• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DIY tonearm and semi DIY turntable.....

Trower

Two-Headed Boy
Well hear is a project I have been working on for a little while. I got the original idea to make my own tonearm from this site http://www.altmann.haan.de/tonearm/. I looked further and found a couple threads over a DIYaudio.com about a unipivot based on Altmann's design and had to give it a wirl. The arm tube is just an arrow shaft, the headshell and arm base are from a Sansui TT that the arm tube had come unglued, the pivot point a ball point pen glued into the Sansui base, and the pivot point in the arm is just a set screw, the whole counter weight assembily is just made from random nuts and bolts and some wood, and the tonearm wires are Radioshack magnant wire. The arm is a bit rough, I am planning to build a nicer one now that I know it works well:)

The table is just some scrap plywood I found in the garage with the platter and motor from a belt drive Technics TT. I laminated it with some cork shelf liner because 1. it was cheap and easy 2. I thought it would help dampen the TT.

I just got it up and running tonight and wow does it sound good! I just cannot belive how much better it sounds than my Sansui Sr-535 I had before it. Dead quiet, very ballenced tone overall, and all this from a homade table and arm, with a 15$ cart!!

The whole project was very cheep, under 50 bux with a cartridge! Granted the cart is a 15$ AT:) But it sounds amazing in this setup:music:

some pics:thmbsp:





 
Register to hide this ad
First....Uncle Buck is classic. :yes:

Second...

How is the alignment on that?

I should look into making one for my as yet STILL unfinished now-semi-DIY tt....
 
First....Uncle Buck is classic. :yes:

Second...

How is the alignment on that?

I should look into making one for my as yet STILL unfinished now-semi-DIY tt....

I love Uncle Buck!!

The alignment I used was Loefgren 70.29/116.60, it seemed to come out the best. The arm I used a mounting distance of 12in from stylus tip to pivot point and 12in from spindle center point to pivot point on the arm. Seemed to work out well. The VTA I drilled the hole so that the arm base would work out to lvl, so the VTA is just level with the playing surface. Hope that answers your question, Nick
 
Well a little update on the table.

I added a Sumiko Pearl to the table. I also drilled out the armtube to make it lighter to better suit the Pearl. I also ended up using a Bearawald alignment, which turned out the best. really enjoying this table, sounds fantastic!
 
Well the table has undergone many changes since this version:yes:


The motor that I used for it was just too loud, I mean it was out of a low-end Technics Belt drive. So after the damage to my Sansui SR-535's arm (moved and someone damaged it during the move), I just pulled the motor and its controls out of that table and mounted that to some plywood and covered the motor in 4 pounds of Electrical duct seal (like clay but wont harden) to "deaden" it. The arm base I had been working on was mounted up. It is 4.5dx5wx1.5h with a piece of arrow shaft running through it. the arrow shaft has a section of an allen key in it with a ball point pen tip JB welded to it. The allen key pivot point is held in place by a set screw, so that the VTA can be adjusted easily. The hollow space inside the arm base was filled with 2ish pounds of Electrical duct seal. The arm I filled with sand to help eliminate resonance, and sealed off the ends with a small amount of electrical duct seal. The results are quite good, the table sounds great. The backgrounds are dead silent, and the music is very detailed with no distortion. I need to make a new plinth for it, it looks like crap right now, but it sounds good and thats really all I care about!

imgp3469.jpg

imgp3450.jpg

imgp3446.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom