• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Explorations for the Jazz Newbie - Via MOG

musichal

poet emeritus
This post now serves as thread key.


Recommended Recordings:


Stan Getz & João Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto - “The Girl from Ipanema” 4.5★

Duke Ellington - Never No Lament, The Blanton/Webster Band - “Take the ‘A’ Train” 4.5★

Bob James & David Sanborn - Double Vision - “Maputo” 4★

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - “Freddy Freeloader” 5★

The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Complete Last Concert - “Softly As in a Morning Sunrise” 4.5★

Dexter Gordon - Go - “Love For Sale” 4.5 ★

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus - "Moritat" 4.5★

Thelonious Monk Quartet & John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall - "Crepuscule with Nellie" 4.5★

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream - "Monk's Dream" 4.5★

Wes Montgomery - Movin': The Complete Verve Recordings - "Bumpin' On Sunset" 4★

Al Dimeola - Elegant Gypsy - "Elegant Gypsy Suite" 4.5★

George Benson - Breezin' - "This Masquerade" 3.5★

Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life - "Bright Size Life" 4★

Stan Getz & Lionel Hampton - Hamp & Getz - "Jumpin' At the Woodside" 4★

Count Basie - At Newport (Live) - "One O'Clock Jump" 4.5★

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' - "The Drum Thunder Suite" 4.5★

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme - "Part 2: Resolution" 4.5★

Dizzy Gillespie - A Night in Tunisia: Big Band Live 1957 - "Groovin' for Nate"

Clifford Brown - Brownie: The Complete EmArcy Recordings - "Joy Spring" 4.5★

Clifford Brown - Clifford Brown & Max Roach - "Daahoud" 4★

Charlie Parker - Jazz at Massey Hall - "A Night in Tunisia" 5★

Charlie Parker - The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes - "Tiny's Tempo" 3★

Return to Forever - The Mothership Returns - "Medieval Overture" 4★

Return to Forever - The Anthology (Remixed) (Remastered) - "Hymn of the 7th Galaxy" 3.5★

Weather Report - Heavy Weather - "Birdland" 4.5★

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire - "Birds of Fire" 4.5★

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss - "What's Going On/Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" 4★

Erroll Garner - Concert By The Sea - "I'll Remember April" 4.5★

Art Tatum - Piano Starts Here - "Tiger Rag" 4.5★

Herbie Hancock - The Best of Herbie Hancock - "Dolphin Dance" 3.5★

Charles Mingus - Ah Um - "Better Get It In Your Soul" 4.5★

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius - "Continuum" 4.5★

Ray Brown Trio - Souler Energy - "Cry Me a River" 3.5★

Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller & Victor Wooten (SMV) - Thunder - "Maestros de Las Frecuencias Bajas" 3.5★

Billie Holiday - The Complete Billie Holiday - "All of Me" 4.5★

Mel Tormé - & Friends: Live at Marty's - "Medley: Watch What Happens / Fly Me To the Moon / You & The Night & The Music / Shaking the Blues Away" 4.5★

Frank Sinatra - Best of the Best - "The Lady is a Tramp" 4.5★

Sarah Vaughan - With Clifford Brown - "Lullaby of Birdland" 4.5★

Tony Bennett - The Essential Tony Bennett - "Because of You" 4.5★

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella & Louis Forever - "It Ain't Necessarily So"

Billy Cobham - Spectrum - “Red Baron” 4.5★

Lester Young - Ken Burns Jazz Collection: Lester Young - "Honeysuckle Rose" 3.5★

Lester Young - Genius of the Tenor Sax, Disc 1 - "Another Mambo"

Coleman Hawkins - Hawk Eyes! - "Through for the Night" 3.5★

Louie Bellson - June 28, 1959 at the Flamingo Hotel - "Homer's Hang Up" 3★

Louie Bellson - I'm Shooting High - studio sessions of Flamingo Hotel songs

Buddy Rich - Swingin' New Big Band - "Up Tight (Everything's Alright)" 3.5★

Benny Goodman - 16 Most Requested Songs - "Let's Dance" 3.5★

Dave Brubeck - Time Out - "Take Five" 5★

Dave Brubeck - Brubeck and Desmond: 1975, The Duets - "Koto Song" 4★

Oscar Peterson - The Trio (Live) (Remastered) 1973 - "Blues Etude" 4.5★

Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert - The Köln Concert in four parts: "Ia, IIa, IIb, IIc" 4.5★

