• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery speakers - need help filling in the blanks

kbott

Addicted Member
I picked these up the other day The cabinets were in good shape and when I opened them up the drivers were Whitely elctric radio mfg in england 1964. I haven't had a chance the hook them up yet. Anyone have any other info they can share. Tweeters are 16 ohm, nothing on the woofer aside from a WRC stamp with the mfg date of Jun 1964

also any opinions on if it would help to plug all the holes or let them be

whitely0001medium.jpg


miniwhitely004ky6.jpg


miniwhitely007vb2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
RAudio
A manufacturer of high end loudspeakers based in Hong Kong. Official homepage.
Whitley Limited, Unit 149, New Capital Computer Plaza, 85 - 95 Un Chau Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
Phone : +(852) 27620590. Fax : (852) 27486217. Email : raymond at raudio.com">

This seems to be all that's left of the original business in the UK.

Paul
 
Data from the late 50's shows that Whiteley Stentorian were often full range drivers,like HF610,HF810,HF912,HF1012,HF1214 and so on.The first number(s)indicating size in inches.Freq range often up to 12-14000.Can be found in 3 or 15 ohms var.HF1514 was a pure woofer.The 10-incher has a res freq of 35-39Hz.There were also two "duplex"models.The bronzecolor was typical of these years.It is possible that you have a little later versions.
There were two tweeters,the T10 and the T12.The later a higher power and much more expensive.T10 was a 5W,15 or 30 ohms,2000-14000.
Two crossover filters were also made-1500 or 3000 Hz.
When it comes to the holes,they might be some form of DP-distributed port-but with the holes on the front,and not on the back as is usual.
If I were to stumble on a pair like these classics,I would certainly keep them!Not for the sound,but for the vintage!And I wouldn't plug the holes,but use them and be happy.You don't buy a 1958 VW for it's power,do you?You drive it because it's fun!
 
Whitely Stentorian speaker drivers do have an interested collector following in England on ebay, but usually it is single drivers and rarely a complete system like these. The woofer cones were often very unique looking as the surround material often covered the entire paper cone surface except for maybe some symmetrical holes cut out before application to the cone. I'm sure there are British collectors who would love to acquire these speakers, but the cost of shipping those heavy cabinets would be prohibitive.
 
thanks for the responses. At first I thought they might be Fishers as I have a pair of XP-4's that have the exact same grill cloth. They met my impulse buy critereia. nice wood veener cabinets in good shape and a good weight o them. The cabinets are more furniture pieces. I still haven't hooked them up as I'm in the middle of moving a whole buch of gear over to my girlfriends
 
I was able to give these a long listen yesterday and hopefuly today at the garage sale my girlfriend and I are holding. Granted a garage is not the best listening environment but these speakers ahve a very nice sound to them They dont have the deepest low end thump but what's there is very clear and the high is very balanced.

They held up there own against all the others I had out and were once I kept switching back too :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom