a little irritated, but it's really no big thing.

Even though it may be 140 miles away, it might have to be unloaded and reloaded several times.
I'm just spoiled because most carriers can be here overnight, with in 500 miles.
 
Last edited:
This is my latest tracking info

"Your item was misrouted. The error has been corrected and every effort is being made to deliver it as soon as possible. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later". :dammit:

The package was sent from Atlanta, to Knoxville Tennessee by mistake. :wtf:

Now the problem is, the more times the package is handled, the more chance you have of damage. :yikes:
 
Last edited:
Hmmm....Knoxville.....Trussville....2 "villes". Maybe they can't read. They are, after all, a branch of the federal government just like the TVA. Sorry Mike. USPS "lost" an eBay payment I sent for an amp last month. Cool seller agreed to give it a week or so before he would pull the auction from me. Surprise, surprise, I can see it there eyes they delivered my 1/2 ounce letter almost 3 weeks after I sent it from Hotlanta to Cali. I hope it arrives safely in your hands very soon.
 
Any significant document/check/ or cash by usps I send certified mail return recipt, the pain in the a** taking it to the p.o. and filling out the forms, is WAY offset by the peace of mind knowing that it got there and if there is a
problem, there can be he** to pay.
 
maildude1960 said:
Hey, we gotta get our breaks in!
Jeff,
Let me tell you what is so funny. When I email them the tracking # and ask why is was misrouted, they want to know the address of the shipper. I can't understand how knowing the shipper is going to tell why it was sent to knoxville. Go figger. :wtf:
 
My new avatar says it all. Disclaimer: I work in the maintenance department of the USPS, I have absolutely nothing to do with mail, unless of course it went through a machine I worked on.
 
The reason they wanted the address of the shipper is because sometimes the scanners will read the return address and send the package there. They were just trying to see what happened for diagnostic purposes.
 
maildude1960 said:
My new avatar says it all. Disclaimer: I work in the maintenance department of the USPS, I have absolutely nothing to do with mail, unless of course it went through a machine I worked on.
:lmao: :jawdrop:
 
maildude1960 said:
The reason they wanted the address of the shipper is because sometimes the scanners will read the return address and send the package there. They were just trying to see what happened for diagnostic purposes.
Now I'm being told they have no record of the package. Hmmmm, first they tell it was misrouted, and now they say they never had it. I guess I am their mercy.
It is for this very reason I prefer UPS.
 
Last edited:
I'm a 'mailhandler' in the Buffalo Post Office.
Mailhandlers move mail within a facility and also sort large parcels, mailbags and other containers using forklifts and towmotors and other powered equipment and we staff most automated sorting machines.
I witness first hand the treatment parcels get and I have a couple of recommendations:
1) use registered mail whenever possible. Cost is high, but registered mail is handled seperately from and unlike any other type of mailpiece. Traditionally, the registered mail departments are staffed by senior clerks who are likely to be more gentle with your parcel than any other service. Registered mail pieces are given their own container and are segregated from the rest of the mails and are constantly kept under lock and key, transferred hand to hand at all transfer points and constantly tracked within the system down to the names of each clerk who has touched it.
2) Double box. Peanuts are not recommended for the initial packaging of your delicate electronics. Seal the item against water damage by wrapping it in a large, thick trash bag then bubble wrap several layers and fit snugly into 1st box lined with styrofoam, 1/2 inch thick. Put a layer of about an inch to two inches of peanuts into the second box, set your package in it and completely pack with peanuts as tightly as possible to eliminate voids, forcing peanuts along sides and into corners. This acts as a shock absorber and helps to lessen the stress on the item should the parcel should be dropped.

So many people have blamed carriers for damages when in fact the damages can be traced to poor packaging and claims denied for that very reason. If your mailpiece is valuable, don't skimp on the shipping.

definition taken from the officail Postal guide to mail handling:
FRAG-ILE - from the latin frag or fragment: to break into a million pieces; and ile: with total malice or ill will.
 
Last edited:
BuckNaked said:
I'm a 'mailhandler' in the Buffalo Post Office.
Mailhandlers move mail within a facility and also sort large parcels, mailbags and other containers using forklifts and towmotors and other powered equipment and we staff most automated sorting machines.
I witness first hand the treatment parcels get and I have a couple of recommendations:
1) use registered mail whenever possible. Cost is high, but registered mail is handled seperately from and unlike any other type of mailpiece. Traditionally, the registered mail departments are staffed by senior clerks who are likely to be more gentle with your parcel than any other service. Registered mail pieces are given their own container and are segregated from the rest of the mails and are constantly kept under lock and key, transferred hand to hand at all transfer points and constantly tracked within the system down to the names of each clerk who has touched it.
2) Double box. Peanuts are not recommended for the initial packaging of your delicate electronics. Seal the item against water damage by wrapping it in a large, thick trash bag then bubble wrap several layers and fit snugly into 1st box lined with styrofoam, 1/2 inch thick. Put a layer of about an inch to two inches of peanuts into the second box, set your package in it and completely pack with peanuts as tightly as possible to eliminate voids, forcing peanuts along sides and into corners. This acts as a shock absorber and helps to lessen the stress on the item should the parcel should be dropped.

So many people have blamed carriers for damages when in fact the damages can be traced to poor packaging and claims denied for that very reason. If your mailpiece is valuable, don't skimp on the shipping.

definition taken from the officail Postal guide to mail handling:
FRAG-ILE - from the latin frag or fragment: to break into a million pieces; and ile: with total malice or ill will.
I know where you are coming from. I have worked for UPS for almost 29 years. My problem with the post office in this incident, is their complete lack of knowing why it happened. They cannot tell me where my package is. All they know is it was sent to Knoxville by mistake, on July 22nd, and now it has just disappeared. This is my last time to receive or send a large package through the USPS. It's UPS or FedEx from now on, or I will do with out.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom