• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Getting at the switches SX-1250

Gtr_tech

New Member
Whts the easiest way to get to the switches/pots on the 1250 for cleaning? Quick'n dirty is what I'm lookin' for since this is a freebee job. It *does* have other issues (high I rail filter caps getting ready to vent) but the guy doesn't want to stick any money into it...so I don't want to invest much time into it.

The poor thing lives in a pole barn with who knows what for a speaker load. He really should just sell it.....
 
Register to hide this ad
Front panel and bottom plate have to be removed, no way around it.

Then sub assemblies come out, the deoxit can go into the switches when the deoxit tube is threaded through the springs.
 
Definately not the most fun receiver to deox. I make sure I get em all good when I'm in there so I don't have to return for a while..:no:
 
Ok....thanks for the replies guys.
Marantzfan: Whats in your gameroom game wise? I ask because I collect "golden age" arcade games and was a technician in the amusement industry for many years....when it still existed.
 
Ok....thanks for the replies guys.
Marantzfan: Whats in your gameroom game wise? I ask because I collect "golden age" arcade games and was a technician in the amusement industry for many years....when it still existed.

Greetings fellow game tech. !!!! I'm at All American Amusement in Flint, Mi.
Where did you work?
 
Ok....thanks for the replies guys.
Marantzfan: Whats in your gameroom game wise? I ask because I collect "golden age" arcade games and was a technician in the amusement industry for many years....when it still existed.

Actually, just a pool table, television with playstation and the stereo... If I had a little more room I would pick up an old game console. Something like altered beast or golden axe would be nice...:yes:
 
Too difficult to remove the push-switch boards, and the chance of damage to the wiring is high. Pop the faceplate off and clean them from the front.

switchclean_zpsgf04m04x.jpg~original


The pic shows a switch from a SX-1050, same as the 1250. The arrow points to the lower left of the switch, but it is easier (for me) to get the straw under the spring at the lower right of the switch.

I made notations about the SX-1010, which applies to all of the Pioneer gear of that era. Sorry for not having a pic of this type of switch, but if you pull the cover off of a receiver like the 1010, you'll see an opening in the switch body at the top left and top right that is perfect for getting the straw into and shooting cleaner into the switch.
 
Last edited:
Greetings fellow game tech. !!!! I'm at All American Amusement in Flint, Mi.
Where did you work?


AAhhhh....you're with Scott and Co then. Haven't seen him in over 15 years.

I've worked for several street route guys, worked for both Hank and Chris (Playland), serviced other arcades around the area, and did a few month stint down at Big Toys in Sterling Heights (Jeff's a helluva guy). Mike Wiley (Wiley Amusements) and I were supposed to partner up at one time but he flaked once he sat down and figured out the cost involved. Used to hang out with Mike all the time....another great guy. I did an internet based logic board repair thing for a while for the collectors, but that got to be more hassle than it was worth.

I really enjoyed working for Playland, but I couldn't deal with Chris. He's one of the biggest pricks I've encountered....treated everyone like ****. But the place ran flawless when I was there. I tended to cater to the pinball players and made damn sure they were 100%....clean, waxed, leveled & pitched properly with no slop in the flipper linkage. The players were *very* fussy, and who can blame them. Once you spend a certain amount of time on a machine you get to know it, and if something's off you can tell right away.

I miss working on the machines, but I don't miss the clowns I worked for. Usually wanted everything done with nothing...and done yesterday. And don't get me started on all the great old games that I had to ruin to convert them to some stupid fighting, golf, or trivia game. Ugh....I still feel guilty. But I rescued my fair share I suppose.

Since getting out of that I focused on music equipment repair full time. Guitars, amplifiers, pro sound, lighting and the like. At least that is not going to go away....

Oh....the Fish Tales at the Capitol Bowl in Owosso is in rough shape. The ball launch coil won't even get the ball to the top of the playfield. It needs leveling and pitching too 'cause it plays like ****. And the Galaxian there needs the monitor tube degaussed. Just FYI...
 
Actually, just a pool table, television with playstation and the stereo... If I had a little more room I would pick up an old game console. Something like altered beast or golden axe would be nice...:yes:

Actually you'd be better off to buy an old cabinet with a good monitor and make a MAME machine out of it. Then you can play any game you want with just the one cab to take up space. MAME is an emulator that uses the *actual* software from the real game and makes the SW think its running on its original hardware....so you can play it on a PC (or Mac). Its a real cool program that saves arcade games from the 70s and up from complete extinction. Check out this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owiiuy4Chv8
 
Back
Top Bottom