• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pas X

golana

analog
Subscriber
I bought a rack mount Dynaco? Pas3, about a year and half ago. Posted a question or 2, as it was a fixer, but noone new anything about it.
A friend ended up using a SDS power board, and recapped it. To whch my brother bought it.
Well, now back to why I bought it, I wanted one:yes: With all my research people keep recommending all new boards, new jacks, new wire, well you get the idea. Hell all that $$$:no:, at least not in buying an old chassis, then just to sink money in it.
Well, I built this, not that it came cheap, parts, boards, etc....SHIPPING!
I'm learning how to be smarter @ DIY,:thmbsp: This would be my Pas build.
A little tweaking, it sounds excellent, actually as good as anything I've personally heard, now a lot of you guys can boast a larger repository of past experience, but I'll hang with what I got:smoke:,tho' I'm toying with a line stage only build, PTP, possibly something with all cheaper parts, to see if I can do something sounding super and leave my wallet alone.
I thought, I had a problem with hum. Cleaned contacts yadda, yadda. Turned out to be too long a lead from my TT, shortened it one day, and yowza there it was quiet as all get out!
Thans for all your posts. They keep me on track! Else I'm just:stupid::stupid::stupid:
moore017.jpg

moore021.jpg

moore019.jpg

moore022.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Gil, I hope you don't mind if I answer you here. Yes this is from scratch, I assume. I sourced all parts and put it together, scratch.:scratch2:
I used a simple DPDT switch, PHONO on bottom lugs, LINE on top, Left on one side Right the other. Middle to your volume pot. I have only one set of LINE inputs so this kept my signal short. For two or more Line inputs I would have used 2 switches. in certain applications you can just reuse the tape/source switch on an original unit. G.Luck, Mike

Thanks guys it was fun and I learned a lot. Like I said, without all these thread builds I'd have been lost. My hats off to everyone who talks about this stuff it's where I learn.

phoonooo002.jpg
 
Nice job, have you gone to the Dynaco Doctor's website? Lots of good info there. I too really enjoy my old PAS preamp and have done a lot of the mods and recap, didn't want to drop a lot of cash into it so I went with all orange drop caps, it is an amazing preamp.
Im in the "planning" stage to build something similar to yours and keeping everything short path as well.

Good luck and enjoy
 
I must admit I'm a PAS 2 user myself with some basic mods as well. Do enjoy it with my Heathkit amps. Solid State sounds very thin to me nowdays. I was never a loudness button guy until I go back and listen to Solid State. I have not ran my PAS into a solid state amp so maybe thats what it needs.
 
My Pas preamp works great with a SS amp, currently using it with a SAE A502 amp and also have used it with an Onkyo amp, really drives both amps with a LOT of punch. I find the tube pre with a SS amp combo a good match...at least in my case.
 
my brother runs my first Pas with either a Mc275, or a
pair of Mc2100's. sounds so good on the 2100's!
I think I'm going to try and build one of the Nelson Pass amps, I don't always need a lot of power, but SS is intriguing.
Maybe the F5 like in special idiots build.
 
Back
Top Bottom