• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

oh oh, another speaker

Saratoga48

I need that radio
Should be a fun Saturday, I ran across this on craigslist "free" section. I am picking it up Saturday.

This is the ad the builders daughter was going to run before she decided to post the free ad.

1 University Kwikits KEN-15



New $248 in 1958, original owner, “expensive goodies”: C-15W woofer, H-600 midrange, HF206 hypersonic tweeter, T-30 driver, N-3 Acoustic Baton crossover @700. All original manuals, catalogs, plus GE Engineer analysis of resistances and responses & notes, personal letter to manufacturer 1969. 35.25”x29”x18.5” Solid Walnut.

university_kwikit.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Can't beat THAT for free can you?
Find a cheap, little mono tube amp.....and you're good to go!


Steve
 
WOW You just can't beat FREE!!
Heathkit had a similar speaker that had a 15" in it and a separate speaker box for the mid and tweeter, I think. Looks like it's designed to place in a corner.

CraigList is amazing
Fred
 
mating up the speaker

Can't beat THAT for free can you?
Find a cheap, little mono tube amp.....and you're good to go!


Steve

I have a few to try out with this one. Heathkit A9c, Heathkit W4 am. Bogen DB-115 and a Grommes 56 Pg that I have been trying to mate up for about 5 years. I have a feeling the W4 will win the job but all will get auditioned.

I am still looking for info on the speaker. Just found this tidbit.

"a University C 15W woofer. The speaker is shown on the right. For comparison purposes a Klipsch K 33 (1982) is shown on the left. The C 15W incorporates a 6lb 4oz Alnico V magnet, total motor assy 17 lbs.
At that time only the Tannoy 15" dual concentric contained more Alnico V magnet material than the C 15W. The dual 50 watt voice coils are aligned by two spiders. The frame is cast Al and the overall weight of the speaker is 27 lbs. Some "vintage" EV woofers were heavier but the weight was do to iron not magnet. Fs around 25cps. Designed for theater applications the unit was also found in the famous "Classic" low-boy/high-boy exponential horn developed by Abraham Cohen at University.
 
Last edited:
Neat find and solves a problem for me :thmbsp:
I have a University Companionette S-1 that had feet/base removed. Several folks suggested feet were on the bottom but the screw holes led me to think something different. From your photo it's obvious "runners" were used . . . much more compatible stylewise!

The S-1 has one C8W 8" woofer and one "gold" 4401 horn tweeter.

picture.php


Thanks for solving the riddle :yes:

Roger
 
Neat find and solves a problem for me :thmbsp:
I have a University Companionette S-1 that had feet/base removed. Several folks suggested feet were on the bottom but the screw holes led me to think something different. From your photo it's obvious "runners" were used . . . much more compatible stylewise!

The S-1 has one C8W 8" woofer and one "gold" 4401 horn tweeter.

picture.php


Thanks for solving the riddle :yes:


Roger

Here are a couple of web sites
http://www.classicaudio.ru/images/oldpages/image/university_kwikit.jpg

http://www.classicaudio.ru/images/oldpages/image/university_range2.jpg
 
Hi Sar,

Whoa, nice find ! I love old Corner Horn Speakers. My most recent find is a lightly used original owner (circa 1953'ish) Klipsch Short Horn in beautiful condition (aka "The Rebel") with a single rare fifteen inch JENSEN type "H" Concentric Coaxial. It sounds lovely with my HEATHKIT A-9C Amp. Roger,
ah ha, I have another Corner Horn with the EXACT same grill cloth as found on your Companionette. I am now confident that this Corner Horn is indeed a UNIVERSITY Corner Horn. It is very well built (heavy duty) and has a single 12" UNIVERSITY 6201 Coaxial which sounds wonderful! Sar, best of luck to you with your new Corner Horn. Please do let us know your thoughts on it's performance.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom
 
You are going to have some fun, especially for free! Like SixCats, I found a Klipsch-licences Rebel shorthorn corner cabinet last summer. It has University and Electro Voice components. My woofer is identical to yours. In fact, I have two of these woofers. They sound great!

Good luck and congratulations.
 
Hi Sar,

Whoa, nice find ! I love old Corner Horn Speakers. My most recent find is a lightly used original owner (circa 1953'ish) Klipsch Short Horn in beautiful condition (aka "The Rebel") with a single rare fifteen inch JENSEN type "H" Concentric Coaxial. It sounds lovely with my HEATHKIT A-9C Amp. Roger,
ah ha, I have another Corner Horn with the EXACT same grill cloth as found on your Companionette. I am now confident that this Corner Horn is indeed a UNIVERSITY Corner Horn. It is very well built (heavy duty) and has a single 12" UNIVERSITY 6201 Coaxial which sounds wonderful! Sar, best of luck to you with your new Corner Horn. Please do let us know your thoughts on it's performance.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom

I've only briefly tested this one. I'm fearful of blowing the speakers as I don't have any tube amps. HomerJSimpson posted a corner speaker cab a while back that has the same grill cloth. IIRC he was trying to give away the cabinet . . . no speakers inside. But I think it was similar to the OP post above.

Here's an another ad:

picture.php
Thanks for the link Saratoga48 :thmbsp:

Thanks for the links Saratoga48 :thmbsp:

Roger
 
picked it up today

Picked up the speaker today, it sounds as good as it looks. I hooked it up for a trial run with an old mono Stromberg Carlson TT. and a A9c Heathkit.
 

Attachments

  • kwikit2 003.jpg
    kwikit2 003.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 142
  • kwikit2 004.jpg
    kwikit2 004.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 136
  • kwikit2 006.jpg
    kwikit2 006.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 113
  • kwikit3 001.jpg
    kwikit3 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 112
  • kwikit3 004.jpg
    kwikit3 004.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 77
  • kwikit3 008.jpg
    kwikit3 008.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 84
  • kwikit3 010.jpg
    kwikit3 010.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I have that exact speaker, including the brochure. As far as I know it was simply a kit speaker, that you loaded your own drivers into. Mine has an Altec 604 in it.

Nice find.
 
I have that exact speaker, including the brochure. As far as I know it was simply a kit speaker, that you loaded your own drivers into. Mine has an Altec 604 in it.

Nice find.

I have the University brochure that came with this, and the Kwikits were listed on the back page of the speaker catalog. This one has the c-15 woofer
 
Back
Top Bottom