The Glenn Miller Orchestra - In the Digital Mood - "Chatanooga Choo Choo" 3★

Brian Setzer Orchestra - Vavoom! - "Pennsylvania 6-5000" 2.5★

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come - "Lonely Woman" 4.5★

Sidney Bechet - Petite Fleur - "Promenade aux Champs Elysées" 3.5★

Bill Evans - The Best of Bill Evans (Remastered) - "Woody 'N' You" 4★


Now Sharing MOG Playlists:

Jazzpieces I
Jazzpieces II
Jazzpieces III
Miles Coltrane


Find Other Suggested Recordings Here:

Spotlight on: Post #

Louie Bellson #32
Duke Ellington #41
Miles Davis #47
Return To Forever #59


This key for the thread will also be found at Post #44 for the convenience of potential users, if any. I will update both with additions and "Spotlight" locations.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
We see the question periodically, and the responses vary from the familiar to the esoteric. The focus here is intended to be slanted toward the former by providing an array of the best-known, best-loved jazz recordings, including various sub-genres such as fusion, freestyle, Dixieland, swing and smooth jazz, along with the ever-popular bebop style which tends to predominate. Comments disparaging disliked styles or musicians can be made elsewhere, but are uninvited here, where the listener is encouraged to audition and decide for himself.

These are presented in no particular order, so position in the list is virtually meaningless. The format will appear as Artist - Album - “Track” as specific tracks will be referred, though others may also be mentioned in the commentary.


Stan Getz & João Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto - “The Girl from Ipanema”

I didn’t hear this one until 1981 myself, eighteen years after its 1963 release, but it sounded as fresh to me then as it does today. Surely you’ve heard it by now, but for those few who haven’t, well, you’re in for a treat. Imagine you’re walking along a beachside boardwalk when you spot the sexiest, most beautiful woman you’ve ever seen headed your way, about to pass. Men tend to have specific images in mind and love the song; a woman tend to imagine it is her passing by that is under review here, and loves the song. Also sample the song “Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)” from the same album. For those who don’t know, Ipanema is a famous and popular beach in Rio de Janeiro; welcome to the bossa nova and enjoy the samba across a sandy floor.


Duke Ellington - Never No Lament, The Blanton/Webster Band - “Take the ‘A’ Train”

Recorded between 1939-42 by arguably Duke’s best band, this album is the third and best release by far of this particular material according to AMG notes.


Bob James & David Sanborn - Double Vision - “Maputo”

I really like David Sanborn just fine, but I love Bob James. Of course this 1986 recording was ubiquitous among audio shops for awhile after release. Bob James is the king arranger for my money; his name pops up often in film-work, too.


Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - “Freddy Freeloader”

A true classic, I could have done just as well had I chosen any one of the six tracks from this very-well-recorded 1959 release. A great record.


The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Complete Last Concert - “Softly As in a Morning Sunrise”

Milt Jackson on vibes, pianist John Lewis, bassist Percy Heath and drummer Connie Kaye had been playing together for more than twenty years when this album was recorded at The Lincoln Center, Avery Fisher Hall, in 1974. A relaxing quartet with amazing chops able to trade off licks back and forth with almost precognitive precision. Also, listen to their version of “Summertime” from the same album.


Dexter Gordon - Go - “Love For Sale”

Just a great recording and performance from 1962. Dynamics, bass, great piano sound and Dexter’s pure, sweet and perfect tenor sax tone result in a record where every track’s a winner - in fact, I could just as well have chosen the opening cut, “Cheese Cake,” and advised listening to all six tunes.

[EDIT: Was bumping up against the maximum character count in Post #1, so moved the initial comments originally found there here in the form of the quote above to make room for further updates in what I'm now calling the thread key.]

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus - "Moritat"

Moritat is better known as "Mack the Knife" with his pearly whites. Recorded very well in 1956, this widely-acclaimed classic is another of those pick-any-cut-you-can't-go-wrong album selections. Features Tommy Flanagan on piano, bassist Doug Watkins and the great Max Roach on drums. He also released another classic album the same year, "Tenor Madness," which is unfortunately not moggable. [Correction: Tenor Madness is available on MOG after all. Quickest way to it is search Tenor Madness and click the album heading. It is filed under Sonny Rollins Quartet, and is the only recording thus filed...the vagaries of MOG are inscrutable.]


Thelonious Monk Quartet & John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall - "Crepuscule with Nellie"

Okay, crepuscule means 'twilight, dusk' - just to clear that up. And, yes, yet qnother pick-any-tune classic. Very well recorded back in '57. Monk is the quintessential piano master/composer. Which suggests...


Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream - "Monk's Dream"

Yes, as with many others you see here, any cut'll do. Not surprising since we are in search of the most popular titles for the benefit of newbies. Warning: Monk is not usually the kind of player/composer who blows you away at first listen, but what he does tends to grow on you over time as you begin to see his perfection. Another very well-recorded selection, this one from '62.


And still much, much more to come…
 
Last edited:
Wes Montgomery - Movin': The Complete Verve Recordings - "Bumpin' On Sunset"

This huge compilation of 82 tracks may not make purists of his earlier releases happy, but it includes a range of styles such that even they will likely find something good. So whether you prefer his takes on some of the popular rock/pop songs of the time or whether you prefer a purer, straight-ahead jazz approach you will doubtless find something to like here - I found quite a bit from both camps. Compare the opening track, "Caravan" to "Going Out of My Head" to "Bumpin' on Sunset" to get the idea that there are probably more than two camps, anyway, for this compilation of the jazz guitarist.


Al Dimeola - Elegant Gypsy - "Elegant Gypsy Suite"

Or "Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway" from the same album should not be missed, either. Guitarist Dimeola's best, imo, and has stood the test of time quite well since its 1977 release. I first heard it at a friend's shortly after the release, and have never been without it since.


George Benson - Breezin' - "This Masquerade"

A triple platinum success from 1976, which crossed over to Pop and R&B with the cut recommended above. Good album, the cut "Breeain'" is a smooth jazz hit. Of course, he's another guitarist.


Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life - "Bright Size Life"

One of my favorite jazz guitarists, and my personal favorite album by him. I like all the tracks, but the one above and "Sirabhorn" would be my favorite two. Very laid-back; compositions by the then 21-year-old prodigy so impressive that Jaco Pastorious and Bob Moses found him worthy for providing their expertise on bass and drums for this kid.


And still much, much more to come…
 
Last edited:
Stan Getz & Lionel Hampton - Hamp & Getz - "Jumpin' At the Woodside"

Cool School tenor saxophonist Getz with Swing Stylist vibes-master Hampton and they said it shouldn't work, but somehow it does and this good recording from '55 makes the list. Their version of the popular "Cherokee" is worth a listen, too. I like them all.


Count Basie - At Newport (Live) - "One O'Clock Jump"

With Jimmy Rushing, Lester Young, Jo Jones, Illinois Jacquet and Roy Eldridge this live recording from '57 delivers bigtime. Any track, every track.


Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' - "The Drum Thunder Suite"

This excellent recording has it all - dynamics which some younger guys may not associate with recordings from '58, good tone, well-recorded bass and a great performance of some very interesting compositions. The drums do thunder in the suite. Don't miss "Moanin'" or "Come Rain or Come Shine," either.


John Coltrane - A Love Supreme - "Part 2: Resolution"

Really best when all four parts are listened to sequentially and entirely, but when I just want a sample of it I usually choose "Resolution," though I've noticed others do the same with "Part 1: Acknowledgment." Each of the four parts combine to make the Love Supreme Suite. A 1964 classic.


And still much, much more to come…
 
Last edited:
Dizzy Gillespie - A Night in Tunisia: Big Band Live 1957 - "Groovin' for Nate"

Good sound, a big swingin' band, what more you want? Just start with the first cut, as given above, and listen all the way through; ten cuts which pass by quickly. If you can't enjoy this then your zing has no swing, so move on to bebop, fusion, smooth or some other jazz genre.


Clifford Brown - Brownie: The Complete EmArcy Recordings - "Joy Spring"

Actually, you're on your own with this one...a ten-CD box set with 100+ songs listed under this one MOG title. Singers appear on some of the tracks - I particularly like Sarah Vaughn myself - with many instrumentals, too. Good clean recording for this great trumpeter; sample and find your favorites.


Charlie Parker - Jazz at Massey Hall - "A Night in Tunisia"

Charlie Parker - The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes - "Tiny's Tempo"

Some refer to this first listing as "The Greatest Concert Ever." It is a pretty good recording of a live Toronto concert from 1953. Have to admit that I'm glad that MOG also provides The Complete Savoy...Takes which include much of the Bird's best. Both these are great for pulling tracks to a jazz playlist.


And still much, much more to come…
 
Last edited:
OK, I've never done this, but I think you can share a MOG playlist. Might be worth putting your suggestions into a playlist on MOG, then someone can chime in on how to share it. I do see lots of playlists that I didn't create, so I assume other MOGgers did...
 
