• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are Onkyo e-154a and Toshiba ss-51 the same speaker?

tattoos

New Member
Are my Toshiba's re-labeled Onkyo's?

Did Onkyo ever label any of there speakers as Toshiba or visa versa?
After a long time searching for information on my Toshiba ss-51 speakers with very few results, I am now nearly convinced that my Toshiba ss-51 speakers are actually re-labeled Onkyo e-154a, Although I still need some conformation of this.

After getting a reply email back from a helpful person at Toshiba in Japan in 2001 saying That the only information they could find was on a piece of microfiche film dated 1972, which they had printed out and were posting me via "snail mail".
The information contained on the microfiche film was detailed service data for the ss-51 and ss-41. A copy can be found here http://www.jameswatt.org/ss51.html

Recently I was pointed to http://www.audio-heritage.jp which is a great resource on vintage speakers, I could not find anything there on any Toshiba speakers at all, but when I was looking through there old Onkyo range of speakers, I found a few models that had the same form factor as my Toshiba's.
Then I found a set that had an image with a cross section showing the insides of the speaker (maybe the same as ss-41) http://www.audio-heritage.jp/ONKYO/speaker/e-83amkiii.html Because of the uncanny similarity, I started looking into these Onkyo speakers even more.
After I translated the page in google and converted mm,cm, to inches and kg to lbs, I found that the Onkyo e-154a, produced in 1968 had exactly the same dimensions and statistics as the Toshiba ss-51. http://www.jameswatt.org/ss51/statsjoined.jpg
To much similarity to be dismissed?
I have also found that the speaker connectors on the back of a few Onkyo speakers are nearly identical to the Toshiba's

Unfortunately there is very little information I can find on the net about the e-154a, I will send an email to Onkyo and Toshiba to see if they can confirm my suspicions, but any additional information anyone can supply me will be great.

TIA
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
HI.

I can't provide you additional info re: your toshiba speaker.
However, I have the onkyo 83mkII you referred to (see pic below).

DSCN1383.jpg


The Triampable speaker connectors are indeed eyecatching and very distinguishable from connectors of other speakers.

There are four pairs of posts:
fullrange
woofer
squaker
tweeter.

The box is veneer over plywood. In size it is i believe slightly bigger than the HPM100. Though not as heavy.
 
I have the onkyo 83mkII you referred to

Wow...Thanks, That detailed picture may have just confirmed it for me:thmbsp:

resized2.jpg


The Triampable speaker connectors are indeed eyecatching and very distinguishable from connectors of other speakers.

There are four pairs of posts:
fullrange
woofer
squaker
tweeter.

Yes:D, I was very happy to see very similar looking connectors on some onkyo models. Below are the ones on my Toshiba's

resized4.jpg
 
unfotunately, i don't have pictures of the rear of my onkyo speaker. However, the picture of your toshiba speaker posts looks exactly like the speaker posts of my onkyo.

edited..

DSCN1654.jpg
 
unfotunately, i don't have pictures of the rear of my onkyo speaker. However, the picture of your toshiba speaker posts looks exactly like the speaker posts of my onkyo.

Awesome!!! Now to find a good picture of the e-154a..
 
Toshiba SS-37

I was reading your post on the Toshiba speakers and was wondering if you happened to find any info on the Toshiba SS-37? I am considering buying a set, but I have absolutely no info on them. Any info you or anyone else could provide, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from Canada,
Larry
 
Toshiba SS-25

Hi folks, just thought I'd contribute a little to the Toshiba discussion.
I found some Toshiba SS-25's
Here's a couple of shots of them, they were serious about making a sealed speaker back then, the crossover plate and speaker baskets are very thoroughly glued to the cabinet.
Anyway, interesting cabinets, passive radiator and the serial numbers are in a similar model range to the above mentioned Toshiba's.
Incidentally I think these sound better with the backs off.
 

Attachments

  • SS-25frs.jpg
    SS-25frs.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 75
  • SS-25ints.jpg
    SS-25ints.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 57
  • SS-25twees.jpg
    SS-25twees.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom