• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting find. Technics SA-423

alexkerhead

To High For Infinity
A few days ago I was looking on eBay(like usual) for something unique or nice to buy, and I ran across a Technics SA-423. I have never read anything nor could fine anything on this unit. So, in the same fashion I buy stuff in I bought it, because the condition was so nice and the price was right.
I do not think it is the same series as the sa-450, because this one is built well and has a wood case.

It consumes 290watts, so I am assuming in the neighborhood of 45wpc or so, but it sure seems like it can out much more, as it will crank my insignias almost as loud as the Yamaha cr-1040. The sound quality is comparable to my Yamaha R-900 on first impressions.

The most interesting thing is the power packs say "new class A" but I doubt they are class A, but the build quality is above average for early 80s "low powered" receivers.

The analog tuning dial moves with the digital tuning, and quartz locked, the tuner is quite sensitive as well.

Anyway, I took some pictures, so there will now be a record of this receiver on AudioKarma. :)

Here are the pictures.
 

Attachments

  • technics_sa423_ext2.jpg
    technics_sa423_ext2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 283
  • technics_sa423_ext3.jpg
    technics_sa423_ext3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 163
  • technics_sa423_ext4.jpg
    technics_sa423_ext4.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 136
  • technics_sa423_int1.jpg
    technics_sa423_int1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 194
  • technics_sa423_int2.jpg
    technics_sa423_int2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 187
Register to hide this ad
There is no listing for that model in my 1997 Orion.
The SA-410 was 1982-84 and 45 wpc, $300.
The SA-424 was 1982-84 and 45 wpc, $435.
 
I have one of these SA-423 receivers in my collection. Even though it is not particularly valuable, I consider it my most rare receiver as I have only seen maybe one other in eBay (two, including the one Alex got). Alex, you did well to snap it up. A few bits and pieces:

The SA-423 was (apparently) produced during the same time as the SA-222, 323, 424, 626, etc, series, and is functionally identical to the common SA-424. However, the 424 employs a pair of STK-8040 power packs and consumes 260w, while the SA-423 uses a pair of STK-8051 packs (also labeled "New Class A") and consumes 290w. I'm guessing it's 50 watts per channel, compared to the 45 output by the SA-424.

Another slight difference is that the SA-423 has a white quartz digital readout, while the others of the series are blue.

But wait - the plot thickens. Slightly more common than the SA-423 (but still very uncommon) is the SA-425, which I believe is the same unit as the SA-424 except for black trim and dark (cherry?) vinyl cabinet. I don't own an SA-425, but I do have an SA-225, technically identical to the SA-222, but trimmed exactly like the 425. I've attached a photo. I really like the looks of the SA-x25 series (better than their common brethren), but prefer the appearance of the SA-423 over any of them.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to discuss one of my favorite early digital receiver series!
 

Attachments

  • Technics.JPG
    Technics.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 195
Thanks Bully.


markallen said:
I have one of these SA-423 receivers in my collection. Even though it is not particularly valuable, I consider it my most rare receiver as I have only seen maybe one other in eBay (two, including the one Alex got). Alex, you did well to snap it up. A few bits and pieces:

The SA-423 was (apparently) produced during the same time as the SA-222, 323, 424, 626, etc, series, and is functionally identical to the common SA-424. However, the 424 employs a pair of STK-8040 power packs and consumes 260w, while the SA-423 uses a pair of STK-8051 packs (also labeled "New Class A") and consumes 290w. I'm guessing it's 50 watts per channel, compared to the 45 output by the SA-424.

Another slight difference is that the SA-423 has a white quartz digital readout, while the others of the series are blue.

But wait - the plot thickens. Slightly more common than the SA-423 (but still very uncommon) is the SA-425, which I believe is the same unit as the SA-424 except for black trim and dark (cherry?) vinyl cabinet. I don't own an SA-425, but I do have an SA-225, technically identical to the SA-222, but trimmed exactly like the 425. I've attached a photo. I really like the looks of the SA-x25 series (better than their common brethren), but prefer the appearance of the SA-423 over any of them.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to discuss one of my favorite early digital receiver series!

Thank you Mark!

I guess we are in a very elite club..lol

I see yours has the analog dial lit up a lot brighter than mine, so I need to replace the lamp in mine. :)

A very unique and wonderful specimen of early digital goodness. :)

Thanks for sharing your story. :)
 
alexkerhead said:
I guess we are in a very elite club..lol

Yes, if you consider the Rodney Dangerfield of vintage audio elite!;)

I don't care if some AKers aren't crazy about Technics, I still like them alot.

alexkerhead said:
I see yours has the analog dial lit up a lot brighter than mine, so I need to replace the lamp in mine.

Should be easy to find, simple to access, piece 'o cake.
 
As my mom used to say, "you laid the egg, now hatch it".

To what are you referring here? Enquiring minds want to know.

Hang on, let me take some photos of it.

Tuning_Display_1.jpg


Tuning_Display_2.jpg
 
Yep, that's a Technics analog tuning display. I know they were trying for the crossover from analog to digital, but I've always felt it was kind of a novelty - too small to read to be of any more use than a relative position (on the dial) indicator.
 
It definitely struck me as different. I found it in a bin of parts I got for free at a hamfest. I'm wondering if I can use it for anything? :scratch2:
 
.HI guys!! have a
Technics Stereo Receiver SA-423 with a burned STK-8051. Do you know here i can find one of these? I´m from Portugal, and searching in the web , this is all find about it!! Thanks
 
I just purchased an SA-425 don't know much about this unit yet but no output or relay click but powers up...Hmmm?? hope I can fix it. I am very familiar with the SA series 500, 404, ect but this is unfamiliar territory. I was also able to pick up an SA-616 which works and will be restored. Not sure of the build quality but looks pretty good (SA-616) I see the SA 425 still has the cardboard bottom vs steel (a Technic's patent ha ha) Yes the SA-425 has a very unique interesting tuner contraption. It reminds me of the Mitsubishi Da R10 series. I hope the class A power packs on the SA-425 are ok because they look rare and hard to find?
 
I repaired a New Class A Technic's for my son. I was pleasantly suprised by the sound. Try googling new class A for an explanation. It's an interesting design.
 
The transformer looks larger on the SA-423 compared to the SA-424 and there is an additional heat sink above the STK packs. Otherwise, it looks almost identical inside.
 
Back
Top Bottom