• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Under TT Vibration Control

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey guys.
Wondering what you are using for vibration control under your turntables. I really like the look on the Ginkgo Cloud 10 and 11, but just ain't crazy about the price. Not saying it's unreasonable, just saying it don't work in my budget.... :)

http://www.gingkoaudio.com/cloud10.html
 
Register to hide this ad
I use two pieces of medium-firmness foam rubber, 5"x5"x12", one on each side going from front to back. With 5lb of aquarium gravel in the base, the foam is half-compressed. I'd say at least 95% of all vibrations are eliminated. Very ugly but very effective.
Tom
 

Attachments

  • foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 60
It's on its own shelf on a very sturdy piece of hardwood furniture. The TT itself has three spiked feet and that sits on top a piece of granite on the hardwood shelf. I don't seem to have any problems with vibration but I have thought of someday building a nice sand base for it to sit on. Sand bases seem to work great on vibration...at least for speakers.

I would think that you could make a good facsimile of the gingko cloud idea with handballs and either wood or acrylic as the structural material.
 
A sandbox for speakers........ I think I might try that!

Erik, how about the bicycle inner-tube / platform idea?

Or maybe a sandbox?
 
I've posted these picks before but I've used Neoprene and Marble floor tiles with furniture slider pads.
base3.jpg

base4.jpg

base5.jpg

base7.jpg

Unlike earlier attempts at this, the neoprene hasn't compressed over the many months this has been in use. So it's worked out well.
 
Wall-mount shelf. The Target model has adjustable spikes, which level the shelf, and isolate it, as well.
 
My Yamaha PX-2 has no suspension(I lie.The feet have springs built-in).
I bought a SAP Relaxa 3+ mag-lev platform a few years ago,and that made a noticeable,across the board improvement.
After a while I made-up a diy Rollerblock platform and placed the SAP on top of it.
I bought a Boston Audio Carbon/Graphite 'Mat 1' which made a huge improvement,so I bought some of their 'Tune Block SE' footers and replaced the original sprung Yamaha footers.
Altogether,the turntable now performs extremely well.
I'm happy with the combination of all these 'supports'.
 
I have 2 DIY sandbox iso-plats that I've built for my turntables. Very effective and very inexpensive to build. I've got a few more designs (marble/sand) that are currently on the project shelf for building. Anyway, here are a few pics and a link to the build.

I like the sandbox idea. I am considering building a TNT FleXy Table DIY audio rack with some modifications...

1. 1" acme threaded rod.
2. 1" MDF or 1" acrylic shelves.
3. A turntable shelf constructed very much like your sandbox iso-plats with the box mounted to the threaded rods and either an MDF or acrylic "floater" on a bed of sand or shot.

Martin
 
I have in the plans a triple granite pile with one piece of granite then some really short nails grinded to a fine point holding up two pieces of granite under my TT

I have the granite got it free froma granite countertop place that gives away damaged or missed cut piecses for free.
 
You can do granite on the cheap. Go to a restaurant supply place or Ikea and get a pair of marble cutting/dough boards. Remove the feet off of one. Sandwich some damping material (I used a Sorbothane sheet, or you could use some automotive damping sheets [the black tarry stuff] between the two slabs.
Set the whole thing on a set of feet (again, I used sorbothane feet).
My turntable survived and aftershock from the Northridge earthquake...no skip while playing.
 
Over time, I have tried several different combinations with varying success.

One of the quickest yet seemingly effective products is the aforementioned car dampening sheets found at most any auto parts store (I use the stuff that has adhesive on one side, fairly clean other side).

On suspended TTs, I use a marble block with the dampening sheet attached to the bottom. Place the slab on the rack, TT on the slab. Seems to work well on any music induced vibes, will do squat about trampoline floors.

My unsuspended TTs seem to prefer sitting on wood rather than the marble. I made a 1.5" thick butcher block wooden slab, again with the dampening sheet attached to the bottom to set my TT on.

I've tried homemade boxes using everything from sand to halved handballs, but between leveling and WAF, I'm fairly set on the simple solutions mentioned.
 
viberations

what i do, is to keep the t.t an tape deck seperate from the main rig. this has worked pretty good for me. sorry bout the glare but you get the idea though
 
Back
Top Bottom