ZeroG
Super Member
Moving this part of the discussion from Speakers.
I currently have a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2i and center channel 2.0i. The top end sounds a little too hot to me, a bit on the shrill side. Overall I find them fatiguing, and I would like to make them sound better. I haven't gotten rid of them yet because they are such an expensive speaker and I would prefer to make them work for me - somehow.
That said, in the same room I also have a pair of L110s and ADS L810s. To my ears the L810s sound the best, particularly on jazz. Rock sounds better on the JBLs. Home theater sounds better on the Veritas. Sorry, but that's what I hear.
Still, I would not get rid of the 2.3is so easily. In the demo rooms they sounded head and shoulders above the rest, with the exception of the 2.4i.
Seems that rock sounds best on the JBLs because JBL was the studio monitor of choice back in the day and most classic rock was mixed on JBL.
FWIW, Klipsch (which bought Energy parent company API) tech support tells me that even though new Veritas and other Energy-branded speakers are being built, that API actually went out of business and the older parts are no longer being produced. He said Klipsch bought the name and the old stock.
Not sure how accurate that is. My 2.1's were warranty upgraded by Energy (just pre-Klipsch) into a pair of 2.2is (thanks!) which were made in China. The drivers looked to be absolutely identical to the old, the difference being that the defective plastic clad boxes (which often peeled) were now gloss-painted MDF. I would guess that the Canadian plant's equipment went to China, where the current crop of Energy speakers are built.
But if you keep the Veritas, you might want to check with Energy for parts availability in the event you might need a tweeter/midrange module.
I still would not trade for the JBL but sell and convert to something else. OR if you did trade for the JBL the 250 (T/ Ti?) series (triangular) would be in a similar $$ class and would have that presence that only a large woofer gives.
I've done a slow path of upgrade since first buying the Energy's years ago. Went from a Denon 3803 to NAD 2600 outboard amps to a pair of Adcom 2535s to current rig which is B&K @ 200wpc across the front 3 channels. HT is via an Outlaw 990 and 2 channel preamp is via an Emotiva USP.
At this point significant cash for more expensive electronics would be a challenge.
That said, room acoustics might help, but don't know where to begin. Room is about 12 x 18, 8ft ceilings, carpeted.
Moving the Energys farther from the back wall did make a difference, but the room layout doesn't really allow them to sit in the middle of the room.
I currently have a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2i and center channel 2.0i. The top end sounds a little too hot to me, a bit on the shrill side. Overall I find them fatiguing, and I would like to make them sound better. I haven't gotten rid of them yet because they are such an expensive speaker and I would prefer to make them work for me - somehow.
That said, in the same room I also have a pair of L110s and ADS L810s. To my ears the L810s sound the best, particularly on jazz. Rock sounds better on the JBLs. Home theater sounds better on the Veritas. Sorry, but that's what I hear.
Still, I would not get rid of the 2.3is so easily. In the demo rooms they sounded head and shoulders above the rest, with the exception of the 2.4i.
Seems that rock sounds best on the JBLs because JBL was the studio monitor of choice back in the day and most classic rock was mixed on JBL.
FWIW, Klipsch (which bought Energy parent company API) tech support tells me that even though new Veritas and other Energy-branded speakers are being built, that API actually went out of business and the older parts are no longer being produced. He said Klipsch bought the name and the old stock.
Not sure how accurate that is. My 2.1's were warranty upgraded by Energy (just pre-Klipsch) into a pair of 2.2is (thanks!) which were made in China. The drivers looked to be absolutely identical to the old, the difference being that the defective plastic clad boxes (which often peeled) were now gloss-painted MDF. I would guess that the Canadian plant's equipment went to China, where the current crop of Energy speakers are built.
But if you keep the Veritas, you might want to check with Energy for parts availability in the event you might need a tweeter/midrange module.
I still would not trade for the JBL but sell and convert to something else. OR if you did trade for the JBL the 250 (T/ Ti?) series (triangular) would be in a similar $$ class and would have that presence that only a large woofer gives.
How are your room's acoustics? Any treatments?
I don't want to hijack the thread, but if you haven't looked into that then start there.
To keep it relevant I'll submit that before I treated my room I found the 100t3's to have a shrill top end and unpleasant midrange. After treatements they were surprisingly refined and accurate and much, much more enjoyable to listen to. I'll add that they had kind of fallen out of favor after I got my Vandersteen 2ci's and I pulled them out of rotation for quite some time. While the Vandersteens were in the game I did much of the acoustic treatments. After I got my tube amp I decided to give the high sensitivity JBL's another go. Man, what a sweet transformation the acoustic treatments and ST-70 amp made to the 100t3's.
I would also look elsewhere for upgrades. Not to the speakers but to what they're being fed. Two speakers of varying quality might sound the same on some gear. But at some point, the better speaker will leave the other behind when you get to a point where it can show improvements lost on the other one.
I've done a slow path of upgrade since first buying the Energy's years ago. Went from a Denon 3803 to NAD 2600 outboard amps to a pair of Adcom 2535s to current rig which is B&K @ 200wpc across the front 3 channels. HT is via an Outlaw 990 and 2 channel preamp is via an Emotiva USP.
At this point significant cash for more expensive electronics would be a challenge.
That said, room acoustics might help, but don't know where to begin. Room is about 12 x 18, 8ft ceilings, carpeted.
Moving the Energys farther from the back wall did make a difference, but the room layout doesn't really allow them to sit in the middle of the room.
Last edited: