• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha RX-V1500 + Pioneer S-910/710...

Copa1934

My ears are bleeding
is magical? I can't tell you how many combinations of speakers I've run. Some just to experiment, some because I thought they would be good. Mixed results of course.

Biggest issue I've run into is bass response. Most were adequate, but with full tilt action movies most also bottomed out or tried to go beyond full excursion. The noise is quite obvious and scares the crap out of a person, mostly hoping that the speaker hasn't been permanently damaged.

The speakers I've had the best luck with were acoustic suspension. Now, I should qualify this statement. I don't like running subs. I've never cared for the delicate balancing act, setting the crossover correctly and volume correctly. Then there's position so the "sensation" isn't localized or at a particular position. Acoustic suspension has a more limiting affect on excursion, that is naturally occurring. Bass reflex (ported) have no limitations and can more easily be pushed past their design limitations.

Anyone familiar with the Pioneer "S" line know these are nice speakers. Not audiophile, but certainly not something one would normally hook up to HT systems. But recently I acquired a pair of DSS9 (further up the food chain) and have those in the man cave now, supplanting the "S" speakers. I thought "self" why not take speakers with closely matching timbre and general sonic quality and connect to the home theater system. And I did.

Now, anyone who knows the later HPM series and the "S" series and the DSS line of speakers know they have Poly Graphite cones. Brittle buggers. Not something you want to push your luck with.

So, last night watched "Transformers". Kept the lid on the volume just to play it safe. So far these are tops. Subs? When you have 12" woofers in all four corners, you don't need subs. when you have speakers that utilize the same (mids) and similar tweeters, the timbre is so close you'd need to A/B the speakers with all kinds of material to detect the sonic differences.

What this all adds up to is a very seamless surround presentation. You almost don't need the "side" speakers to fill the front to rear sound effects.

I'll obviously be putting these thru more over time since these are likely to remain in place indefinitely. In spite of playing it safe and keeping a lid on the volume I was not at all disappointed with the bass performance.

It's hard to go wrong with HT when a system is setup correctly, even with different models or even brands of speakers. But when the speakers are the same make and same lineage, that goes a long way to really upping the experience.

All in all a very excellent experience. Looking forward to more action movies.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a pair of S910's in my basement that I basically use as subwoofers. I have an 80-Hz passive speaker-level low pass filter and an l-pad in-line with them. They provide a bit of low frequency support for my B&W DM-16's. They also physically support my 55" TV which sits atop them. Works great!
 
I have a pair of S910's in my basement that I basically use as subwoofers. I have an 80-Hz passive speaker-level low pass filter and an l-pad in-line with them. They provide a bit of low frequency support for my B&W DM-16's. They also physically support my 55" TV which sits atop them. Works great!
Cool.
 
Next up: Jurassic Park

So, got a little more generous with the volume last night. The first movie, I don't think, has as much in the way of serious deep bass. Certainly it was very good, especially with the mids and highs. One thing that was difficult for many of the speakers was the screeching sounds of some of the dinosaurs. With these speakers it was not ear splitting or distorted. More like in your face realism.

Too often speakers will distort and this completely detracts from the experience. One other thing I noticed is a more balanced sound, kind of like when talking about sound stage with music. You either expect certain sounds to be in certain positions or neutral, in a manner of speaking. With this movie sounds weren't static, so to speak. If there was panning, the sound followed suit. When movement transitioned front to back, the speakers did a splendid job, not leaving "gaps" due to the dead space between front and rear speakers.

Some might describe as being "airy", but I would say it's more a case of not having obvious holes, where anticipated sounds aren't where they should be.

It's nice to crank up, with more to spare, and not deal with muddied or distorted sounds due to drivers breaking up at the higher volumes.

Tonight I'm planning on "U-571". The opening scene with the depth charges will be a genuine test for the speakers. Especially since this movie is in DTS, and I love DTS.
 
I have a pair of S910's in my basement that I basically use as subwoofers. I have an 80-Hz passive speaker-level low pass filter and an l-pad in-line with them. They provide a bit of low frequency support for my B&W DM-16's. They also physically support my 55" TV which sits atop them. Works great!

Nice speakers ;)
 
I ran s-710's for the rears to DSS-9's in the front for a minute.
Wasn't horrible, but they weren't a very good timbre match - I ended up swapping Bose 201's out for the S's, which actually, surprisingly, made a pretty decent match.

I know the S-710 cabs were definitely not beefy enough... although those aren't all that beefy of drivers either.

I actually made a DSS-9 center channel when I acquired a second pair of DSS-9's.
Took a mid an tweet and put them on the face, with a DSS-E6 woofer firing up. Was a pretty sweet setup, but then I took the DSS's out of HT duty and made them dedicated music, and put Infinity IL60's /36c center in their place.
 
I ran s-710's for the rears to DSS-9's in the front for a minute.
Wasn't horrible, but they weren't a very good timbre match - I ended up swapping Bose 201's out for the S's, which actually, surprisingly, made a pretty decent match.