Return to Forever - The Mothership Returns - "Medieval Overture"

Return to Forever - The Anthology (Remixed) (Remastered) - "Hymn of the Galaxy"

The first recording above comes from a live Austin, TX, concert from 2011 and is just killer good in every respect...sound quality, performance, enthusiastic audience. Includes cuts from the best of the band's offerings. The Anthology album includes cuts from what are often deemed the band's four best albums: Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, Where Have I Known You Before, No Mystery and Romantic Warrior. In fact the first and last as listed are entire. I simply pulled Anthology to a playlist, then pulled in the missing cuts from the middle two albums, added Mothership Returns and have it all neatly in one long playlist. For those who just want a bit shorter, high quality representation of the band's output, Mothership Returns is a no-brainer. The best fusion my money can buy.


Weather Report - Heavy Weather - "Birdland"

Is there anyone unfamiliar with this record? If one happens by here - which almost seems unlikely to me, but there is that age thing in play here - it is past time to rectify that situation. A 1977 release that set the mark for commercial success of fusion, and which I and every other Tom, Dick and Harry almost played the grooves off the vinyl. Most striking to me was the sound of Pastorious' fretless bass.


Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire - "Birds of Fire"

Great fusion from 1972; some may find 71's Inner Mounting Flame preferable, but no problem as that's available, too. Check out cuts from both; I keep returning to Birds. If you like it even more avant garde, then John McLaughlin & Mahavishnu Orchestra's 1975 release, Inner Worlds, is right there, also.
 
OK, I've never done this, but I think you can share a MOG playlist. Might be worth putting your suggestions into a playlist on MOG, then someone can chime in on how to share it. I do see lots of playlists that I didn't create, so I assume other MOGgers did...

Yep, I knew and thought exactly as much about that as you tendered here. I do already have playlists ready, but clueless how to share and figure it may be a mobile device kinda thing, which I don't have, nor do I pay the extra to support it, obviously. :)
 
***

Just a quick note to say thanks for posting this..
I've got it saved as a reference - this is exactly what I've been searching for.

On a sort of unrelated side note - I picked up an old Nat King Cole album at the
thrift store the other day. The wife and I just love it and wish there was a
list like this for that sort of music... I don't even know what you call it
"crooner/easy listening" ?? I tried using Nat King Cole as a "Radio" on MOG, but
that got me mostly Christmas Music ...

thanks again!

***
 
I don't use MOG so I am out of the running here. I would like to say it's a nice idea but I am not sure if 10 CD discography's belong in a list for newbies. Generally speaking the purpose of a collection like this is so the listener can hear the artist's growth chronologically, over the course of their recorded output.

Since I don't know what's available on MOG, I can't make any suggestions.
 
I don't use MOG so I am out of the running here. I would like to say it's a nice idea but I am not sure if 10 CD discography's belong in a list for newbies. Generally speaking the purpose of a collection like this is so the listener can hear the artist's growth chronologically, over the course of their recorded output.

Since I don't know what's available on MOG, I can't make any suggestions.

Well if nothing else - I could just select it and let it play in the background while doing something else.
I call this the "seep in" method ... often I find things I end up liking this way... I'm thinking that after an
hour or so I can pretty much judge if it's a hit or miss for my tastes.

I believe Mog is free or at least has a free trial - and if you pay they have a $5/month option
 
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss - "What's Going On/Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)"

If you like this cut, then you'll want to hear more on this, and other, of Kirk's albums. He's perhaps a bit of an acquired taste, and certainly approached music in his own way, as this brief Wiki excerpt reveals: "Kirk played and collected a number of musical instruments, mainly various saxophones, clarinets and flutes. His main instruments were tenor saxophone and two obscure saxophones: the stritch (a straight alto sax lacking the instrument's characteristic upturned bell) and a manzello (a modified saxello soprano sax, with a larger, upturned bell). Kirk modified these instruments himself to accommodate his simultaneous playing technique. He typically appeared on stage with all three horns hanging around his neck, as well as a variety of other instruments, including flutes and whistles, and often kept a gong within reach." His "Sweet Georgia Brown" track from The Return of the 5000 Pound Man album is worth sampling also.


I don't use MOG so I am out of the running here. I would like to say it's a nice idea but I am not sure if 10 CD discography's belong in a list for newbies. Generally speaking the purpose of a collection like this is so the listener can hear the artist's growth chronologically, over the course of their recorded output.

Since I don't know what's available on MOG, I can't make any suggestions.

I agree that is a fair enough criticism for the Clifford Brown I chose to include, and I almost didn't...just couldn't find another I liked nearly as well...ignore, sample it, do with it what you will.
 
