• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nakamichi ZX-7

SPL db

It's all about the music!
Subscriber
I have a chance to pick one of these decks up locally that cosmetically is in very good condition.

I still have to check it out functionally though.

I have looked on the Internet and found some good info about this deck and seems like it's one heck
of a good deck.

I'd just like to hear from some of the folks that may have one of these decks.

Scott
 
Register to hide this ad
I use a zx7 and a zx9 as my main decks, I like the 7 more. Its been in the workshop quite a few times in the last 4 years, mostly problems caused by caps going bad taking out the oscillator and dolby circuits. here in the UK we are lucky to have a company called Bowers and Wilkins (yes, the speaker people!) that do good work with these machines but they have just informed me that the spares are running out for this series.

The capacitor problem is common to all older Naks and is an ongoing problem, but one that is controllable if you are good with a souldering iron. It uses the older Nak tape mech and (in UK) the belts and idlers are still available

The zx7 is one of Naks top decks with the advantage of MANUAL record allignment, so if the play heads are perfectly alligned then you will always get the best possible recording whatever tapes you are using!

Ultimately its personal choice, I have most of the top decks of the day and imho. my zx7 beats them all (including the Tandburgs!). At the right price you wont be dissapointed!
 
I've been listening to this deck all evening and must say that I agree with you persil!

I had a few tapes that sounded muddy or had dropouts where I was just going to pitch
the tape into the garbage.

That was, until I listened to them on this deck!

Not only did the deck play them flawlessly, the sound on my good tapes was much improved!

I have yet to record a tape on this deck, but I'm more than confident that this deck will
come through that task with flying colors!

If you can get one of these decks, don't hesitate!

Now to pick up some cassette music on the cheap!

Scott
 
I'm glad the zx7 pleases you, Just wait untill you hear something you have recorded yourself!

It can make the most of even the worse of cassettes including ferric (typeI) and I dont think you will require the use of the Dolby ccts - the noise floor is so low to start with!

Just remember to calibrate each tape to the machine before you begin recording, you will have to have the manual for this operation. If you haven't got it pm me and I will scan it in for you.

Enjoy!! Oh, this site may interest you? http://www.naks.com/
 
Back
Top Bottom