• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wharfedale W90 questions...

analog addict

Glory or Death!
Subscriber
Grabbed my W90's tonight. Cosmetically they are very nice except for a missing woofer dustcap, but I couldn't get a peep out of the tweeters.

attachment.php


Opened up the back, and it looks like the X-overs have seen better days....

attachment.php


Each right sided pot had a broken cap connection, and all the caps need to be replaced anyways, and I need to double check a schematic for the connections. Anyone have a X-over schematic?

attachment.php


attachment.php


It doesn't look like anyone's been inside these, 'cause the white insulation is pristine. However, two of the mid's have ratty looking surrounds....

attachment.php


Are these foam, or some sort of coating on the real surround? They seem to sound fine. Anyone know where I can snag a correct sized woofer dust cap???

So many speakers, and so many questions......:D


Thanks......
 

Attachments

  • CIMG3013.JPG
    CIMG3013.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 367
  • CIMG3014.JPG
    CIMG3014.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 356
  • CIMG3015.JPG
    CIMG3015.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 356
  • CIMG3016.JPG
    CIMG3016.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 440
  • CIMG3018.JPG
    CIMG3018.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 357
Register to hide this ad
these must be later model W90's as they have the purple tweeter and a different cab config. than most including mine. The surrounds on those mids I believe are wool. They look like they are going bad. Those tweeters are just like in my W60's and are known to go bad and or separate from the structure. Luckily all 4 in the 2 pairs of W60's i have are fine.

So, you might be able to make some surrounds for the mids out of a similar wool something. As for the dist cap i do have a dead woofer I might be talked out of although it is perfect other than dead and i was going to try and fix it at some point.

Could you post a picture of the back of those cabs please.

K
 
I had some W-90's for a short time. They were the sand-loaded ones, and yeah they were hefty. The drivers were not particularly impressive looking, but the cabinet helped.
 
more pix....

One cabinet doesn't have a label, and the finish is slightly different. However the drivers look identical.....

attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • CIMG3019.JPG
    CIMG3019.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 308
  • CIMG3020.JPG
    CIMG3020.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 309
Say, did you ever figure out what was up with the tweeters? Were they bad, or did replacing caps fix it, or what? I have a pair of W90s that look just like yours, with the purple tweeters, but my woofer is a long horn-like piece that goes across the sides (pardon my lack of proper terminology).

On each of my cabs, one tweeter works and one has no sound.
 
I think those model W-90s were called Low Boys. I've got a set thathave the divided lower woofer cabinets with one side being a solid rear panel thats routed and sand filled and the other side is vented with side to side slots top to bottom with wool glued over the vent inside. My tweeters and mid are in the top cell with a single panel and the cross overs are divided of to the side with 2 pots and a 6 way switch for dimension. I don't have the puple fried egg tweeter. I think mine are 1964 models, but wrote Wharfedale for info and they said they had none because there storage of records were ruined in a flood/fire in 1972.
 
Back
Top Bottom