Last edited:
Erroll Garner - Concert By The Sea - "I'll Remember April"

No list could be complete without this concert from 1955 recorded live using a fairly primitive tape machine which a fan had brought along - there was no official plan to record much less to release this as an album. Marred by poor acoustics, a slightly out of tune piano and the subdued bass and drum level due to inadequate equipment and recording technique, yet it somehow sounds beautiful, and has become a jazz classic that many consider Garner's finest hour.


Art Tatum - Piano Starts Here - "Tiger Rag"

The first few cuts on this album represent Tatum's first studio session as leader, while the rest are from a 1949 concert. Known for his speed and dexterity, which are in evidence especially on the live tracks, such as "I Know That You Know" and "Tatum Pole Boogie."


Herbie Hancock - The Best of Herbie Hancock - "Dolphin Dance"

This is a good selection for newbies as it is garnered from five Blue Note albums originally released between '62 and '68, providing several of his best-known and -loved compositions.
 
Charles Mingus - Ah Um - "Better Get It In Your Soul"

Great sound, great tunes by the bassist/composer on this 1959 recording. The initial track as recommended is immediately followed by the Lester Young tribute "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" which also should be heard.


Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius - "Continuum"

I love this album. Jaco was only 24 when this was released in '76, begins with his transcription for fretless electric bass of the jazz standard "Donna Lee" followed by "Come On, Come Over" which includes vocals by R&B's Sam & Dave, and keeps changing as the album proceeds showcasing not only Jaco's truly remarkable bass technique, but also his compositional chops. Too good to miss.


Ray Brown Trio - Souler Energy - "Cry Me a River"

A 1984 release by this bassist may seem an odd choice for somebody who began playing with Dizzy Gillespie in '46, but OTOH he already appears with various others in this list under those titles...and this is a very good record, too. Several well-known tunes are included; best bet is listen to all eight.


Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller & Victor Wooten (SMV) - Thunder - "Maestros de Las Frecuencias Bajas"

Can three bassists play together on the same tracks and it not sound an unholy muddle? Not yes, but hell yes! answers this 2008 album. However, I would certainly be remiss if I failed to mention Stanley Clark's 1976 School Days album as another must-hear, too.
 
I agree that is a fair enough criticism for the Clifford Brown I chose to include, and I almost didn't...just couldn't find another I liked nearly as well...ignore, sample it, do with it what you will.

Yes, I really don't want to come off smug or critical. I think you are doing a huge service here. Simply thinking of the newbie is all. Many have short attention spans after being beaten down with conventional rock and pop for all of their listening life. Short 'n ' sweet - catchier the better when possible would probably be a good approach perhaps until they are further into your list.

Roach and Brown?? Short of "More Study in Brown", they are damn near all classics.
 
Billie Holiday - The Complete Billie Holiday - "All of Me"

Finding a Billie Holiday recording with all one's favorites is not possible, as far as I can tell. This one is good, including a healthy batch of 35 songs. Yes, I could list as many of the big ones missing as I could those present, but that should be expected. At least this set is not marred by annoying repeats in the form of alternate takes plus session plus live versions of the same songs. A playlist pulled from the large number of MOG albums available by this artist would be the best answer to get all the songs desired, but you'll tend not to notice that so much when you just play this recording, enjoying what is there.


Mel Tormé - & Friends: Live at Marty's - "Medley: Watch What Happens / Fly Me To the Moon / You & The Night & The Music / Shaking the Blues Away"

A nice accessible album for the newbie, this 1981 recording finds Mel in fine voice with a good mix of older and newer tunes. Remains my favorite Mel.


Frank Sinatra - Best of the Best - "The Lady is a Tramp"

Includes big hits from both Reprise and Capitol labels - I had to buy compilations from both on vinyl to get what I wanted. With 23 tracks, I'd still supplement it with other recordings, but for the newbie who wants a collection of Frank's best, this is a great place to begin.


Sarah Vaughan - With Clifford Brown - "Lullaby of Birdland"

Finding an all-you-want Sarah Vaughan recording just doesn't happen, period - at least not for me. This recording with just ten songs (including one repeat - argh!) is a very well-recorded and -performed intro. Do yourself a favor and also mog up Barry Manilow's 2:00 AM Paradise Café album and listen to their duet, "Blue."


Tony Bennett - The Essential Tony Bennett - "Because of You"

I expect comments that some of these singers don't belong under a jazz heading; some will agree, some won't. Let each newbie decide for himself. This 39-song offering provides much of the singer's best.


Ella Fitzgerald - Ella & Louis Forever - "It Ain't Necessarily So"

44 songs doesn't seem excessive to me given the two artists, and it's better than the ubiquitous 1956 "Ella & Louis" release. The track "Stompin' At the Savoy" is killer good.
 
Back
Top Bottom