• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A Pic of Audio Nirvana Super 12 in Lovecraft Designs Cabinets

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
Well I just finished wiring them up early this afternoon. Got them in place and breaking in. I used cryro treated magne wire, but that may be changed eventually. Thank goodness I have big holes to work with, makes running wire a breeze.

Don't mind the mess, thats a stray piece of sandpaper, a derelict Squeezebox, and who knows what else.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Register to hide this ad
Very nice, can't wait for you're listening impressions.

Any more info on the cabinet design? Is it a big ported enclosure or is there more going on inside there.
 
i was wondering the same thing. that is one friggin big full ranger isn't it? and the port!! holy crap!
 
Yup A Bile Ole Ported Box

ejfud said:
Very nice, can't wait for you're listening impressions.

Any more info on the cabinet design? Is it a big ported enclosure or is there more going on inside there.


Its just a ported enclosure. Nothing complicated. Made of Birch ply, with the bottom rabbitted in. Also a window brace 1/2 way up that has been rabbitted in.

Back,sides, top & bottom have 1/2" poly sheet for dampening. Wire is cryro magnet wire. Cardas binding posts, and silver solder. Works on the KISS principle. And lots of surface area.

Has typical Audio Nirvana voicing, which I like. Sounds similar to the Super 8's I listened to at the end of last year. Just lots more bass and dynamics. Actually, it's alot more bass than I am used to as I have been listening to some BLH 5" Fostexs. Some bass traps may be necessary.

Regards,
Mister Pig
 
JVC Makes A Nice Transport

jlindsey86 said:
Nice looking speakers. How do you like that JVC Digifine cd player?


Use the JVC XL-Z1050 TN as a transport for the Audio Magic Kukama DAC. With a Audio Magic Illusions 4D digital cable.

The JVC makes a nice transport. It's detailed, with nice layering, and not a bit of digititis that affected early 90's units. Course this one sold for 800 clams then. As a stand alone player, not as impressive. Sound is vague, a bit grainy, and nothing to get that excited about. I didn't listen a long time, couldnt do it, maybe it would get better as it played. I bought it from the original owner, who also used it as a transport. It's in beautiful shape, the only flaw is a bit of wear on the silkscreen of the stop/pause button. Otherwise in excellent shape. Tracks wel, even plays CDR's.

Biught it for $150, so it one of the neat pieces of my system.

Regards,
Mister Pig
 
Mister Pig said:
Has typical Audio Nirvana voicing...
Can you elaborate on that? I've been intrigued by those drivers in the past, but never pulled the trigger. How would you describe the sound?
 
Still Working Out Details

Redboy said:
Can you elaborate on that? I've been intrigued by those drivers in the past, but never pulled the trigger. How would you describe the sound?


I have been working on finding the correct amount of dampening for it. i haven't been able to get the bass quite right.

I added what was left of my original dampening suppy last night, and still heard improvements. I was suprised to hear the midrange get better. It is almost holopgraphic....yeah I know everyone says that....but in this case it's true. Good tonal balance and soundstage. If I can just get the bass to be a bit more defined I would say they are outstanding. I am sure the bass will improve with more dampening material. Also have some Audio Magic silver ribbon cabling to install as internal wiring. I have high hopes for the sound with their addition.

Actually, I think the Audio Nirvana drivers are a great product. One of the better full rangers I have heard.

Regards,
Mister Pig
 
Nope

Proconsul said:
Is this speaker similar to the Hammer Dynamics product?

Not really related at all. I believe the Hammer driver is some sort of Emminence. The Audio Nirvana is a proprietary design.

The Hammer is designed to emmulate the Quad 57.

The AN 8 began as an answer to a discontinued Fostex speaker.

So they are two different animals. I have heard the Hammer awhile back, from my recollection it didnt sound like the AN offering.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Mister Pig said:
Not really related at all. I believe the Hammer driver is some sort of Emminence. The Audio Nirvana is a proprietary design.

Just a minor nit to pick, but about 95% of what Eminence does are proprietary designs. They make drivers to the specification of the customer and all OEM designs are specific to that customer only, hence proprietary.

I wasn't there when the Hammer Dynamics came about but if he was buying it from Eminence direct then it is a proprietary design.

Ray
 
Back
Top Bottom