• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My big Sansui score

CucamongaDan

Active Member
Never give up on that big score. It happened to me. I been looking at 3 Goodwills and a couple other thrifts that are on my way pretty regularly since the beginning of August when a loss of function in my Yamaha receiver inspired me to get more stuff. I got a stereo for every room in the house & was running out of room in the garage for the extras when I stopped in the Goodwill where I'd got my JBL 4311s but never much else and there it was. It was really big, it said Sansui on it, it was a CA-2000 preamp, a TU-9900 tuner, and A BA-2000 power amp. Really clean, everything powered up & all the lights worked in the store, and they wanted $69.99 for all three.

So I took it.

Everything's working except I haven't got the right channel on the preamp to stop cutting out when it's on aux 1. Works fine with tape jacks as input, & haven't tried the phono input yet. But oh my god is it nice. Wow. It's nicer stuff than I'd ever figured on owning.

Here's what else.

Apparently this system served our country aboard the USS Midway. Here's the tag attached to the plug on the preamp.
 

Attachments

  • CA-2000 plug tag003.jpg
    CA-2000 plug tag003.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 398
Register to hide this ad
I have a BA-2000 and it is my main amp powering my Dahlquist DQ-10's. It is a beast! You got a great deal! That stuff is worth $800 to $900! :)
 
very nice grab indeed and welcome to the world of sansui collectors which im sure youll be after listening to that setup.enjoy:thmbsp:
 
Haven't been to enough thrifts if you haven't found a set of something ;)

Only one thrift (goodwill) in my town. I swing by normally about twice a week on the way home from work. The only things I have found there are a Sansui 2000, Marantz Imperial 6g's and a Yamaha YP-D4 tt. Never saw any seperates..:no:
 
Way nice score there! Getting any ONE of those Sansui's for $70.00 would be a steal, never mind for all three of them! The USS Midway tag is very cool as well, it appears that the three items have always been together, and have led an interesting life! Have them checked out, cleaned up, and enjoy the hell out of them! :yes:
 
Very nice score.These kind of scores make me wonder why these components, that we drool over,were given up?
 
Stories like that make me mad as hell, as that never happens to me.:tears: Y is that? Am I not a good person?
Also - :worthless
 
Echo what has already been said... helluva score, and that Midway tag just makes it all the more special. :yes::thmbsp:

Wonder if you could use the tag to somehow track down the gear's history? Would be interesting to track back the previous owner history ("provenance"), like people try to do with some antiques, vintage cars and artwork. It's a bigger clue to the gear's past than one normally gets with a thrift-shop find! It adds interest, if not a lot of monetary value, to the gear itself.
 
Stories like that make me mad as hell, as that never happens to me.:tears: Y is that? Am I not a good person?

You are a wonderful person... but good Karma usually doesn't come to people when they are mad as hell, or people who demand it. Focus on being grateful and appreciative of what you DO get, and more will come. Seems that's usually how it works best.

No one does it perfectly, though. I sure don't; I'm still more than a bit jealous of this guy's turntable, no matter how I try not to be (scroll down to see it): http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Playback/MyPlayback.aspx

Oh, and that is one SPECTACULAR thrift shop score!!!
 
Big congrats! :thmbsp: That's a sweet setup, that most of us are only dreaming about, and having a unique history makes it even better. :smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom