• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which model NAK cassette deck sounds the best?

Huck

Active Member
Which model Nak cassette deck sounds the best on playback?

Hi: I have a Nak RX-202, actually two of these and to my ears they sound pretty good on playback, so I was wondering how far up the Nak line should I go for
superior sound?. These two 202's have zero tape hiss, using mostly any brand tape! Thanks, Huck
 
Register to hide this ad
They are all nice. The value leader in my opinion is the CR-3A. The Dragon is top of the line. My favorite is the 680zx. In listening there is almost no difference between the 3 listed above. The simpler naks are definately more repairable.
 
If you like the RX-202, then the RX-505 will amaze you. Separate playback & record heads, each optimized for that purpose always produce better sound & recordings, everything else being equal. RX-505 tapes don't sound pretty good, but practically exactly perfectly the same on metal or high quality CRO2. It's close enough, that the one that is lightly louder sounds better. I got both of mine for way under $200, and refurbed them with new belts. I love them. Unlike the Dragon, tapes I make on the 505s play perfectly on other decks. A side benefit is that many pre-recorded tapes sound better (or as good as) CD's. Analog smoothness and no tape hiss.
 
My penchant is for the CR-7. Sounds identical to the source plus the added convenience of playback azimuth adjustment and real time tape counter in minutes and seconds.
you can grab one for a fraction of its original price back in the late 80s and early nineties. I paid 3000 canadian dollars in 1993, quite a hefty sum then. I just got its little brother the CR-5 which sounds and looks just as good as the CR7 but without the extra features.
 
I can't comment on the fancier Nak decks, but every Nakamichi I've ever owned sounds wonderful. I've had a LX-3, CR-5a, BX-150 and BX-300. Even the 2 head decks sound great.
 
They are all nice. The value leader in my opinion is the CR-3A. The Dragon is top of the line. My favorite is the 680zx. In listening there is almost no difference between the 3 listed above. The simpler naks are definately more repairable.

+1 love my 680zx & Dragon :thmbsp:
 
I had a Nakamichi 482 that I had recently sold and then bought a CR7A..love the automatic adjustements on the CR7A...I think they all sound great...
 
My CR-2A has me digging in the cassette bins at all the GW/SA locations in a 30-mile radius! As an aside, I found a Nak Metal blank. Regular price: 25 cents... but it was half-off day! :music: I recorded Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE on it last week. Sounds fab.

So anyway, the CR-2A is definately an excellent deck that can be had for a low price; I was fortunate enough to find one that used the gear instead of the rubber wheel thingie.
 
I only compared the Dragon and the ZX-9 side-by-side through a Stax headset, so I don't know the 1000 or the CR-7 or the likes. To be quite truthfull, I couldn't hear any difference, probably because the cassette itself was the limiting factor. I choose the ZX-9 because it was much cheaper and I was told it's mechanism is less vulnerable. But I wouldn't mind having a Dragon though. ;)
 
My favorite Nak decks are...

CR-7A
ZX-9
Dragon
ZX-7

At the moment, I personally own the ZX-7 and it is a wonderful deck which sounds great and is built like a tank.
 
My CR-7A NAK has never let me down. I always wanted a Dragon, but never made the move. Playback on the CR-7A is close to pure source.
 
Dragon, ZX-7 or CR2

I am debating one of the above for a purchase right now. TheDragon scares me a little in case it needs a little work (never know) same with the ZX7. But I want one of them so bad. Sellers usually state the decks were recently serviced and perform well and sound great but it is such a gamble as you all know.

Any advice guys? Please...
Thank you. :yes:
 
I love my LX-5. 3 head, diffused resonance transport, dual capstan. Built like a tank. I bought mine new in 1983 and recently rescued one from a friend. I overhauled it and now it sounds like new. Double blind testing you can't tell if you are listening to source or tape.
 
I am debating one of the above for a purchase right now. TheDragon scares me a little in case it needs a little work (never know) same with the ZX7. But I want one of them so bad. Sellers usually state the decks were recently serviced and perform well and sound great but it is such a gamble as you all know.

Any advice guys? Please...
Thank you. :yes:

Any of those two will be fine..the ZX-7 can be had for much less than the Dragon and might even be less prone to future maintenance issues since the Dragon has the head that moves. Personally, I like the CR7A primarily because it takes all the guess work out of adjusting for tape bias and so forth..it does it automatically..the ZX-7 will do the same but its a manual adjustment..still a great deck..you cant go wrong with any of them really..The Dragon defintely has the COOL factor...
 
CR-2 and CR-3

I have purchased a CR-2 and should have it soon. I am also looking at the CR-3 just because it has the three head design. I am wondering though, all things considered, the CR-2 is probably a real benchmark in that series and will be equally pleasing as the CR-3. ***What do you guys think?*** :scratch2: I started a thread on that question but there was no response.

I would go for one of the more expensive NAK's but not just yet! There are so many out there. I do like the ZX7 and Dragon models.
After many years I am just getting back into taping again and the decks I could not afford back then are out there in great shape for low dollars. I am really happy about it as I love recording. I do need to buy a nice Revox deck. That will prove to be a challenge I am sure.
 
Back
Top Bottom