I know the S-710 cabs were definitely not beefy enough... although those aren't all that beefy of drivers either.

I actually made a DSS-9 center channel when I acquired a second pair of DSS-9's.
Took a mid an tweet and put them on the face, with a DSS-E6 woofer firing up. Was a pretty sweet setup, but then I took the DSS's out of HT duty and made them dedicated music, and put Infinity IL60's /36c center in their place.
That's some experimentation going on. DSS9 cannibal? Yikes.
 
Movie: U-571

Anyone who has watched this knows this a true punishment for speakers. With depth charging going on, and some almost constant, this movie really tells all about bottom end.

I ran the volume up, yet higher, and holy crap! First thing that became obvious was the floor vibrating. This was more apparent with scenes in the water and with distant depth charge explosions. Feeling those distant charges was impressive.

But what is HT if there isn't a seamless feel "around" you? There are scenes that really standout. One where the soldiers are grouped together and preparing for the "boarding" of the Nazi sub. While there loading you hear the sounds 360 degrees. But NOT in an artificial sense, it was very real sounding. One area that is really a challenge is metal ringing. You know that sound when metal is struck. But in the sub that sound is going to travel, and with these speakers you totally get that sense.

Gun fire, explosions, all have a realism I'd expect. I've been around a variety of weapons (handguns, rifles, automatic, shotgun, etc.), and I've also been around a 105 during a graduation ceremony at 29 stumps. Those sounds, to me, were very well duplicated.

I have more movies to check out, but one I'm thinking will be quite entertaining will be "The Matrix". Particularly the scene where they go to rescue Morpheous.

I am so happy with this setup so far.

Will keep ya'll posted.
 
That's some experimentation going on. DSS9 cannibal? Yikes.

Well, when you come up with an extra midrange, tweeter, woofer, and crossover, and have 4 channels surrounding you, it's the logical thing to do? ;)

Even had the L pads installed and butchered a grill by cutting out the middle, then gluing it back together. I made the enclosure face the same profile and everything. Wish I'd taken a picture of it.
 
Now be brave and add in a decent subwoofer or 2 for HT use. Set the crossover to 50-60 Hz to protect your mains and let it rip. As you already know, some of the movie LFE tracks have significant content below 30 Hz so consider the sub as protection for your beloved vintage speakers. I believe the Yamaha is one button push away from bypassing the sub and running the mains full range if desired for music.
 
Now be brave and add in a decent subwoofer or 2 for HT use. Set the crossover to 50-60 Hz to protect your mains and let it rip. As you already know, some of the movie LFE tracks have significant content below 30 Hz so consider the sub as protection for your beloved vintage speakers. I believe the Yamaha is one button push away from bypassing the sub and running the mains full range if desired for music.
I've tried subs in the past and didn't like them. I don't have the time or patience to "dial" them in. My current system works so well now and I don't feel at all like I'm missing something in the bottom end. I have no desire, now, to search out a better HT solution. This is working out quite well.

I love the tonal balance so much with this system. Been really enjoying everything we've watched so far. I need to watch some music video's next. I've often been let down with other speaker systems, but music video's are a very different breed of listening experience. Some are engineered such that my system works as-is, but then others I have to futz with settings (rock, music, jazz, etc.) in order to find a "setting" that works best for the performance. I thought, at first, it was totally a shortcoming of the speakers, but realize that isn't entirely the case.

Appreciate the advice, but I'm not "wanting for not". For once I don't feel like I'm missing anything, even at low volume listening.

Thanks for the input.
 
I have used almost your exact setup.:)
DSS-9s in the front,S910 sides and S710 rears.(center was whatever I could EQ close enough)
A decent sub for the center everything else set fullrange.Scary good.:)

Those woofers may be brittle to handle but playing them at loud but reasonable levels wont hurt them.

I only disagree with one thing you said...all of them are audiophile quality.Maybe only the lowest tier for the wealthy but without a LOT of cash you are not going to beat them.
The S series are the cheapest speakers I have heard yet that I felt truly qualified as audiophile. :)
 
I have used almost your exact setup.:)
DSS-9s in the front,S910 sides and S710 rears.(center was whatever I could EQ close enough)
A decent sub for the center everything else set fullrange.Scary good.:)

Those woofers may be brittle to handle but playing them at loud but reasonable levels wont hurt them.

I only disagree with one thing you said...all of them are audiophile quality.Maybe only the lowest tier for the wealthy but without a LOT of cash you are not going to beat them.
The S series are the cheapest speakers I have heard yet that I felt truly qualified as audiophile. :)
Audiophile? :) Glad you feel that way as I'm inclined to agree.

To me one of the most important characters of a speaker system is it's ability to remain balanced regardless of loudness or type of music. All three, you mention, are very well behaved (the DSS9 especially so).

I now know that feeling when you can part with just about everything else, having found speakers that do what you need.

It's special when you don't feel you have to keep searching. I watched "Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense" last night and enjoyed it immensely. More than I ever had.
 
Back
Top Bottom