• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

More Input Needed On My H/k 930 Please!

Register to hide this ad
By your saying that the sound comes back when you rotate the balance knob, I would guess that you need to clean the pots (the inside of the back of the knobs, inside the case) with Deoxit (search for cleaning pots in the archives). If the pots are corroded, which is usual in these vintage receivers, the sound will come and go and come back when you rotate the knobs and get a better connection. Even if you have sound, cleaning the pots will often improve the sound. If this doesn't fix the problem, some of the more knowledgeable folk here should definitely be able to help you.

Hope this helps,
john
 
Yes it does help, John - this is exactly the kind of help I'm looking for.

Thanks, og.
 
Deoxit is made by a company named Caig. I've heard Home Depot has it now, not sure. I've gotten mine at a vintage stereo shop. Well worth it to have some around, if you plan on buying one or more vintage pieces. Works better than radio shack's tuner-cleaner. Though I've also heard some Radio Shacks have the actual Caig deoxit.

-john
 
Deoxit D-5 is available at Guitar Center , as well. If you have a switch or pot that has absolutey no access to the inside, a small hole can be drilled in the plastic case to introduce the cleaner. One has to be very careful as to the placement of the hole and the hole depth. This is not for the faint of heart. Most push button switches of this era can absorb some fluid through the slots that accomodate the tabs that hold the sides to the top of the switch case. A small bit of spray to soak down through these tiny openings and working the switch back and forth often yields good results.
I've had balance controls and volume pots that have needed five or so applications of D-5 and a lot of turning to bring them around. I usually follow up with a squirt of Caig Progold for lubrication.
 
I don't know if they have them up there in Canada, but I can get a 5 ounce can of Deoxit D5 at my local Fry's Electronics. Try any large electronics store (a real one, not a consumer electronics place like Best Buy).

I should mention that cleaning pots is not really that hard; first unit (and so far, only unit) I have gone through was a Sansui G-8700. It had to be almost completely disassembled. I found out later that apparently the big G-series units are among the hardest to access the pots on, but even my mechanically challenged self got it done.
 
Wonderful detailed feedback guys - I'll get on it! Thanks for the Oakville tip, Mike O.

As there is quite a 'thump' when I turn this HK930 on (no protection circuit), I now have the speakers 'off' and the volume turned right down, before going through the 'fire-up' sequence (one of the AK guys warned me about this in advance - cool eh). Is it important that the grounding connector on this unit be hooked-up? [either way, I should just do that, duhh!].

Actually, newb that I am (I just focused on the music up till now), does everyone hook-up the ground connection? - I haven't for decades!

Thanks again, og.
 
Are you talking about the ground that is by the phone input? If so, that's just the ground for the turntable, not the receiver. If you have a TT hooked up then yes, use the ground.

-j
 
Did you download the manual yet? available from Harmon Kardon on the web.

When you get your Deoxit, do the controls as discussed, then spread the love. Pull the jumpers on the back and clean them, same with the fuses. Use a Q-tip to clean the outside of each of the input connections you are going to use. You get the idea, if electricity is supposed to flow the Deoxit will help.

If you lose the jumpers, you can use standard cable set. The outer part is the ground and is common on the unit, that is why the jumpers are just the metal pins.

Breaking and remaking connections on this gear is recommended maybe annually due to the possible corrosion that can get in the way of the signal. Using the DeOxit will make things a lot better.

Does your unit light up completely? If not, while you are in there squirting DeOxit (let it dry before plugging the unit back in [yes unplug it first before going inside]) look at how to access the bulbs and get some from dwojo here on the boards and put em in.

While you have the cabinet off clean it up and if you want to make it new again there are numerous posts of folks doing just that with speakers and cabinets. Real wood refinishers at work here and a couple folks reveneering cabinets, too.

Looking at the pics you posted on the second page of the linked thread, it appears the words are painted on to the faceplate. If so, be a bit careful cleaning by not wiping as hard over the printing.

Hopefully the Deoxit will cure the missing channel situation, making the rest of the work you decide to do on the unit worthwhile.

Keep us posted.
 
I'd just add to the excellent advice above to not deoxit the tuner parts/tuner variable capacitor. This stuff is great, it really works wonders on the sound.
 
In some areas of my life, I'm learning to 'speak-it-when-it-comes-up', so:

"Wow guys, I'm 'effing' overwhelmed"! Grrrreat information, Blue Shadow!!!

Manual downloaded the first day! Courage needed to unfrock her - it always worked out tho', did it not.

og.
 
In addition to Deoxit, CRC Contact Cleaner is widely available at Home Depot and many auto parts stores. It's not quite as good as Deoxit but it's often 'good enough', easier to find and lots cheaper. The main thing is to be sure to buy CRC "Contact Cleaner" as they have similarily-named products (like "Electronics Cleaner") that aren't the same thing at all.

Use the CRC first and save the Deoxit for the really stubborn jobs.
 
When I "Deoxit-ed" the volume pot on my 730, I lost that "silky smooth" feel, the pot ended up very loose and cheap feeling. It works fine now, though every few months it requires a new treatment. It may be advisable to go with the "Faderlube" product from Caig which is specifically designed for these pots, but that's not to say it won't end up doing the same thing.
 
Cool feedback guys, thanks! I'm going to take my time over this, the '930' has started to work fine, during the past two days - maybe it hadn't been used for a while - maybe this state will be short-lived. I will treat it to a good 'clean', soon, maybe a 'professional' one - as I write, though, I realize that I do want to get in there myself:yes:.
og.
 
I learned pretty quick that if I was going to keep buying this old stuff that I'd have to open 'em up and clean. Now I'm trying to get the nerve to grab a soldering iron....
 
Back
Top Bottom