• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Got a new preamp

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
I have been looking for a nice marble base turntable for one of my tonearms for a while and picked up a KD-650 last summer. Well due to a link in $ & ¢ here, I responded to a KD-600 for sale nearby. We chatted about the TT and with it having a moving coil cartridge, needing a step up of some sort. The seller decided to throw in a Crown Phono Module...whatever that is.

I searched Crown's site and found something like it as the seller and I continued corresponding. The Module needs a power supply. He liked the switching and outlets of the power supply but then decided that he could let it go. Well the preamp uses the same power supply so for a small up charge in the selling price of the table he offered the preamp, power supply and phono module.

The pics are the Crown preamp with some black sources on top and the KD-600 with the Fidelity Research tonearm and phono module between the pre and TT.

The preamp, the power supply and the phono module.

This phono module has the gain for a MC cartridge all the way to line level, so all the preamp inputs are line level.

This equipment came with the manual (includes the SM), a copy of the three reviews of the unit from the different magazines (Crown reprints), a poop sheet and the three-ring binder that the manual comes in. Nice to have all the paperwork with this stuff even though the manual is available on-line

I have to read the manual to figure out the panorama controls on the bottom of the preamp. So far it sounds pretty good.

Here it is today with a new chunk of gear above it.
 

Attachments

  • Crown-Kenwood-.jpg
    Crown-Kenwood-.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DL2 CF-.jpg
    DL2 CF-.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DL2 P-.jpg
    DL2 P-.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DL2 B-.jpg
    DL2 B-.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 283
  • DL-2-OC-150a.jpg
    DL-2-OC-150a.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Crown DL2 power cables

After picking up a nice little (ok, so it's not so little) Crown DL2 preamp for a meer $25, I noticed that the interconnecting power cable for the MM phono adapter is missing. Does anyone have a clue where to procure another one?

Also, this unit was stored in a barn for about 10+ years. How would you get the aluminum surface clean without removing the silkscreen markings?

The inside looks spectacular, but I'll need to connect it up to see that it actually functions properly. For the investment, I still think I got a great deal.
 
Very nice! Those Crown manuals are a treat, aren't they? I have the original comb-bound one for my D150A, complete with hand written calibration notes.
 
Maybe it's time I posted a few pictures myself. I see everyone else's cool toys...makes me a little jellous.
 
Well, I plugged the DL2 into my Dynaco taking a feed from another preamp I have sitting above my test bench. No output... Perhaps this unit was zapped by lightning or something. Who knows for sure. It powers up and the logic circuits work. I can hear a faint sound when I turn it up to anything above 35, but not much else. I tried different inputs with no success. I guess it's time to take the cover off and look for signs of...well anything. Hmmmmmm
 
I had to clean the switches to get one channel all the way from an input to the output. If you are lucky that may be all you need to do.
 
Very nice. Where is your FM1?

fm11-1.jpg
 
Sam: Apparently it is sitting at your place, need my address or should I just send a shipping label? I use a Lux T-110 which is above these units.

Legal: None of the gear in the picture need ventilation. Just a corner of a preamp, the Crown Output Control (just meters and bulbs when on and speaker switching on or off) the power supply for the preamp (just power switching and a few DC voltages) the preamp (runs on DC Voltages, then an MD/CD unit.

The power amp is alone on top of the cabinet.
 
That really is an impressive Preamp! I showed the picture to my Acurus RL11, and it felt rather inadequate. Then with a very defensive tone made the comment " But does it have a Remote".:D
Great looking Rig!
Regards,
Jim
 
That really is an impressive Preamp! I showed the picture to my Acurus RL11, and it felt rather inadequate. Then with a very defensive tone made the comment " But does it have a Remote".:D
Great looking Rig!
Regards,
Jim

Well now the DL-2 is looking at your Acurus and discussing its own remote on/off, gain and input selection capabilities while envying the RL-11 wireless controls. The Crown literature states the DL-2 wireless remote was a forthcoming product due in 1980 but I have never seen one or heard anything about one other than the flyer mention it.

The DL-2 can also be computer controlled but this requires operator programming of an obsolete computer. This operator is going to have to be happy with the panoramic imaging control and all the knobs, switches, buttons and dials that may never be used. The preamp can be ganged as well. Just too much to understand.
 
Very nice! BTW: How do you like your Sony CD/MD combo unit? I have been looking to get one...

This was recently given to me by a friend. I have not started using it much, yet. He uses it to make discs for the portable unit. I foresee that as an option as well as using it to make special mixes.
 
Well now the DL-2 is looking at your Acurus and discussing its own remote on/off, gain and input selection capabilities while envying the RL-11 wireless controls. The Crown literature states the DL-2 wireless remote was a forthcoming product due in 1980 but I have never seen one or heard anything about one other than the flyer mention it.

The DL-2 can also be computer controlled but this requires operator programming of an obsolete computer. This operator is going to have to be happy with the panoramic imaging control and all the knobs, switches, buttons and dials that may never be used. The preamp can be ganged as well. Just too much to understand.

If I ever see one, I'll let you know. All those controls are gonna keep you busy for quite a while! Sure looks good though, and sounds the same I'm sure.
Regards,
Jim
 
Back
Top Bottom