• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zenith 12-A-56 "Baby Stratosphere" found for $100 (and McIntosh ML-1C's)

vinyldavid

Collectorius Giganticus
Subscriber
Yet another old radio comes to the VinylDavid household.

A week ago I got a McIntosh MAC-1700 receiver from a friend who got it at a garage sale for $25. It didn't work, but that's another story. I got it working.

Anyway, the same lady who had the McIntosh MAC-1700 wanted to sell two old radios. I told my friend I was interested, and to put us in touch.

About a week and a half goes by and I get a call. The lady wants us to visit her, but I don't get off work until 8:30pm. Surprisingly, that's not too late for her. I had no money on me, but went anyway. I live about 3 miles away, and could easily run home for funds if needed.

I went to her house with my friend. The first radio was a late twenties highboy (sort of) Fada that had been refinished recently, and she wanted $100 for it, but didn't want to sell it very much, and I really wasn't interested in it anyway. I like other styles.

Then we went to the basement. My mouth dropped in amazement.

There, in the basement, was something I've wanted since I was a little boy: a Zenith blackface upright radio. Immediately I offered $75 to her price of $100.

I immediately went over to inspect it, and found it to be a higher end one (but I did not know how high end yet). Inspection revealed the tuning knob was gone, the tuning barely moves the needle, and there's a hole in the woofer. That brings me to the next point. When I turned it around, I saw with surprise that it had a tweeter! Then, I counted the tubes. 12 of them. I told her I'd give her $100, but I had to go home first.

The cabinet has many issues, missing finish, a slightly broken torch, and some serious scratches around the bottom.

Before I went to get funds, I had to get it up the stairs. My friend has to wake up at 5am for work, and as such was exhausted, and is not very strong anyway. A test-lift revealed it was within my strength, but just barely. I lifted it up one stair at a time. This was to prove to the lady I wasn't just going to leave and then come back (if I just left, she would have been able to put it out at her garage sale the next day very easily).

By the time I got it up the long flight of stairs, I was exhausted. I drove home and got $200 cash.

I drove back and handed her $100. Then she tells me that another gentleman was very interested in the radio, but did not have the funds, said he'd go get them and never came back.

What was the other $100 for, you may ask?

Also in her guest bedroom were a pair of McIntosh ML-1C speakers needing to be refoamed. I waved a pair of fifties at her, and she accepted.

I carried everything out to my Buick Roadmaster Wagon, in which the radio actually fit sideways in the cargo area, making loading the speakers very easy. By this point, the lady and I had developed a friendship, and we started talking about things. She mentioned her computer being slow, and I jumped at the chance to try and help.

I downloaded CCleaner and ran the analysis on her computer. Lots of things to remove. So I started the removal and took my now utterly exhausted friend home. I went back and it was finished. So then I ran a defrag (which had never been done on a 7 year old computer running Windows XP, yikes!). That took forever. In the meantime, she showed me her family, and we talked. A very nice lady.

Anyway, once I got done, she opened up the internet. To my shock and horror she was still using IE6! But the performance increase was there. I immediately downloaded Firefox and moved her over to it. She was ecstatic! It went from one of the most sluggish systems I had ever encountered to something that was actually relatively quick, as quick as a 1.6gHz Celeron could be. It was nice bringing some happiness to a 76 year old grandmother's life, and contact with her kids and grandkids.

So when all this was done, I had worked an 8 hour shift on a loading dock, hoisted a Baby Stratosphere up a flight of stairs, and was faced with the task of where to put them. It was 11:45 at night.

My grandmother has let me use her basement as a storage unit for a few months. A few days ago, she fell and broke her femur (she’s going to be okay, but out of the house for 5 weeks). So I headed over to her house. I pulled everything out of the Roadmaster and into the living room. I debated where to put it, but eventually decided I should just get everything down the stairs.

The 12-A-56 went first, I got it down by gently rolling it end over end with lots of support from me along the way. The McIntosh speakers (at 65lbs each) were carried by hand. That took me out. Fortunately, I could go home and sleep.

Anyway, sorry this is rambling, I’ve got a nasty cold and my head isn’t thinking in a straight line.

Here’s a pic of the Zenith:
Zenith12-A-56.jpg


I'll start cleaning it up and making the tuning mechanism work. All the tubes are there. Shouldn't be too hard to electrically restore, I am more concerned about the cabinet.

Here are the McIntosh speakers:
mcintoshspeaks1.jpg

mcintoshspeaks2.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Great story David! I like it when an audio purchase goes beyond just an exchange of money and goods but you and the Granny made it one heck of a nice outcome.
FWIW, I stopped into a consignment shop, yesteday, and they had a Wards Airline on the floor. The tag on it said $1875.00 :yikes:
 
Ahh HATE Yew !...-Yosemite Sam, Esq.... Dah-Yum, Me Young Sonne, you are TOO lucky for words...Wish you were closer, we have a VERY good refinisher here that could make the cabinet on that Zenith look like it did in '36 or '37... VERY desirable radio...Looks like speakers need their Woogers Raccooned, but other than that...If there is a bakery nearby, I'd go & invest in an apple or cherry pie & take it to that nice old lady..I'd wager she'd light up like a Christmas tree, & would tell her old lady buddies about you, the Nice Young Man who took that old Junk off her hands..No tellin' what OTHER treasures you could score..Bein' nice to Little Old Ladies like that is ALWAYS a good thing, even if you don't immediately make a ginormous score. Its just sorta "Bankable" karma...Or as they used to say, "Adding Stars to your Crown".
 
Thanks guys! I was happy to help this lady...she wanted to pay me, but I refused. I'm actually looking into restoring her late twenties FADA KF for her, as she really likes that one. I'm not sure when it was last on, or what's wrong with it.

I found out that the Zenith is also missing the dial pointer, but they're available (along with the tuning knob set). I'm heading over to my grandmother's to find some stuff for her while she's in a nursing home recouperating, so I'll grab more detailed pictures of the radio that accurately show its condition.
 
Whats the Fada look like? I've got an oddball Fada in what looks like a strange cross between a desk and a highboy. Its got the legs of a highboy, but the actual radio cabinet part is short, and it has a door that flips open to reveal the front of the radio. I wonder if the one you're looking at isn't the same as the one I have. Mine has busted tuning condensor supports unfortunately, so I really can't do much with it.
 
The Fada looks like this:
euhYeWUwe14M5sV.jpg


Thanks, EJ :) I feel good about helping her out, she was ecstatic.

Here's more detailed pics of the condition of the Zenith...

zenith1.jpg

zenith2.jpg

zenith3.jpg

zenith4.jpg
 
Wow, uh, I hate you. :D That 12A58 is sweet, doesn't get much better than that for Zenith radios. Shouldn't take much to restore the cabinet, it's no worse than my 11S474. I used Howard's Restor A Finish and Feed N Wax on mine. The original finish is just gorgeous if you can get it polished up OK. The grill cloth is gonna be tough to source, yours has a beautiful pattern too.

Antique Radio Forums has loads of resources for restoring old Zeniths. That thing is gonna be awesome when you're done.
 
Well I had the woofers professionally refoamed and dropped them back into the speakers this afternoon.

They sound every excellent, musically coherent, and pleasant. Even without the EQ. I can't wait to try and recreate the curve.

Source amp was the Nakamichi Stasis SR-3A.

Unfortunately one of the supertweeters is dead. I'll pull the drivers next time I'm at my grandmother's place and check the connections.
 
Back
Top Bottom