• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz CD player.....Guts

Jonesy09

Super Member
I've been curious about this older player (CD-152) since picking it up at a thrift and being amazed at the sound. I cracked the case to see if it needed a new belt as the drawer isn't opening on it's own. It only needs a slight pry then opens the rest of the way on it's own. It also closes on it's own. But that's all really besides the point.

I noticed this unit is sporting Yamaha chips. I'm not proficient enough to tell what's what, DAC or whatever, but there are two of them in there. I remember a thread somehwere that stated Yamaha chips were supplied to many manufacturers for a period of time and some were considered of fairly superior quality. I'm just wondering where these sat in the chip line-up and if this is the reason I'm really enjoying this player.
 

Attachments

  • marantz 001.jpg
    marantz 001.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 69
  • marantz 002.jpg
    marantz 002.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 52
  • marantz 003.jpg
    marantz 003.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 62
  • marantz 004.jpg
    marantz 004.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 67
  • marantz 005.jpg
    marantz 005.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 87
Register to hide this ad
That transport looks very similar in design to a few Yamaha CD players from the late 80's - I had a CD-5 and CD-20 which used it.

Interesting as I wouldn't think Marantz would rebadge players...
 
Do you think it's rebadged or just uses some Yamaha sourced parts? What quality were the Yamaha parts of the time (1986 ish)?
 
Back
Top Bottom